You're a battering ram who can't pass

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: You're a battering ram who can't pass

Post by Snipe Watson »

kingofthehill wrote:Need a ball player in the backline,Stu is not a ball player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christian Lealiifano is a ball player by the way.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 0364c17918
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

kingofthehill wrote:Need a ball player in the backline,Stu is not a ball player.

I agree, Payne would have been very useful this season
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's a pity we gave two away.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:

Made himself unavailable for the June test series

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Made himself unavailable for the June test series

He needs a break before the Super knockout stages. Although Brumbies are a long shot for making it out of the groups.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Come on give the guy a break ' Not a ball player "

What he does he does well, but he has never really been asked or expected to be a ball player at Ulster .

He has been used as a first phase ball carrier, not necessarily as first phase first receiver . N.B. if the defence has been given sufficient time to reform across the pitch, whether you are on the first play or 21 first play, you can still be in first phase mode.

The problem then arises the backline play becomes predictable and marked ensuring that the opposition either slow the recycle or force a non release of the ball if Mccloskey fails to get over the gain with support.

Ulster's other problem is that Luke Marshall is also an inside centre who is a ball player but is less effective at getting the ball to the gain line but has the ability to make the backline play less predictable but being an inside centre, when playing outside centre, he has never fully developed the timing of a pass to his wings either to soon or too late. Stockdale has scored trys but few have been scored from a pass made by Luke Marshall.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:Come on give the guy a break ' Not a ball player "

What he does he does well, but he has never really been asked or expected to be a ball player at Ulster .

He has been used as a first phase ball carrier, not necessarily as first phase first receiver . N.B. if the defence has been given sufficient time to reform across the pitch, whether you are on the first play or 21 first play, you can still be in first phase mode.

The problem then arises the backline play becomes predictable and marked ensuring that the opposition either slow the recycle or force a non release of the ball if Mccloskey fails to get over the gain with support.

Ulster's other problem is that Luke Marshall is also an inside centre who is a ball player but is less effective at getting the ball to the gain line but has the ability to make the backline play less predictable but being an inside centre, when playing outside centre, he has never fully developed the timing of a pass to his wings either to soon or too late. Stockdale has scored trys but few have been scored from a pass made by Luke Marshall.
The quote is direct from an interview by UR PR posted by UR PR

Head of PR out

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Big stu does what he does well. Everyone expected olding to have a higher ceiling but in all honesty delivered very little for Ulster taking his horrific injury profile into account. If we produce a pack of forwards to tie in back rows better I expect stu to become the mainstay at 12. We'd have been much worse off without him these last 2 seasons.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

UR PR would never admit Ulster are predictable .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

100%, he is a decent player in certain circumstances and we know there are coaches who have a hard-on for big blundering carriers, usually, a smattering of ball playing talent means that player is valuable. I am convinced Big Stu is coached to take no chances, to simply make his yards and protect and present the ball.

As we know that is all well and good if you then have Marcell Coetzee arriving to murder any clown who would think of poaching the ball and carrying it on himself, but sadly we have played the best part of 45 games without him over the last 2 seasons.

I have no absolute dislike of either Big Stu or NHL as players, just as a partnership where they struggle to have a creative bone between them.

I remain convinced that either one of them would fair better with Cave as a partner and in NHL's case that would be Cave at 12 ........for he'd never touch the ball at 13.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
100%, he is a decent player in certain circumstances and we know there are coaches who have a hard-on for big blundering carriers, usually, a smattering of ball playing talent means that player is valuable. I am convinced Big Stu is coached to take no chances, to simply make his yards and protect and present the ball.

As we know that is all well and good if you then have Marcell Coetzee arriving to murder any clown who would think of poaching the ball and carrying it on himself, but sadly we have played the best part of 45 games without him over the last 2 seasons.

I have no absolute dislike of either Big Stu or NHL as players, just as a partnership where they struggle to have a creative bone between them.

I remain convinced that either one of them would fair better with Cave as a partner and in NHL's case that would be Cave at 12 ........for he'd never touch the ball at 13.
It's not that long ago that NHL was more than decent inside O'Driscoll for Ireland. I have always thought 12 should be his position, but he would need to rediscover the form he had before the concussions. Could be a confidence thing.