The State of English Rugby

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: The State of English Rugby

Post by Deraless »

I would encourage them to preserve the status quo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
stirlingwing
Novice

Post by stirlingwing »

more high-fiving urgently needed. Was Itoje even on the pitch on Saturday?
i love it when rugby's a winner
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

stirlingwing wrote:more high-fiving urgently needed. Was Itoje even on the pitch on Saturday?
They didn't win enough scrum pens to properly show off his high-fiving skills. And the one I remember they showed the overhead cam of Vunipola at 90 degrees as that spoon Dallaglio says "Ireland clearly boring in there".

Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
stirlingwing
Novice

Post by stirlingwing »

sure dally doesn't know if his Brennan is punched or bored.
i love it when rugby's a winner
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

stirlingwing wrote:more high-fiving urgently needed. Was Itoje even on the pitch on Saturday?
He's too tired from high fiving to high five any more
Only lawes has more high 5s this season

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Basically to smug for their own good .

Too many teams of similar quality and the funding is so reliant on TV and private investors that the player base is distorted .

Internationally their mid field 5 back row are slow in pace and thinking because the English game is based on bulk not brains . Big pack to suck the defence in field and then get the ball to the wing to score in the corner .

The two try’s scored by England on Saturday are typical of their game - well executed but predictable .

Ireland have as option at centre Henshaw , Aki, Farrell , Ringrose , McCloskey , Marshall , Arnold , Scannell , - Olding and while the English press get’ hot and wet ‘ over Farrell to be honest, any of those listed are as good and some better than him .

Farrell’s rating is based on his place kicking not his contribution as a centre and his contribution as a centre is based on his ability to kick the ball into space for his wingers .

The English game at Club and International level is based on a bulky front row and Second row fast wings and ball retention when facing teams who play a XV man game they are slow to the breakdown and lack the time to reset the defence if the opposition get the ball wide .

Their International team pays the price of Clubs putting money before players .

The first three in 6 nations belong to Pro 12/14 simply because a lack of both playing resources and Finance means the teams rely on their Unions and the Revenue from the Internationals helps to finance the teams .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Deraless wrote:
They didn't win enough scrum pens to properly show off his high-fiving skills. And the one I remember they showed the overhead cam of Vunipola at 90 degrees as that spoon Dallaglio says "Ireland clearly boring in there".

Dayglo is the most obviously stupid pundit in the known universe, quite an achievement when you see the morons on BT Sport.

Briefly, I was apoplectic with rage that the commentary suggested England driving straight when the entire rugby watching population of planet Earth understands that not one of their current props drives straight never mind a hooker who can only drive up or pop up. Then I heard Dayglo and calmed immediately, not you understand that I cared a jot about the bogtrotters, I just hate England getting undeserved penalties. Mind you I thought Angus Gardner was as far from a homer as you will get.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dayglo said the call was correct just as they showed the overhead clip. Then he went quiet. He probably pretended to drop his pen.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Dayglo said the call was correct just as they showed the overhead clip. Then he went quiet. He probably pretended to drop his pen.
That was actually very funny, was almost as if the sound had broken down :lol: :lol: :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:Dayglo said the call was correct just as they showed the overhead clip. Then he went quiet. He probably pretended to drop his pen.
The classic BT Sport commentary

Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Problems with English rugby go back to 1995 when professionalism kicked in.
It made no real differences to the SH as they already were all but professional by name but England and France didn't centrally contract their players and the club's hoovered the players up.
The club's have the power and the only interest of the owners were getting their penny's worth out of the player with no interest in the national game.
If England had split into regions which they did have and we did, it may have helped.

The problems also run deeper than that.
English coaching systems go from the top to the bottom with currently Eddie Jones being appointed as God or Buddha.
His disciples are several thousand coaches encouraging the same styles and the same systems from top to bottom which is all about generally size and bosh.
Irelands is more a reverse of that particularly Leinster where it's built from grass roots up and skills and ingenuity are encouraged.

If England and France ever got it right on numbers alone we couldn't compete.
But with the amount of players at their disposal and they still feel they have to import players from elsewhere you know there's huge problems there.
And there's no quick fixes.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Decent summation, Lovely. It has always been that way. No way of pulling together the best from a huge playing population, amusingly they operate the same policy of players not being selected if not in the boshiership as Ireland do. Which is funny because clearly they know they have things wrong, it’s just that there is nothing much they can do about it.

Most amusing. That nice Mr Lancaster must be wearing a smirk.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Good post, baz.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

France was professional before professionalism too.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:France was professional before professionalism too.
Mindfeck