Dan McFarland

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Dan McFarland

Post by kingofthehill »

breakdown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Payne confirmed as a coach (not sure its defence).

Great to see our new head coach getting a say.

Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wouldn't it be great if Dan asked for Girrid as backs coach & for Slogan to pack Peel away in one of his black begs when he's leaving?

As for "Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" this is very often misattributed to Einstein, just saying in case some poster makes a fool of themselves by saying, "As Einstein said ....."

Yis are helped so yis are. >EW
Personally think Payne has the makings of a good coach

He’s clearly very intelligent rugby wise, and there is a vast difference in “jobs for the boys” for someone like Payne, Ruan etc compared to Doak and Clarke who only have a handful of Irish caps and a european cup to their name. But time will tell
No doubt but why not learn your trade outside of ulster and come back. Payne could be good and he could also be an expensive mistake.

ROG is the perfect example of what players serious about coaching do.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Dan McFarland

Post by breakdown »

kingofthehill wrote:
breakdown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results.

Wouldn't it be great if Dan asked for Girrid as backs coach & for Slogan to pack Peel away in one of his black begs when he's leaving?

As for "Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" this is very often misattributed to Einstein, just saying in case some poster makes a fool of themselves by saying, "As Einstein said ....."

He’s clearly very intelligent rugby wise, and there is a vast difference in “jobs for the boys” for someone like Payne, Ruan etc compared to Doak and Clarke who only have a handful of Irish caps and a european cup to their name. But time will tell
No doubt but why not learn your trade outside of ulster and come back. Payne could be good and he could also be an expensive mistake.

To be fair any coach has to start some where, ROG could just as well have started at Munster

With Payne I would be fighting tooth and nail to keep him around, again with ROG it’s only a matter of time before he takes a role with Munster, if Payne left to go coach elsewhere there’s no guarentee he’d come back. So yes, it could be a mistake but it could also be a mistake to let him go elsewhere first
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

breakdown wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
breakdown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

To be fair any coach has to start some where, ROG could just as well have started at Munster

With Payne I would be fighting tooth and nail to keep him around, again with ROG it’s only a matter of time before he takes a role with Munster, if Payne left to go coach elsewhere there’s no guarentee he’d come back. So yes, it could be a mistake but it could also be a mistake to let him go elsewhere first
ROG will come back a better coach.

kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

kingofthehill wrote:
ROG was on the radio the other day talking about their (Crusaders) get out of jail against the Waratahs. I couldn't follow a word of what he said, and the interviewer gave up!
He might have yup did a bit of work on his kiwi accent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Pretty sure it won't end up like the last time we tried to sign someone from the SRU whilst he too was under contract across the water... but then again we ended up with a bums on seat signing making him the highest paid player in the Pro12/14 and who is leaving us for a bigger pay day elsewhere..
Have UR not reported that he is signed up with the timing of his arrival the only outstanding issue?
It's just the penurious SRU doing what they always do. Sniffing around looking for money like a boar on a truffle hunt.
Nice Snipe, though for preference, I think parsimonious rolls better off the tongue. Each to their own. >EW
Parsimonious is one of your words. Didn't like to elbow in on your territory. It would be poor form.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

kingofthehill wrote:
breakdown wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
breakdown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

My guess is Jirrid's plan is to cut his teeth on the basketcase that is Ulster, then pi55 off back home, and he'll be a better coach for it!
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Snipe Watson wrote:Remember Bryn said that our new coach was signed, but it would take a few weeks to straighten out the details, but the name was leaked within hours?
Welcome to the few weeks Bryn was referring to; which have now been made more complicated buy the fact that some gobby Mexican leaked it.
Well, if Byrn had shut his mouth and kept quiet then it likely would all have been sorted by now.

Too eager to appear smart and in charge. In the end just looking very stupid.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Amiga500 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Remember Bryn said that our new coach was signed, but it would take a few weeks to straighten out the details, but the name was leaked within hours?
Welcome to the few weeks Bryn was referring to; which have now been made more complicated buy the fact that some gobby Mexican leaked it.
Well, if Byrn had shut his mouth and kept quiet then it likely would all have been sorted by now.

When your back is against the wall you do stupid things. Couldn’t agree more Amiga.

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Amiga500 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. He had either signed something that said he will start in January and earlier by agreement; or something that said he would start here in the summer despite being contracted elsewhere. Neither are things to be excited and talking about on TV. Preferred candidate identified, finalising negotiation would have sufficed.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

maybe who ever leaked the news was told to do to stop the Ulster Supporters reaction to PJ -- realising that we in Ulster had a better understanding of the nature of the case and the parties involved and therefore a better understanding of their innocence and the fact that prosecution was an exercise in character assassination rather than a pursuit of a guilty verdict .

But failed to recognise in this instance half a loaf wasn't the answer but only added insult to injury .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Throw in a magic bullet and a grassy knoll and Wham.... We have a blockbuster!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lost respect for Bryn after the micro climate BS. Couldn't take him seriously after that.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rockrugger
Novice

Post by Rockrugger »

Bryn Cunningham quiz question: Name 3 good signings for Ulster Rugby Bryn Cunningham has personally negotiated?
You will struggle !

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Was it Brun who came out with the line about being pleased that it was no-one the press had mentioned before? I thnk his handling of it was asking for trouble, although then again, it may have been done to try to reassure and appease fans. Some may buy a ST knowing that a good coach is on the way compared to saying nothing.

Whether the leak or discovery would have come out at the same time who knows, but Bryn”$ PR piece does appear to have precipitated this.

The other unknown is McFarland’s reaction to the leak, given he was the one who would have wanted it kept quiet...which we managed for about 24 hours. May be an early insight for him into how UR operates...
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Bart S wrote:Was it Brun who came out with the line about being pleased that it was no-one the press had mentioned before? I thnk his handling of it was asking for trouble, although then again, it may have been done to try to reassure and appease fans. Some may buy a ST knowing that a good coach is on the way compared to saying nothing.

Whether the leak or discovery would have come out at the same time who knows, but Bryn”$ PR piece does appear to have precipitated this.

The other unknown is McFarland’s reaction to the leak, given he was the one who would have wanted it kept quiet...which we managed for about 24 hours. May be an early insight for him into how UR operates...
Yeah, you're probably right. A stoney "No comment" would have been preferable but in these touchy feely modern days, that doesn' t do it.

The leak allegedly, came from some clown in D4.

i'm sure McF was left in a bad situation but that would've been the last thing Bryn wanted. Call me paranoid, but Slogan's statement that he had nothing to do with the decision, suggests Bryn was given enough rope to hang himself. I wouldn't put it past that toe rag Slogan to have rung some accquaintance in D4, to tell him the news and maybe even ask him to leak it. Stranger things have happened.