Ulster V Ospreys SDC Qualification

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster V Ospreys SDC Qualification

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:That was a good win today for Ulster after a somewhat difficult season.
I was a bit surprised that not many fans turned up for such an important match.
And there I was thinking that Leinster fans were fickle!
Anyway, with a new coach and new players, the only way from here is up.
There's a reason there were no fans

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cockatrice wrote:Yep all the plastic supporters stayed away after all they aren't real ones... I turned up more often that Ulster have in the past couple of years but then what is a supporter these days?
This needs its own thread.

I've no clue what an Ulster supporter is or how I should behave.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Was at the game. Glad I went, the team have been in an awful position this season with coaching feck ups but have fought tooth and nail these last few games. We have lost an international backline and been without our main forwards for most of the year. I'm glad we are in Europe's top competition as this is where the players want to be. Feck Logan, firfu and Joey stay where u are. Ulster have been served an injustice this year but we will rise again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

Russ wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:That was a good win today for Ulster after a somewhat difficult season.
I was a bit surprised that not many fans turned up for such an important match.
And there I was thinking that Leinster fans were fickle!
Anyway, with a new coach and new players, the only way from here is up.
There's a reason there were no fans

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dublin 4 is a sanctimonious fool.
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

promsandwich wrote:
Liz Fraser wrote:
promsandwich wrote:
Dave wrote:[quote="promsandwich"

There was nothing about my post that suggested you were there. This post, a bit like the last one, makes no sense. If I, or anyone else wants to come on and celebrate the win then so what? My 'rant' was nothing other than suggesting that those players that did well today deserve credit for their performance added to the fact that, as poor as the position that we are presently in, we as fans either need to decide to support the team as it now is, or move on.
How do we then object to the current regime with those two options?
So basically it's bury our heads in the sand as we are taken to oblivion or we walk away and forget about it.
How will that help?
Why should I walk away from a something I care passionately about because of the self interests of the current custodians of Ulster Rugby?
Sorry if itt irks the 'true' fans but I'm through with people p1ssing on my back and telling me it's raining.
I don't think that anyone has the right to define themselves as a 'true' fan and therefore attempt to denigrate others. The question you pose, about how to support the team while expressing dissatisfaction with the regime is not one that I have the answer to. I really struggled with whether or not to continue to attend in the aftermath of the PJ/Olding debacle and the general conduct of the Logan stewardship. Today I went to support the team. It is very difficult to know what could affect the upper echelons of the management, particularly when I saw the video of the stewards removing a 'Logan Out' banner from some supporters a few weeks ago. It seemed to me that those supporters were entitled to be there as they had paid for their ticket and that there was no legal basis upon which the stewards could remove their banner from them. I wish I knew an effective method for demonstrating against those who run the 'club' as we like to think of it. But despite the effort I have put in I can't think of any way that is effective and that certainly leads to the biggest fan disconnect from those that run the club that I can remember.
[/quote]
Fair point but people will make you feel you are not a true fan if you go against the regime.
The 'true' I put in quotes as I get the impression that by supporting the team no matter is a true reflection of what a proper supporter should be.
You are struggling to find appropriate action.
STAY AWAY and don't buy merchandise as I've said for weeks now.
The 10000 odd empty seats today will say more than any protest or banner will.
Its the only action that will hit home to the powers that be.
Or start an alternative AFC Wimbledon style club.
The Alternative Ulster.
Try outs in Musgrave Park a week Tuesday.
All welcome.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Cockatrice wrote:
I don't think that anyone has the right to define themselves as a 'true' fan and therefore attempt to denigrate others. The question you pose, about how to support the team while expressing dissatisfaction with the regime is not one that I have the answer to. I really struggled with whether or not to continue to attend in the aftermath of the PJ/Olding debacle and the general conduct of the Logan stewardship. Today I went to support the team. It is very difficult to know what could affect the upper echelons of the management, particularly when I saw the video of the stewards removing a 'Logan Out' banner from some supporters a few weeks ago. It seemed to me that those supporters were entitled to be there as they had paid for their ticket and that there was no legal basis upon which the stewards could remove their banner from them. I wish I knew and effective method for demonstrating against those who run the 'club' as we like to think of it. But despite the effort I have put in I can't think of any way that is effective and that certainly leads to the biggest fan disconnect from those that run the club that I can remember.
I presume there was not a single form of protest today or a raised voiced against the man who considers Ulster to be his property?
No idea. Didn't get into the ground until 10 minutes before kick off and there didn't appear to be any during the game.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Sometimes a vocal small crowd is better than a full house in supporting the team.

