Mark McCall anybody?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Mark McCall anybody?

Post by HammerTime »

Obviously he has little or no interest in Ulster Rugby after how he was treated but Surely he fancies the Ireland job after Schmidt and one would think the best way would be to get involved in Irish Rugby again? He's done all he can at Saracens maybe the time is right for him to move on. Time has passed concerning how his days ended here it's a completely different organisation with different faces (all be it an organisation who are at rock bottom). The time is right for both parties.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Mark McCall anybody?

Post by damianmcr »

Has he not said he wants to extend his Saracens contract?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

On my knees through broken glass.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Saracens or Ulster ooh that's a toughie?
Unless we blackmail him into it.
Anyone got a story on Mark McCall we could use for these purposes?
If not we could just make some up.
People will believe anything these days.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Mark McCall is an Ulsterman to his core and will always be an Ulsterman.

Ulster will always be home.
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Money talks - get rid of the soft Saffers and the rest of the dross and use some of the money saved to pay him enough that he can't say no!!!!!! - if you don't ask, you don't get :red:
Finished
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Snipe Watson wrote:Mark McCall is an Ulsterman to his core and will always be an Ulsterman.

Ulster will always be home.
That could be lyrics to a great chant Snipe.
To the tune of Polly put the kettle on;

Mark McCall is an Ulsterman,
An Ulsterman, an Ulsterman,
Mark McCall is an Ulsterman,
An Ulsterman to the core

And he'll always be an Ulsterman
An Ulsterman, An Ulsterman,
He'll always be an Ulsterman,
It will always be his home. Oi!
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

would take him in a heartbeat, and would give him carte blanche to boot anyone who even looks at him funny out the door regardless.

I do think his time at Sarries may be coming to an end generally, just in terms of player cycles and whatnot. Whether he'd come near us at present is an entirely different story.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Problem last time was bith his ineperience at dealing with issues and egos plus closeness to some of the players whom he had been playing with.

Anyway, i can’t see him coming.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

I’d rather have someone with no previous connections with the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I used to chat regularly to Mark whilst we were picking kids up at school in Bangor. Around the time Justin Harrison arrived. I have to say Mark struck me as a good guy, but above all, he didn't strike me as a lunatic.

Why in the name of the seven snotty orphans on Ringsend would a non-lunatic want this job? I fail to see what if offers for an experienced coach at a successful club. My best guess is we will have some guy with a lot to prove handed the poisoned chalice..... well, either that or Allen Clarke. That too is why I don't see Lancaster being interested, he seems happy and has a quality squad to work with even if they are Mexicans.

My ideal coach would be Cockerill, I think Ulster badly need a man with a bit of bite about him who might listen to others but makes his own decisions and doesn't hide behind collective responsibility. Does Jim Mallender have a bit of bite? Regardless, if we get a Lionel, I'd take Cockers, unlike most I've always had a sneaking regard for Cockers.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

nonplussed wrote:I’d rather have someone with no previous connections with the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree to some extent in that i would not want anyone who is still connected to players from their playing days. Hearing 1F going on about how good Tommy Bowe still is when the evidence over the past 2 seasons suggests otherwise is one of the reasons why.

If it was an ulsterman, I’d also ideally want it to be someone with experience outside of Ulster, who has kearnt things from the big wide rugby world outside of Belfast/Lisburn.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Bart S wrote:
I agree to some extent in that i would not want anyone who is still connected to players from their playing days. Hearing 1F going on about how good Tommy Bowe still is when the evidence over the past 2 seasons suggests otherwise is one of the reasons why.
1F is part of the problem. Sick to my back teeth listening to him.

It takes a bit more than blood and guts as you suggest Ferris, I wouldn't mind seeing your haul of medals collected playing for Ulster... oh wait.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Bart S wrote:

It takes a bit more than blood and guts as you suggest Ferris, I wouldn't mind seeing your haul of medals collected playing for Ulster... oh wait.
In what way is he part of the problem?
He was unsubtle to the point of brutality as a player and little has changed, he calls a spade a spade.
Ferris never gave less than 100% as a player and never took a backward step. He asks for aggression and commitment from players, something he delivered in spades, but has been sadly lacking for Ulster. Granted Ulster's issues run deeper than a lack of aggression and he could change the record to highlight some of the other problems, but he's not actually wrong.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Bart S wrote:

In what way is he part of the problem?
He was unsubtle to the point of brutality as a player and little has changed, he calls a spade a spade.
Ferris never gave less than 100% as a player and never took a backward step. He asks for aggression and commitment from players, something he delivered in spades, but has been sadly lacking for Ulster. Granted Ulster's issues run deeper than a lack of aggression and he could change the record to highlight some of the other problems, but he's not actually wrong.
For me Snipe he's part of the problem in that he's a broken record, stating the bloody obvious, regurgitating public opinion, thoughts are not his own. I expect more from a pundit. For a man that is supposedly close to the setup he may just be able to offer a few intelligent solutions on how to fix the problems.... for me he hasn't.

We need a Stephen Nolan Show "Ulster Rugby Special" :lol:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18