Dan McFarland

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dan McFarland

Post by ColinM »

Cockatrice wrote:I have read reports that Dan was the Head Coach of the Wolfhounds and Emerging Ireland and elsewhere that he was part of the coaching set up... is this more window dressing or can someone confirm what he coached?

This seems a genuine enough claim, however quite how much this adds to a CV is questionable. Doak, Clarke, Bradley and others we wouldnt want near the place can also make similar claims. As I said yesterday I think this is appears an interesting appointment on a number of levels

+ve three years allows us to align coaching team contracts (finally)
+ve I rate Townsends judgement above anyone we have presiding over such matters
+ve knows the IRFU system and politics and has form for holding down a role more than 5 minutes

-ve never been a Head Coach over anything more than a scratch team
-ve Starting date???
-ve A big enough name/reputation to attract the quality of player we have struggled to find?
May 26 2014 5:05 PM

THE Emerging Ireland coaching team have named their 26-man squad to compete in the IRB Nations Cup in Romania next month.

Head coach Dan McFarland (Connacht) and assistant Neil Doak (Ulster) will marshall their troops for three games in the tournament, with the first on Friday June 13 against Russia. The second is five days later against Uruguay on Wednesday June 18 and the final match coming against hosts Romania on Sunday June 22.

McFarland said:, "I am looking forward to working with Neil and this exciting group of players in what will be a highly competitive tournament. It is a great opportunity for players to showcase their abilities and represent their country.”

Ireland senior head coach Joe Schmidt said: "There is a good mix of experienced and younger players in this squad. They will face three tough fixtures as Romania have already qualified for RWC14 and both Uruguay and Russia are in the final stages of the Repechage for World Cup qualification.”

Players from previous Emerging Ireland squads who have subsequently been capped for Ireland include Dave Kearney, Jack McGrath, Marty Moore and Jordi Murphy and six from last year's Emerging Ireland squad will travel with the senior team to Argentina.
This is one hell of an 'A' team
Ireland Wolfhounds coach Dan McFarland has been given access to some of the country's biggest hitters for Friday's match with England Saxons.

Sean O'Brien returns to a green jersey, at openside, as does Keith Earls [outside centre].

Felix Jones, starting at fullback, is named captain and in a back three with Fergus McFadden and Luke Fitzgerald. Gordon D'Arcy partners Earls in midfield.

The half backs are Ian Madigan and Kieran Marmion with Isaac Boss and Noel Reid, who can also cover midfield, in reserve.

O'Brien is in an all-Leinster back row, alongside Dominic Ryan and Jack Conan. Iain Henderson and Mike McCarthy are in the second row, with a chance to cover Paul O'Connell and Devin Toner, against Italy, up for grabs.

It is an all-Leinster front row, too, as Jack McGrath is joined by Richardt Strauss and Mike Ross. The inclusion of Ross would raise the possibility of Marty Moore starting the Six Nations opener against the Italians.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I would consider it a positive if his name is small enough to put off Joey Carberry.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

My one contribution here. We've got our new coach and until events prove otherwise, I am happy to support UR's decision. Let's not get into criticism mode just because that's what we seem to do best! Talking to a few rugby people last night, it is clear McFarland is rated very highly inside the game. If he brings the same success to our forwards as he did with Glasgow, then this could all work out very well. Now if we could get Doak back instead of Peel, then maybe next season won't be the disaster most of us are fearing.

I understand that McFarland will be with Ulster for the start of the new season unless UR and the SRU have a serious falling out.

Now, has Walter Mitty resigned yet?
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'm not sure that I take much from the 'highly rated' comments after experiencing Les Kiss for 2 years. I'm just glad it isn't friend. I think that's the idea though. A coach with a proven track record would have been nice but who of that calibre will come here? Getting an assistant from international level that ticks most of the right boxes is probably as good as we will get.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

So is it too soon to open a sweep on when he gets kicked out?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

FODMcF
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:I'm not sure that I take much from the 'highly rated' comments after experiencing Les Kiss for 2 years. I'm just glad it isn't friend. I think that's the idea though. A coach with a proven track record would have been nice but who of that calibre will come here? Getting an assistant from international level that ticks most of the right boxes is probably as good as we will get.
Who rated Kiss highly though ? He was a busted flush in defence with Ireland had no real coaching experience to be anything but a defensive coach and he was behind the times even with that. I never rates him from the start
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:I'm not sure that I take much from the 'highly rated' comments after experiencing Les Kiss for 2 years. I'm just glad it isn't friend. I think that's the idea though. A coach with a proven track record would have been nice but who of that calibre will come here? Getting an assistant from international level that ticks most of the right boxes is probably as good as we will get.
Who rated Kiss highly though ? He was a busted flush in defence with Ireland had no real coaching experience to be anything but a defensive coach and he was behind the times even with that. I never rates him from the start
The players. Even 1F.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
The players. Even 1F.
They were living on the memory from a year before, once Ireland went to the RWC he was done
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Just another D4 puppet
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
The players. Even 1F.
They were living on the memory from a year before, once Ireland went to the RWC he was done
Which is why I'm now always dubious about the highly rated tag.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

222toHounslow wrote:Just another D4 puppet

Is he of the calibre of the present incumbent? He certainly doesn't seem to have the same amount of experience. I hope he does well, and i wish him good luck but i'm underwhelmed by the appointment. His lack of head coach experience is a worry for our team. I'd have had mcglocks back in a heart beat.

Will we be getting a DOR? They better be top drawer, we need experience in our club.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
The players. Even 1F.
Ah but Scotland forwards are going pretty well and Townsend didn't bring him along to make the tea
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:Who rated Kiss highly though ? He was a busted flush in defence with Ireland had no real coaching experience to be anything but a defensive coach and he was behind the times even with that. I never rates him from the start
The players. Even 1F.
Ah but Scotland forwards are going pretty well and Townsend didn't bring him along to make the tea
We have Ethel for that.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Well, now... if I remember right, Leinster took a man who was assistant coach on a few years back as their new head coach - and he'd no head coach experience at the time.

Came from some bunch in France called Clermont... turned out quite decent by all accounts.