Mark McCall anybody?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Mark McCall anybody?

Post by ColinM »

Don't care if Ferris is regurgitating the type of stuff we read and post on here, if he is only doing that then he is highlighting what we here believe to the wider Ulster rugby public and that is a good thing.

So in essence if we want him to change the record we need to change what we post here...

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Not only that, but he was a good part of the "noise", I happen to believe that without the noise FOLK would have seen out the season and the shambles wouldn't have come to a head as soon.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: In what way is he part of the problem?
He was unsubtle to the point of brutality as a player and little has changed, he calls a spade a spade.
Ferris never gave less than 100% as a player and never took a backward step. He asks for aggression and commitment from players, something he delivered in spades, but has been sadly lacking for Ulster. Granted Ulster's issues run deeper than a lack of aggression and he could change the record to highlight some of the other problems, but he's not actually wrong.
For me Snipe he's part of the problem in that he's a broken record, stating the bloody obvious, regurgitating public opinion, thoughts are not his own. I expect more from a pundit. For a man that is supposedly close to the setup he may just be able to offer a few intelligent solutions on how to fix the problems.... for me he hasn't.

We need a Stephen Nolan Show "Ulster Rugby Special" :lol:
Ferris is banging the same drum, because the drum need to be banged as we are a soft team. BBC NI will not be inviting us on to discuss our woes so 1F is the only vent we have with the mineral to stand and let us hear truth spoken to power. In fairness, the podcast lads have done a bit of that too, albeit they shied away from Baggy's question. Ferris and Paddy Wallace publicly called Logan out and for me that's a :salut: moment.
Paddy is another guy who didn't back down by the way. I'd say Dave Irwin has put more stitches in Paddy's bonce than any other player in recent years.
Ferris and Wallace have earned the right to speak their minds, they literally put their bodies on the line week in week out.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Brian McLaughlin for me, I might be wrong but when Ulster comes calling he would take it on.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

So are people happy with the academy now, or is KC for the review chop too. McCall is a DOR and doesn’t coach by all accounts, so who’d work with him McLaughlin? Last thing we need is a new clash of egos. Can UR afford a whole new set up with compo payments to people let go?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

The money saved from Bowe, Piutau, Heron and the Daves needs to be spent on a solid coaching structure with clearly defined roles.

First job is a new CEO which needs sorted before the end of the season in order to get the rest of pieces into place.

DOR - I am happy with it being in the role of Bryn so doesn't have the all controlling power Humphreys did. In charge of player & coaches contracts, professional rugby side of things. Not a coach.

Head Coach - exactly what it says and brings in their own team.

Head Coach Academy - exactly what it says again with their own team and scouts.

Greater connection between schools and clubs. I've heard rumours in the past of players only allowed to be associated with one or the other. Makes little sense to me. Schools should feed into the club's that then feed into the professional academy setup. Again, proper roles, clearly defined, everyone knows their place.

I know very little about any of this, but I live in hope that we won't end up with more layers of middle-management insulating those at the top.

If we get a McCall or O'Shea in then they should be at the expense of Bryn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

McLaughlin, if he wanted the job would be my pick.

He laid the foundations of the 2011-2015 era, is passionate about the province and has proven himself previously after leading the squad out of the last crises period. A guy like him, will get the supporters on track and will help develop the host of underage talent showing promise in the academy.

I can't see anyone else who is a proven winner wanting this job, Ulster will have at least next season in the doldrums until a few more of the youngsters like mcBurney, Hume, Otoole, Daltan, Hall etc are ready for pro rugby.

Ulster actually have a good bit of talent in the academy, (the best this decade), they just need to be given a chance in a well oiled machine, instead of an inexperience team under immense pressure
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

& he also appears to realise just how important a successful academy is to Ulster. An academy not producing 3 or 4 quality 1st team players isn't going to cut it, it will lead to exactly the mess we are in. A struggling squad lacking in homegrown players and leadership.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Look ............I'll be astonished if we get someone, be that as a Head Coach or DOR who will get yis excited.

Who is realistically available and desperate enough to want to take on a shambles? Not many, Jim Mallender will be looking for a job, Comical Eddie always gets a mention. John Kirwan makes such a balls of jobs he's bound to be available. Graham Henry to travel halfway around the world at 101 to play the role of the grumpy grandad.

Here, Robbie Deans is in the Japanese 9 month offseason. :roll:

Phillip St Andrew anyone?

There is more chance of Agen-le-Tete getting the gig, albeit he has Ron'n's backing, than Small McCall even thinking about it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Look ............I'll be astonished if we get someone, be that as a Head Coach or DOR who will get yis excited.

Who is realistically available and desperate enough to want to take on a shambles? Not many, Jim Mallender will be looking for a job, Comical Eddie always gets a mention. John Kirwan makes such a balls of jobs he's bound to be available. Graham Henry to travel halfway around the world at 101 to play the role of the grumpy grandad.

Here, Robbie Deans is in the Japanese 9 month offseason. :roll:

Phillip St Andrew anyone?

There is more chance of Agen-le-Tete getting the gig, albeit he has Ron'n's backing, than Small McCall even thinking about it.
Keiran Crowley and Milton Haig are two names I'd throw into the hat.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

McLaughlin would seem to be the favourite local candidate. This isn't the time for taking a punt on someone lacking experience.

Re McLaughlin I take it he would say yes given his previous treatment, albeit by those now or soon about to depart? Also I was never that sure how much of "McLaughlin" was actually him and how much was Big Johann.

If there is a culture of mediocrity amongst the playing staff I don't think it would be a bad idea to bring in someone who commands a bit of respect either.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

A good candidate is going to want some answers around what is going at UR and the longer term plan before taking the job. UR doesn’t have the answers to that yet or is not in a position to share them i suspect (jacko, longer term plan and ceo spring to mind). Given where we are in the season then it may be that we have to wait until the following season before we can get the right person in place. I would rather that then rush someone in because they are available now and then things not work out and we are back to square one.

In such a scenario McLoughlin could be a good candidate to keep us afloat in the interim if he was oreoared to. Not sure he is the longer term solution though.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Whilst we can all throw names around, ulster needs to decide first and foremost on the structure and roles. Do we have a DOR and if so, what is his role? If we have a DOR and the role is more smiliar to Humps’ role than Kiss’s then the kind of candidate we should be looking for may be different.
UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

McGlocks will go nowhere near Ulster again after what they done to him. They pretty much put him on gardening leave when it came to identifying new talent. A lot has changed in his life since he last took the job and I’d say family is more of a priority to him these days and doesn’t need the hassle or scrutiny of coaching Ulster again.