Ulster Squad 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Squad 2018/19

Post by damianmcr »

Sue Dename wrote:Now this is even more frustrating, Ruan offered to return for 18/19 as a player coach with the premise of only playing 10.
Turned down by Nucifora.
feck you Nucifora
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Sue Dename wrote:Now this is even more frustrating, Ruan offered to return for 18/19 as a player coach with the premise of only playing 10.
Turned down by Nucifora.
Knew someone was refused but hadn't heard who it was, disgraceful situation anyway sending a player who does not really want to be here and his own province don't trust him at 10 either
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

1.McCall 2.Best 3.Moore 4.Henderson 5.O'Connor 6.Deysel 7.Coetzee 8.Murphy 9.Cooney 10.McPhillips 11.Stockdale 12.McCloskey 13.Marshall 14.Gilroy 15.Addison

16.Herring 17.Warwick 18.Herbst 19.Treadwell 20.Timoney 21.Stewart 22.Curtis 23.Ludik

Unused Forwards
O'Hagan, Van Der Merwe, Ah You, Kane, O'Toole, Andrew, McBurney
Browne, Dalton, Jones, Montgomery, Rea, Ross, Henry, Reidy,

Shanahan, Cairns, Lowry
Cave, Lyttle, Busby, Nelson, Owens

That pack is verging on decent. Thread bare in the half back department / backs.

Much will hinge on how good Lowry is and how quick he can get up to speed. Could be a season or two early for him. Stewart can hopefully have a season whereby he can establish himself as a credible scrum half.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:1.McCall 2.Best 3.Moore 4.Henderson 5.O'Connor 6.Deysel 7.Coetzee 8.Murphy 9.Cooney 10.McPhillips 11.Stockdale 12.McCloskey 13.Marshall 14.Gilroy 15.Addison

16.Herring 17.Warwick 18.Herbst 19.Treadwell 20.Timoney 21.Stewart 22.Curtis 23.Ludik

Unused Forwards

Shanahan, Cairns, Lowry

That pack is verging on decent. Thread bare in the half back department / backs.

Much will hinge on how good Lowry is and how quick he can get up to speed. Could be a season or two early for him. Stewart can hopefully have a season whereby he can establish himself as a credible scrum half.
On the rare occaision in which there is a clean bill of the health in the pack, it does look deece. I'd be worried if McCall is our first choice LH next season.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I think with Murphy and coetzee adding to the back row we need to develop timoney as a 7. The guy has pace to burn and along with reidy are our most mobile back rowers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote:1.McCall 2.Best 3.Moore 4.Henderson 5.O'Connor 6.Deysel 7.Coetzee 8.Murphy 9.Cooney 10.McPhillips 11.Stockdale 12.McCloskey 13.Marshall 14.Gilroy 15.Addison

Unused Forwards

Shanahan, Cairns, Lowry

Marshall should be playing 12 with Cave at 13.
We need to find a second 9 from somewhere.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

This may have been mentioned elsewhere but after today I think we can say with confidence that Jared won’t be back in a playing capacity. Those leaving/retiring went through a players tunnel after the lap of “honour” - Jared joined them. Let’s hope he is retained in his current coaching capacity.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Snipe Watson wrote:

Unused Forwards

Shanahan, Cairns, Lowry

Ive noticed a few having a pop at McCloskey. I know you are not having a pop at him, only suggesting No Hands Luke instead. Are you not a fan of Sonny Bill McCloskey Snipe?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Unused Forwards

Shanahan, Cairns, Lowry

Ive noticed a few having a pop at McCloskey. I know you are not having a pop at him, only suggesting No Hands Luke instead. Are you not a fan of Sonny Bill McCloskey Snipe?
I don't think he's a great 12. Too much of a one trick pony. I like a 12 with more guile than he seems possess. Crash it up the middle and look for the offload has been rumbled and reduced to crash it up the middle.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Marshall should be playing 12 with Cave at 13.
Would be happy enough with that centre pairing also Snipe.

It's the positions where there is no debate as to who should be starting that concerns..... namely scrum half and out half. Loose head prop also.

Also a bit staggered that our forwards look stronger than our backs on paper, something that has not been said in a long time.

Now where can we find a fella that plays scrum half and out half......
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

NHL as first receiver for a young 10?

No thanks.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:This may have been mentioned elsewhere but after today I think we can say with confidence that Jared won’t be back in a playing capacity. Those leaving/retiring went through a players tunnel after the lap of “honour” - Jared joined them. Let’s hope he is retained in his current coaching capacity.
He has retired, did you not get the email , and good riddance
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:NHL as first receiver for a young 10?

No thanks.
NHL is a recent development. He was a much better ball player when he was playing 12 regularly.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:This may have been mentioned elsewhere but after today I think we can say with confidence that Jared won’t be back in a playing capacity. Those leaving/retiring went through a players tunnel after the lap of “honour” - Jared joined them. Let’s hope he is retained in his current coaching capacity.
Jarad is gone they just haven't told us yet..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Bring Humph On!! wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Unused Forwards

Shanahan, Cairns, Lowry

I don't think he's a great 12. Too much of a one trick pony. I like a 12 with more guile than he seems possess. Crash it up the middle and look for the offload has been rumbled and reduced to crash it up the middle.
Still not sure whether that first break thru year was coached out of him like with others,,, we have had a habit of centres coming thru that simply never kicked on and delivered at the higher stage and became a bit one dimensional.... not sure we play that off loading game that might benefit him and he has been asked to make up for lack of any ball carrying in the back row... apart from that a poor mans SBW's who as a one trick pony I would still take even at his age.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU