The State of the Nation (Ulster)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

The State of the Nation (Ulster)

Post by BaggyTrousers »

So much to say, where to start? It has been as bad a season as I can remember but for so many reasons, many completely unseen before this season.

Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start ............

No Ruan Pienaar, a loyal player who had no loyalty returned to him by the FIRFU & gobshite Australia David Nucifora in particular, all the more galling when you see Isa Nacewa continuing to block clearly talented players at Leinster, more on a similar vein to come.

First up, the Cheetahs from South Africa, the game started with Marcell Coetzee playing like Superman, destroying everything in his way, ably supported by Jean Deysel who followed in Marcell's wake demolishing the survivors, making his own yards. Well, we got about 30 minutes of it then bye bye Marcell for the season.

From there it has been mainly downhill. Already the shadow of missing players Jackson & Olding was a huge concern, not made easier by the signing of a world-class centre Christian Leali'ifano to play outhalf. He turned out to be what you would expect, not quite there as a top class 10 but a player full of sweet ability and a brave man as he showed in spades when being assaulted by Munster. Tough as old boots. Great player but in fairness, not close as a 10 to Paddy Jackson.

With Marcell Coetzee confirmed out for the season, my understanding is that Ulster knew the risks and no injury replacement was allowed. Contrast this with Munster for example over the last to years, when they have had a problem they have been able to go and recruit players, not Ulster.

(for a little good news, I understand that Ulster's go to ACL medical expert has said he thinks Marcell's repair is very stable and he is apparently running freely.)

So after early soft fixtures, with no Ruan, Marcell Paddy or Wee Stu, the season went sharply downhill. Defeated by Zebre, Kiss the defensive genius was going at Ulster record pace to a new all-time worst, having set the mark under his own rule last season. Poor teams finding the Ulster defence no issue, the first clear sight of disaster away to Stade Rochelais, ripped apart.

There followed one of the most dispiriting losses I can ever recall suffering, a 10-25 utter kicking from a Leinster team who never bothered getting out of 2nd gear. There followed the bizarre win in the Townships when we attempted to gift the game to the mighty Kings who got their first two points of the season, the performance an utter shambles.

Then we snatched a richly undeserved last-minute win at home to Treviso and then blew a comfortable win at Dragons, having collapsed but again a late try salvaged a draw. What was becoming clear was that if our rugby was shyte, there was still heart on the players and talk of Lions lead by Donkeys started to emerge.

Kiss was becoming a man under immense pressure at this stage, a man who like our CEO, had very little history to suggest the leap from defence coach to DOR would work. Back to back wins over Hairyquims in the SDC hinted a slight recovery, then the shyte was really about to hit the fan, three successive derbies starting in Galway.

A record defeat and an utter humiliation, at the hands of a team who were having their own troubles, finding wins very hard to come by, but a 44-16 did not flatter Connacht one bit, the only bright point a brief cameo for young McPhillips who hinted he might have a part to play when Leali'ifano departed in mid January.

There followed a shocking first half with the pack and in particular Diddies & Rodders being taken apart & the lineout an utter shambles, then late in the third quarter Darren Cave started the comeback with a peach of his own then a lovely kick through for Gilroy to score and remarkably, with Sam Arnold rightly red carded for a disgusting assault of Leali'ifano, Rob Lyttle secured 5 points with a late try.

Business "as usual" resumed away to Mexico with a 38-7 disaster in which the superb Stockcube had a nightmare as did his partner in crime, Piutau, air tackles the main feature. There followed a beating up by Wasps to crash out of the SDC and then that was it for Kiss, gone but the damage he did and the appalling man management of Darren Cave & GLU, Andrew Trimble, particularly inexplicable. This followed his inexplicable act of almost literally throwing Aaron Cairns under the bus as it got ready for the trip to South Africa, a humiliating experience that must have been.

So, gone but not forgotten, the first big change. Step forward Jono Gibbes, a man we had such expectation in ......... but wait ........whispers emerged that he had no interest in becoming the boss, a man happy to coach but no interest in the bullshit that goes with the DOR job. Not much later it was to emerge that he not only didn't want the job but he was leaving in the summer.

All the while the Belast Rape Trial was it has become known got underway and from early days it appeared the prosecution had hoped their best hope of a conviction was to blacken the character of men who turned out to be falsely accused. How utterly bizarre that the supposed key witness for the prosecution turned out to give the deciding testimony in favour of the defence.