My feeling would be that many season ticket holders took a hump at being asked to pay for an extra game , then there are those who have a hump against the upper rows in the stands Logan and the IRFU.

But despite the lack of loyalty to the players by the management the Players went out on to the pitch and played for their own pride so hats off to them -- they know Paddy and Stuart they have played with them . Trained with them. Observed the pain and worry they have gone through in the last nine months and they have no way to improve the lot for them.

All they can do is show their own character to rise above the swamp . So well done those boys.

McPhillips stikes me as one of those players who improves when playing with better players he can raise his game to match. He needs a bit more coaching and practice at his kicking, place and out of hand, to become aware of his limitations and surroundings, but he has a good eye for space and if he can develop pace and consistence into his passing he will make the grade . Forget the gym spend the summer on the field at Ravenhill developing the skills with a ball.

The one good thing about the match was the backline on the pitch didn't include any leavers and the only leavers in the pack are Diack and Black and faces to replace them have already signed .

A new coach and some added strength in depth is really what is needed quickly because what was on the pitch is basically all that is in the cupboard. The Academy may have some coming through but fact is the need is not two years away the need is now.

So good win happiness -- if Logan leaves and the crowds return -- real JOY

If justice had been done we would be in heaven
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

I went. Crap crowd, but yes the atmosphere was surprisingly good. Ospreys were not great but we had basically a team of daves and youngsters. And the kids were excellent and, dammit, even the daves did their bit. Our scrum was good and by the end of the game the Hairsprays pack had given up. I would have given O'Toole the m.o.m. 19 year old prop thrown in at the last minute and played the whole match . Never gave an inch. Gilroy's afterburners were working well. Half-backs outplayed their opponents. And for those who are sorry we're in the SDC rather than the Parker Pen, there are a million reasons why it's important we made it.

Understand our steamed CEO will not see the month out. I hope that really is the case.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Liz Fraser wrote:
promsandwich wrote:
Liz Fraser wrote:
promsandwich wrote:
Dave wrote:[quote="promsandwich"

There was nothing about my post that suggested you were there. This post, a bit like the last one, makes no sense. If I, or anyone else wants to come on and celebrate the win then so what? My 'rant' was nothing other than suggesting that those players that did well today deserve credit for their performance added to the fact that, as poor as the position that we are presently in, we as fans either need to decide to support the team as it now is, or move on.
How do we then object to the current regime with those two options?
So basically it's bury our heads in the sand as we are taken to oblivion or we walk away and forget about it.
How will that help?
Why should I walk away from a something I care passionately about because of the self interests of the current custodians of Ulster Rugby?
Sorry if itt irks the 'true' fans but I'm through with people p1ssing on my back and telling me it's raining.
I don't think that anyone has the right to define themselves as a 'true' fan and therefore attempt to denigrate others. The question you pose, about how to support the team while expressing dissatisfaction with the regime is not one that I have the answer to. I really struggled with whether or not to continue to attend in the aftermath of the PJ/Olding debacle and the general conduct of the Logan stewardship. Today I went to support the team. It is very difficult to know what could affect the upper echelons of the management, particularly when I saw the video of the stewards removing a 'Logan Out' banner from some supporters a few weeks ago. It seemed to me that those supporters were entitled to be there as they had paid for their ticket and that there was no legal basis upon which the stewards could remove their banner from them. I wish I knew an effective method for demonstrating against those who run the 'club' as we like to think of it. But despite the effort I have put in I can't think of any way that is effective and that certainly leads to the biggest fan disconnect from those that run the club that I can remember.
Fair point but people will make you feel you are not a true fan if you go against the regime.
The 'true' I put in quotes as I get the impression that by supporting the team no matter is a true reflection of what a proper supporter should be.
You are struggling to find appropriate action.
STAY AWAY and don't buy merchandise as I've said for weeks now.
The 10000 odd empty seats today will say more than any protest or banner will.
Its the only action that will hit home to the powers that be.
Or start an alternative AFC Wimbledon style club.
The Alternative Ulster.
Try outs in Musgrave Park a week Tuesday.
All welcome.[/quote]

