Oh look, the truth about Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Oh look, the truth about Ulster

Post by breakdown »

kingofthehill wrote:Was chatting to someone today with a bit of inside information and he informed me that
1. Schmidt couldn’t wait to get rid of Kiss from Ireland.
2.Doak wasn’t allowed to address the team when Kiss was in charge.
3.Gibbes realised within the first 2months of the season he had made a huge mistake and was looking for a way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On your first point, I said as much a while back

Wasnt the most popular figure by any means and Farrell is twice the coach IMO
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

http://ulsterrugby.com/news/17106.php#.Wp3OsCKnzv4

I take it there will be representation at the meeting from here? Fair play to Bryn looking to front up, and looking to keep the season ticket holders in the loop re future club strategy .....the cynic in me would say he had no choice with a double coaching departure and highly likely non CC qualification in season tkt sale time.

I look forward to seeing the extended highlights - hopefully this is a gesture of greater transparency but we’ll see.

Does anyone know what this 2 yr season tkts is about? Also why would UR need the money this coming season rather than next.....was this a insurance policy as they could see what was coming down the line?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

"Daddy, why do the Ulster players just keep hoofing the ball up the pitch?"

"Dunno son. It's called Doakball but it'll all be grand when Les gets here."

"Ah nice one dad. I'm really looking forward to the Ireland Argentina World Cup game tomorrow. We will have those Argies on toast."

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dharper wrote:http://ulsterrugby.com/news/17106.php#.Wp3OsCKnzv4

I take it there will be representation at the meeting from here? Fair play to Bryn looking to front up, and looking to keep the season ticket holders in the loop re future club strategy .....the cynic in me would say he had no choice with a double coaching departure and highly likely non CC qualification in season tkt sale time.

I look forward to seeing the extended highlights - hopefully this is a gesture of greater transparency but we’ll see.

Does anyone know what this 2 yr season tkts is about? Also why would UR need the money this coming season rather than next.....was this a insurance policy as they could see what was coming down the line?
Normally people do this as they are short of cash flow
Just thinking aloud but assume UR with the reduced gate size this season under the tyranny of Kiss and Logan has led to a poorer than normal cash flow

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

breakdown wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Was chatting to someone today with a bit of inside information and he informed me that
3.Gibbes realised within the first 2months of the season he had made a huge mistake and was looking for a way out.

I said this 9 months ago. It was always a sideways move. Les was never prepared change his defensive philosophy even when it was getting ripped to shreds week in/week out. I'm sure Joe was well aware of this. All D4 had to do was convince the branch that LK was a top DoR despite having zero experience. Gullible Logie et al bought it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Russ wrote:

Just thinking aloud but assume UR with the reduced gate size this season under the tyranny of Kiss and Logan has led to a poorer than normal cash flow

Bit of a risky strategy is it not young Russ, bit like getting to weeks wages this Friday, and deciding to hit Ollies on Saturday night rather than go straight home after Dublin, buy some bubbles for some bimbo with plastic tîts in the hope of a poke, comes Tuesday you need a new carburettor for the Capri, but you spent it on Saturday hoping for a good time and have to take public transport the next few days.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Dave wrote:
breakdown wrote:

I said this 9 months ago. It was always a sideways move. Les was never prepared change his defensive philosophy even when it was getting ripped to shreds week in/week out. I'm sure Joe was well aware of this. All D4 had to do was convince the branch that LK was a top DoR despite having zero experience. Gullible Logie et al bought it.
Literally shafted by D4 as an easy way of getting rid of Kiss from Ireland setup. Tr@mps.

Logan out out out.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Agreed Hammer. We got LK and Leinster were given Graham Henry and Stuart Lancaster. There is plenty of blame for the FIRFU in all this.
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Dave wrote:Agreed Hammer. We got LK and Leinster were given Graham Henry and Stuart Lancaster. There is plenty of blame for the FIRFU in all this.
Think that said coaches would have a say in where they went as well. If you were Lancaster and was offered Leinster with the riches they have coming through and us...... who would you choose?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dan Dare wrote:
Dave wrote:Agreed Hammer. We got LK and Leinster were given Graham Henry and Stuart Lancaster. There is plenty of blame for the FIRFU in all this.
Think that said coaches would have a say in where they went as well. If you were Lancaster and was offered Leinster with the riches they have coming through and us...... who would you choose?
Of course and I'm not saying that those specific coaches should have come here but we should have had help to source someone better than Les. I read an article that basically said the IRFU were concerned that Doak and Cullen lacked experience. Two very different solutions were used. One clearly wasn't a solution at all but a way of dealing with a problem that Joe and the IRFU had.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

I heard last week from someone fairly close to the players that Gibbes wanted out from half way through the season and that was common knowledge internally. He probably therefore had to accept being coach when Kiss left as there was no alternative.