As everyone predicted, there would be nobody coming out of this case undamaged. The young gentlemen stained by their supposed private bullshit on WhatsApp, the young lady shown to be an unreliable witness and indeed a liar for her second foray into the business of crying rape. Further casualties were the news media whose coverage was to be characterised as "Clickbait", social media through the mountains of hate delivered from all sides and factions in the arguments and I have to say the Twatter reporting from "so-called" journalists drove a coach and horses through our legal system.

One particular star in all this was the BBC's Mark Simpson who managed to draw the ire of just about everyone who saw his reports, irrespective of who they were supporting, and supporting is the right word, this became like an unsporting contest, much of the proceedings largely irrelevant for with everyone in Ireland being granted Barrister status, experts in their own lunchtime offered irrefutable facts dredged from their complete lack of facts.

Meanwhile, that was tucked away for another day FIRFU/UR promising an in-depth enquiry & review.

At Ravenhill, Edinburgh was gifted a win late in the game. With the lead changing a few times Ulster appeared to have closed the game out leading 16-14 with the 80 minute up on the clock, Ulster were in the Embra half but conceded a penalty. Wee fat Duncan Weir kicked badly, missing touch but the legend that is Tommy Bowe dropped the ball, bounced infield and as rugby balls do, made a back to front of Tommy kicking back toward touch and giving Embra a final attacking chance.

Those who expected any other finish have never heard the expression "never give a sucker an even break" as, with the clock red, Embra worked a position in front of the posts for Wee Fat Weir to win the game with a DG. An absolute calumny, a game thrown away and something Ulster would regret at their leisure.

At this time Stockcube was away breaking records for Ireland and establishing himself as a star performer. It has been noticeable since then that his very presence causes panic in defences who tend to stand off him, it's quite bizarre, he is to Ulster what Will Griggs supposedly is but isn't, a cause of real chaos and self-doubt in defenders. Well done young man a great season.

So over to Scarlets and from 10-10 after 54 minutes, Ulster subsided to a TBP win for Scarlets. Not what was required after the late collapse to Embra. Next to Cardiff but that game was effectively lost after 12 minutes with Cardiff 14-0 ahead and they scored the TBP right at the death. At this point, it looked for all money that not only were the playoffs out of sight but the last place in the SDC qualifying was in real danger as Treviso closed the gap.#

In all this time, there was barely a word emanating from the CEO of Ulster, Terry Slogan, so-called as a part-time soldier who would have you believe he alone secured the Falkland Islands for Her Brittanic Majesty Betty and having served in and commanded upwards of 5 elite regiments, a trained killer par excellence. In addition to his military chops, he had lied through his teeth on his CV to secure the Ulster job, about the only claim he didn't make was that his real name is Clark Kent. That apart his level of operation in several past jobs was inflated above their real station. Add to that his infamous bullshit about World Domination and there you have it Terry the weekend warrior, Slogan his WD mantra, happily being a match for Slogan S Logan.

Time & again, where le bon mot should have come from him, it came from others, be that coaches, Ops Manager Bryn or Marketing guru Fiona. His impersonation of the Invisible Man was flawless as no supporters meeting saw his smug face, yet he claimed to be meeting "thousands of people" as part of his job.

Amongst CEO's there is a general sense that you publicly lead your organisation, demonstrate that you are in charge and have the integrity to front up when things are demonstrably going pear-shaped. Not Terry Slogan, he was yet to make his statement that would see him attract unprecedented loathing within the organised supporters clubs and forums.

After the Cardiff disappointed, during the next week the Jackosn & Olding trial, featuring Blane feckin' McIlroy and thon big lad were unanimously and unequivocally cleared of all charges. This, of course, was entirely expected as the Prosecutions star witness & the only eyewitness had testified. You had to ask yourself, if this was what the prosecution relied upon, then how in God's name did this ever come to court? My understanding is that local the prosecution service did not recommend the evidence as strong enough to take to trial, that a second look was also a negative response but finally Tony Knobjob thought, feck it, I'll do it. I seriously hope he has damaged his reputation, this was a farce based on lies and should never have been allowed to do the damage it has. More later.

So back on the pitch as people were beginning to doubt that Ulster might win another game, suddenly the team found something, the missing confidence, the desire that had appeared patchy at times and most importantly, their will to win and not slump quietly into the Parker Pen.

An excellent TBP win secured by our beast from the east Hendy at the death, gave some hope, then a comprehensive win though a mere 8-0 in which they dominated the ball but a mix of inaccurate finishing and excellent Ospreys defence held sway.

