Ulster Squad 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Squad 2018/19

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote:It's the bit asking for a highlights package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Vebe--uOw
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Amiga500 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:What's the problem with that advert? If we need a squad prop, why not list it on a job board?
We don't need a squad prop.

We need some hardnosed f**ker that lives on raw meat and is hungry to dish out copious amounts of pain. Not another "punch the ticket" saft tackling jersey filler thank you very much.
In an ideal world yes. Do you think there is a surfeit of unidentified IQ props floating around out there?
By that standard we need better players in just about every position as we only have a handful of top class players.
What can we afford? What will Nucifuhrer allow us to sign? We are limited to signing IQ players so why not explore every possible avenue to find one? You can be sure all the best IQ options have already been explored.
If this was Ulster's only recruitment tool then it would be an issue, but if it is a widely based trawl to pick up maybe a young prop who hasn't yet been identified by other means then it is a very good move.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:That’s what I said earlier. It does not say “starting Loosie want to play in PRO14”,it says for club in PRO14.
It is indeed what you said and I wholeheartedly agree.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:It's the bit asking for a highlights package. It appears we are willing to offer an 'attractive' package to someone who we have never seen play.
It doesn't say we will offer any package at all, based on a highlights package.

Would suggest it simply means we won't even consider you unless you can show us something we think might be worth trialling.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

An IQ loosehead prop who bates all roun'im, kills dead things, ates raw meat from beasts not yet dead.

Sweet Holy FFFS, if such a creature exist Amigo, don't you think we'd be able to name him rather than place a small ad on a rugby jobs site?

There are clues aplenty, this is not an ad for a world-class player, we source those through agents, not in small ads. It could not be clearer than that this is for a young IQ prop to look for a start in the pro game.

CTFO
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:It's the bit asking for a highlights package. It appears we are willing to offer an 'attractive' package to someone who we have never seen play.

Would suggest it simply means we won't even consider you unless you can show us something we think might be worth trialling.
I would like to believe that is the case grumps but we don't have a great track record on these types of IQ signings. I hope we don't hand some guy a two year deal based on a highlights reel.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

I would like to believe that is the case grumps but we don't have a great track record on these types of IQ signings. I hope we don't hand some guy a two year deal based on a highlights reel.
Fully agree with you on that Dave, but there is nothing to suggest that is what will happen.

It might happen >jawdrop , but it's not what the wording actually says.

Some are just too quick to add 2 plus 2 and come up with 357.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

With no word of a 9 before now it looks like Stewart is either 2nd or 3rd .

While he showed some promise at the U20RWC he also revealed a couple of weaknesses and inconsistency.

I hope the powers that be are working on his passing speed and distance and his « box kicks « because he tends to kick flat rather than elevate the ball which means he is open to being charged down

A scrum half doesn’t need to be the strongest man on the pitch but he does need a consistent and reliable skill set .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fully agree with you on that Dave, but there is nothing to suggest that is what will happen.

I think it is reasonable to feel uneasy about that tweet considering the signings we have made over the last number of years.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fully agree with you on that Dave, but there is nothing to suggest that is what will happen.

I think it is reasonable to feel uneasy about that tweet considering the signings we have made over the last number of years.
I think we're all a bit gun shy because of previous bad signings, but we don't have the budget to go shopping in the high end section of the market. We are always looking for a bargain.
It's a symptom of where we are.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Maybe we pick up these guys like Adam D'Arcy, Sam Windsor etc so cheap that it's almost try before you buy. Let's not forget UR offers a unique proposition to them too. But maybe not as the agents seem to play us like a flute on the 12th.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Rest assured, every team signs its Daves.

Andy Smith from Glentoran features highly at North End.
pg106
Initiate

Post by pg106 »

ColinM wrote:Maybe we pick up these guys like Adam D'Arcy, Sam Windsor etc so cheap that it's almost try before you buy. Let's not forget UR offers a unique proposition to them too. But maybe not as the agents seem to play us like a flute on the 12th.

I wouldn’t put Adam D’arcy in the same bracket as Sam Windsor. At least D’Arcy contributed on the pitch for us and bagged a few tries.

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

pg106 wrote:
ColinM wrote:Maybe we pick up these guys like Adam D'Arcy, Sam Windsor etc so cheap that it's almost try before you buy. Let's not forget UR offers a unique proposition to them too. But maybe not as the agents seem to play us like a flute on the 12th.

I wouldn’t put Adam D’arcy in the same bracket as Sam Windsor. At least D’Arcy contributed on the pitch for us and bagged a few tries.

He was a complete unknown, a shot in the dark based on an Irish passport. So very much in the same bracket. The outcome was a bit different but that is irrelevant to the point regarding player selection.

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

If I wanted to mention Adam D'Arcy dropping the ball with the line at his mercy in the Heine quarters at Northampton, should I do it in the Moaners thread or the time to move on one?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.