Does this mean that Doak was the person most shafted by the Kiss regime given how our back play has been absolute turd this season?
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Would Doak return...... :duck:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
jean valjean wrote:https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 66360.html

Fanning jumping in. At least he throws some flack toward the firfu.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
That's a change for Fanning though I understand he has his fans here. :roll:
Having now read it, it appears he has more or less copied what I wrote here a few weeks ago. Really guys, many appear to be in thrall of these people, they get much of their information in unsurprising places. :duh:

So Waikato then for Jono, not the non-existent vacancy with Cheika.
BaggyTrousers wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:It’s about time the bel tel and other papers grew a set of balls.

To be fair,Bryn has to face the questions because there is no one left to do it and that includes Ligue.

Don’t feel Bryn warrants anymore time based on his signings.

Reconnect with the clubs.

KOTH, I know a man who knows who ID'd the horrific signings. Unless you can categorically tell me differently, until Kiss's exit, it was he and coaches who told Bryn who they wanted and Bryn negotiated. That has now changed as far as I am aware.

That apart, spot on. :D
kingofthehill wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:It’s about time the bel tel and other papers grew a set of balls.

To be fair,Bryn has to face the questions because there is no one left to do it and that includes Ligue.

Don’t feel Bryn warrants anymore time based on his signings.

Reconnect with the clubs.

KOTH, I know a man who knows who ID'd the horrific signings. Unless you can categorically tell me differently, until Kiss's exit, it was he and coaches who told Bryn who they wanted and Bryn negotiated. That has now changed as far as I am aware.

That apart, spot on. :D
Bryn can not go blameless in this all, I would imagine they all sit down as a team and discuss the best possible options for players.

Agree there was some things in the article that were wrong Baggy (academy and pedrie) but how could you not like the summary of Ferris — On the money.

‘His December interview with Jonny Waterson of the Irish Times was tough going. Scanning through it, the faint hope that Ferris was going to say anything even momentarily insightful receded until The Mole got to the tags below the line and confirmed that it had just been one long bout of grousing, transcribed almost verbatim. Jaysis indeed. I heard and saw a few comments later in the day that lauded him for his “honesty”, which is normally how a certain tranche of sports fans react whenever a former player cribbs and moans in public. But Ferris wasn’t being honest about his own faults: he was bleating about what he saw as other people’s faults.’

Bart S wrote:Ferris is a pundit, nothing more than that. I see some peope (albeit not many on here) think he should be given a role at UR because he is a no nonsense man who will sort them out, i thnk he knows himself he doesn’t have answers and indeed doesn’t seem to have any suggestions about the structure or people we should be going for. Ulster has already got enough ex players in its structure and no doubt we’ll see the likes of Henry and Trimble on the payroll somewhere soon. I would rather if these guys had anything to offer from a coaching capacity they plyed their trade elsewhere first and learnt something about pro rugby outside of ulster, so they could actually add something more than being an ex player.

In fairness to Ferris he has praised ulster when things have gone well this season so i wouldn’t say he is trying to stir up controversy for the sake of it, but equally i would not want to see him with an official role at UR and i don’t think he would take one anyway. Media is more lucrative for him now and he knows being associated with UR could tarnish his reputation and future earning power.
Deraless wrote:"Daddy, why do the Ulster players just keep hoofing the ball up the pitch?"

"Dunno son. It's called Doakball but it'll all be grand when Les gets here."

"Ah nice one dad. I'm really looking forward to the Ireland Argentina World Cup game tomorrow. We will have those Argies on toast."

Kofi Annan wrote:
Russ wrote:

Bit of a risky strategy is it not young Russ, bit like getting to weeks wages this Friday, and deciding to hit Ollies on Saturday night rather than go straight home after Dublin, buy some bubbles for some bimbo with plastic tîts in the hope of a poke, comes Tuesday you need a new carburettor for the Capri, but you spent it on Saturday hoping for a good time and have to take public transport the next few days.
Very dangerous strategy on the 2 year tickets unless they ringfence next season's portion and do not spend it this season
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I always feel a bit sorry for Doak ... by all accounts he was brilliant at what he was good at ... Head Coach was NOT for him, bridge waaaay too far, but one to one he was an excellent skills coach ... he was ham strung with a total ding bat muppet in Clarke, a megalomaniac as DOR and Alexander the Great at the top conquering the world ... and all controlled by Jim Henson's gin soaked puppeteers in blazers from behind the scenes each one secretly hoping to score points over the rest because the pinnacle of their tenure as UR Branch committee was that their old alma mater won the School's Cup.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

promsandwich wrote:

I heard last week from someone fairly close to the players that Gibbes wanted out from half way through the season and that was common knowledge internally. He probably therefore had to accept being coach when Kiss left as there was no alternative.

Does this mean that Doak was the person most shafted by the Kiss regime given how our back play has been absolute turd this season?

In a word yes.

Doak is a creative backs coach. Not a head coach.

The King is dead. Long live the King.