Back with Messrs Jackson and Olding, there was an announcement that there would be a swift review by the FIRFU & UR. I can tell you that no such review was done, at least not in any transparent sense, there was no review, no interview with the players and their representatives. They were told to appear in Dublin and met with a fait accompli, all done and dusted no input from them required, no opportunity to even speak, simply this is what is happening, this is you offer to go quietly, take us to court and we will crush you like a bug, we have loadsa money and you are without a pot to pish in having spent a fortune to defend yourself.

If you thought that it was just Paddy & Stu who have had their lives ruined, well you would be wrong both families have suffered emotionally & financially and both are still being pursued by the press, still receiving threats from social media trolls to ruin their lives to the greatest extent possible, some having tried to warn off all future employers, some vile creatures have made libellous accusations about the eye-witness and suggest the families bought and paid for her evidence. This has been a sickening realisation that on the back of lurid press coverage an army of avenging trolls has taken up their cudgels.

Amidst it all, stands the FIRFU and smug liar Terry Slogan, who finally crawled out from under his rock to relish giving BBC lightweight Mark Simpson the news that he has been waiting for months to deliver, "we unanimously decided to cancel their contracts" & of course, "we don't envisage them playing for Ireland or Ulster in the future". I can also tell you unequivocally that this loathsome liar, this man apparently devoid of Christain forgiveness nor tolerance of those without his personal beliefs, told the Ulster squad that "we do not want these sort of people at Ulster" and that the squad should prepare for life without them. That little tidbit was given before the verdict was even announced.

Of course, Terry Slogan lied when he said they voted unanimously to cancel their contracts, because whilst there may have been an internal decision made to succumb to Bank of Ireland & Vodaphone pressure, there was no decision made after a review with the players, all was decided without any personal hearing. I have personal knowledge from two different sources that both families have confirmed they were told that it was a case of the huge Bank of Ireland sponsorship or them - no contest. The fact is that there was no meaningful review, no chance to offer any defence, no tolerance, no admission that their not guilty verdict meant anything.

And so dear friends, that brought us up to yesterday when a third successive performance of substance against the team with the best record in the league, put to bed the horror of finishing below Treviso. It may even end the need for a playoff should Leinster or Cardiff win either the SDC or Parker Pen. Should a playoff be required it will be between Ulster and Ospreys, Ulster will have home advantage in a one-off game. The slight chance that Ulster may yet pip Embra remains but is so minuscule that it's not worth sharing the permutations.

And here we stand, at the end of a long unhappy season, supporters and club miles apart but as shown yesterday, there are enough who really don't get into minutiae, those for whom it's just a day out rather than a lifelong passion, those who love being the outdoor Belfast Giants. Yesterday, having written on my Ulster Shirt and demonstrated in my own small ineffective way, said goodbye to a lot of friends I left my shirt at the ticket office, I have no more use for it. In two weeks I shall have left the country and I've never felt less like making plans to incorporate a trip to Ravenhill in my plans when doubtless I return occasionally. I'd be more likely to take in a game at Malone or in Armagh with some very good mates.

A guy waiting for a taxi, who saw what I had done actually applauded me when I walked out, I said to him "that is me finished here" and walked on feeling anything but happy. I feel that one of the things that I have held dear for a lifetime has been ripped out of me, I'd hoped to emigrate looking forward to return trips, instead, I just feel it's not for me anymore. It's a bitter taste.

I believe the FIRFU had other options, a commitment to rehabilitation and suitable programmes for young players, a suspension for the embers of the season, a longer Irish suspension of maybe a year or two. That would have been proportionate but the Blazers in D4 wanted to take no risks, just cave in like yes men to the sponsor, not a hint of interest in the two young players.

I really urge people not to support the FIRFU but to hold faith that guys like Rory Best and others with dignity & self-respect will make some people pay a price in the long game and I urge everyone who has always supported Ulster teams, to be wary of Ulster Rugby, but never turn your backs on the Ulster team, they, as are the wider Olding & Jackson families, as well as the two lads, victims of this sorry mess.

I think it's impossible to find any description of the levels of disrespect and loathing I feel for Shane Logan, a hypocrite and well-established liar, out Terry Slogan. This man who likes to portray himself as a Christian is just a loathsome scumbag with a serious lack of backbone.

Some season eh?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Re: The State of the Nation (Ulster)

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

If the media hacks that lurk on this board had any self respect, they'd be cutting and pasting this into their next report.
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Ulster Rugby, as an employer, has a duty of care to their employees. Their behaviour has been despicable. I hope Jackson's da keeps coming and gets to look Logan right in the eye, when he's not hiding away from his usual spot or sloping off across the grass at the end. I take it it's not illegal for him to enter the playing surface? lol

To listen to Logan you'd think he single handedly founded Ulster, that club which dominated for decades but found it hard adapting to a professional structure. Has that even changed yet?

A new stadium fell into his lap. Otherwise what? A food court, covered bars and a merchandise shop. Wow. Something that fans had been wanting for years and most other clubs already had. Revolutionary. Otherwise selling off every little thing from chicken and chocolate milk sponsors to people he meets at business breakfasts and CVM meetings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Spot on Baggy >appl >appl >appl
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:So much to say, where to start? ........

Some season eh?
Couldn't condense that to a few lines, by any chance baggy? >EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Wow Baggy .Excellent and painfully truthful .
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Great read Baggy.... Cheers!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Top post Baggy. It's deplorable that Logan told the squad the two players were unlikely to return before the verdict. I wonder would a wee FOI enquiry reveal who in UR wanted them to stay and who wanted them to go.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Rem99
Initiate

Post by Rem99 »

https://twitter.com/davidhunter7/status ... 2119560193

Though shalt not wave "Logan Out" banners!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Rem99 wrote:https://twitter.com/davidhunter7/status ... 2119560193

Though shalt not wave "Logan Out" banners!
Look at the space all around them, hardly packed. Terrace half full at best.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

shamalicious wrote:Top post Baggy. It's deplorable that Logan told the squad the two players were unlikely to return before the verdict. I wonder would a wee FOI enquiry reveal who in UR wanted them to stay and who wanted them to go.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
No FOI request required Shammy.
Everyone at UR wanted them back 100%.
Nb Obviously I don't include D4 quislings under that "everyone" umbrella.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The thing that has baffled me for months is the constant mention that we wouldn't sign a full time 10 as PJ was expected back after the trial, that continuously was fed right through to players as well who were convinced right up to the end they would be returning and by the end I don't mean when it "leaked" out last Friday but to the morning of their execution on Wednesday, note I didn't say hearing as there never was one.
There has been nothing but a web of lies told since starting with Logans sermon to the press, why he is not even telling the truth at present about where they are in picking a new coach.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ChrisL
Novice

Post by ChrisL »

Spot on Baggy. Thank you very much for writing this!
If you are up for delivering it to Ravenhill I would most
certainly accompany you . Anyone else in ?
Maybe 100 of us could get Logan's attention?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ChrisL wrote:Spot on Baggy. Thank you very much for writing this!
If you are up for delivering it to Ravenhill I would most
certainly accompany you . Anyone else in ?
Maybe 100 of us could get Logan's attention?
Thanks, ChrisL but I very much doubt that even your close neighbour, ChrisT would deflect Terry from his self-serving bullshit.

Anyway, he and his minions apparently read this forum, as do at least some of the press and I understand some of the players so I doubt the hard copy is required or would hold any sway. Indeed after Saturday when in excess of 16000 turned up >EW I doubt that he's feeling terribly threatened and would more than likely bestow that smug look and bid us farewell. Who knows, as a fascist, as he displayed on Saturday having ordered Eventsec to quell any hint of protest, he may have us beaten to a ruddy pulp.

Terry proclaims himself a Christian, I suspect he is very much one of the faithful for show rather than conviction, certainly his spite and relish at announcing the destruction of young lives and his tissue of lies regarding their dismissal hardly reflects what I understand Christians to represent. He's not alone in that of course, hence I occasionally do a disservice to the decent ones in my opprobrium of the vile ones such as Terry.

Maybe some decent Christian could confirm my suspicion that the lad Jesus frowned upon followers making overt holier than thou acts and espoused quiet reflection and faith. Could be wrong, I regard the whole shemozzle as a huge con and more full of holes than the FIRFU/UR bullshit about the review that never took place. :roll:

Anyway brother, thanks for the offer, but I've too much to do in the next two weeks to make good my escape from this Septic Isle, where toxic masculinity and weak as Harp Lager rugby administrators make my life intolerable .............. not to mention those harridans spouting illegal lies on social media, harassing the innocent, and I'm not just talking about the players.

Espana, take me to your bountiful bosom, I hear you calling.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:So much to say, where to start? ........

Some season eh?
Couldn't condense that to a few lines, by any chance baggy? >EW
No Grumps, I couldn't, it's complicated, you wouldn't understand. :lol: :lol: :lol: