Dan McFarland

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Dan McFarland

Post by Dave »

Ulster Rugby can confirm that Dan McFarland will take the reins as Head Coach next season on a three-year contract.

The highly-rated Englishman is currently working with the Scottish national team as Assistant Coach to Gregor Townsend.

He made a seamless transition from playing to coaching at Connacht in 2006, taking up the Forwards Coach role before becoming their Assistant Coach in 2010.

During his time with Connacht he also held Head Coach positions with Emerging Ireland and the Ireland Wolfhounds.

McFarland took over as Assistant Coach at Glasgow Warriors in 2015 and he worked alongside Townsend before the pair took up posts with the national side in May 2017.

Commenting on his move to Belfast, Dan said:

"I am really excited that I will be taking on the Ulster Head Coach role. I know firsthand from my years visiting with Connacht and Glasgow the passion and fervour that makes playing in front of Ulster fans so special.

"It's a club with a great history and I welcome the challenge of being a part of their future."

Commenting on the appointment, Bryn Cunningham, Ulster Rugby's Operations Director said:

"Dan was our number one candidate so we're obviously very happy to have secured his services for the next three years. Dan's CV is hugely impressive and he commands great respect within the game. 

"He enjoyed successful spells with Connacht and Glasgow, and the fact that Gregor brought him into the Scotland set-up speaks volumes for how highly he rates him.

"Our priority in this process was to identify and recruit the best possible candidate first and foremost. With the confirmation of Dan's appointment, we will be announcing at least one further addition to the coaching team in the near future to ensure that we have a strong unit in place in advance of pre-season."

Shane Logan, Ulster's Chief Executive, added:

"I'd like to congratulate Bryn and our Professional Game Board for conducting such a thorough process that has led to this appointment.

"We have worked closely with the IRFU and are very pleased with the outcome."
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
mea97mb
Squire

Re: Dan McFarland

Post by mea97mb »

Just says next season, no mention of actual start date. Wonder is that still to be negotiated and UR put this out there to stop everyone speculating on who the coach is?
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

mea97mb wrote:Just says next season, no mention of actual start date. Wonder is that still to be negotiated and UR put this out there to stop everyone speculating on who the coach is?
He will be joining in mid-January. Apprently Doak is returning as interim acting Head Coach for first few months.
It's the hope that kills you.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Meh.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Very clearly highly rated, and the IRFU will be pleased to get someone familiar back in the system. Win win all round :thumleft:
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

We have 9 months to wait .... Ummmmm ... do do doooo dooo doooo .... anyone know any good jokes? ... wanna play a card game?

The season tickets will be flying off the shelves ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's announced now in order to sell season tickets and assure players who are coming. They deliberately didn't mention he won't be here until January.

I see Logan is already absolving himself of all responsibility.

Logan out.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

January would be a fecking joke.
We need a head coach in place the minute Gibbes fecks aff.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Logan spotted in fake moustache and nose glasses at George Best airport heading for Alicante ...

It must be true.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Tender wrote:January would be a fecking joke.

Pre season with Peel ... i.e running on sand dunes while Stu practises running into things.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Good luck.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Pince nez Fleg
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

Dave wrote:It's announced now in order to sell season tickets and assure players who are coming. They deliberately didn't mention he won't be here until January.

Logan out.
The positive way to read his remarks is to conclude that Slogan had absolutely nothing to do with the appointment - an odd admission for a CEO who claims to leading from the front.
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

GUBU wrote:
Dave wrote:It's announced now in order to sell season tickets and assure players who are coming. They deliberately didn't mention he won't be here until January.

Logan out.
The positive way to read his remarks is to conclude that Slogan had absolutely nothing to do with the appointment - an odd admission for a CEO who claims to leading from the front.
Good point.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Tender wrote:January would be a fecking joke.
We'll be out of the parker pen before he arrives.