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about how people try and make you feel. I don't think there is an easy answer. Do what is right for you!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Gary wrote:I went. Crap crowd, but yes the atmosphere was surprisingly good. Ospreys were not great but we had basically a team of daves and youngsters. And the kids were excellent and, dammit, even the daves did their bit. Our scrum was good and by the end of the game the Hairsprays pack had given up. I would have given O'Toole the m.o.m. 19 year old prop thrown in at the last minute and played the whole match . Never gave an inch. Gilroy's afterburners were working well. Half-backs outplayed their opponents. And for those who are sorry we're in the SDC rather than the Parker Pen, there are a million reasons why it's important we made it.

Understand our steamed CEO will not see the month out. I hope that really is the case.
Due to the win the IRFU have to turned down the request for him to be released... so win win for the true supporters. A few days ago they turned down the chance to resign an international 10 next year. They will force thru the move north of Leinster's back-up 10/15 to improve his game and prepare him to replace Sexton...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Cockatrice wrote:
Gary wrote:I went. Crap crowd, but yes the atmosphere was surprisingly good. Ospreys were not great but we had basically a team of daves and youngsters. And the kids were excellent and, dammit, even the daves did their bit. Our scrum was good and by the end of the game the Hairsprays pack had given up. I would have given O'Toole the m.o.m. 19 year old prop thrown in at the last minute and played the whole match . Never gave an inch. Gilroy's afterburners were working well. Half-backs outplayed their opponents. And for those who are sorry we're in the SDC rather than the Parker Pen, there are a million reasons why it's important we made it.

Due to the win the IRFU have to turned down the request for him to be released... so win win for the true supporters. A few days ago they turned down the chance to resign an international 10 next year. They will force thru the move north of Leinster's back-up 10/15 to improve his game and prepare him to replace Sexton...
They can force through JC's move all they like, doesn't mean he'll be picked ahead of McP. This happened a few years ago with Jared. FIRFU were telling us to play him in the centre, and he was picked mostly at 15 IIRC.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I hope JC does come up the M1, we need a 15

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

In my view there was one very significant moment after the game. The entire squad including those retirees/leavers not playing gathered round in a circle and being spoken to by Rory. That Rory would do this is only to be expected from a player of his stature and class. But nevertheless I was struck by the very public on pitch address to the players and in my view that was a very deliberate act. Maybe I am being deluded but that moment seemed to be a clear and public sign that this is again a united team. Can anyone tell me where I have misread the situation?
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

horslips wrote:In my view there was one very significant moment after the game. The entire squad including those retirees/leavers not playing gathered round in a circle and being spoken to by Rory. That Rory would do this is only to be expected from a player of his stature and class. But nevertheless I was struck by the very public on pitch address to the players and in my view that was a very deliberate act. Maybe I am being deluded but that moment seemed to be a clear and public sign that this is again a united team. Can anyone tell me where I have misread the situation?
I think that’s a fair assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ladyboy696969
Novice

Post by ladyboy696969 »

Well done Ulster.
Very important for all the IRFU family that we have 3 teams in next years Euro Cup.
I bet yer glad this season is finally over. Holy sh@t!
Next year just cannot be any worse, the only way is up. :mexican: