We just lost to Edinburgh

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: We just lost to Edinburgh

Post by Rooster »

Big-al wrote:Just looked at Edinburghs fixtures.

5 of their remaining 7 fixtures are at home!
Yes fixtures were very poorly spread out this season so instead of the sort of home away rotation you get batches of home and batches of away just like we now have just 2 more at home.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We needed to win on Friday night and we didn't.
I don't see any route to us finishing better than fourth place in our group which is an absolute disaster of a season even allowing for all the injuries and extraneous goings on.
We have 7 top class players on the books three of them have not been available all season, two rarely available and two who along with Cooney and a temporary replacement have kept us afloat. That said, we should have been a cert for third place, but no, we're going to finish 4th of 7 which in real terms and if we're brutally honest, we will actually be 4th of 3.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

jean valjean wrote:
Dharper wrote:http://www.the42.ie/hannah-bowe-esporti ... 0-Feb2018/

Please please please take this down before somebody with no brain and the purse strings at Ur reads it and decides to put a call in.
Wonder why the no.15 is the highest paid position in the pro 14? Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dharper... You think they haven't their fingers in the pie already. Is Constable still with Esportif?

I mentioned these same wage comparisons a while back because there are one or two very notable difference but I don't get 15 being the highest paid because Esportif showed the 15 as the 4th best paid position in both the Pro 12 and the Aviva (have they updated the statistics?)

10's are top in both leagues.. but consider that 3's are bottom of the Pro12 structure yet 5th in the Aviva one spot behind FB's. On elf the others big differences was the 12 in the Pro12 at 14th and yet at 2 in the Aviva.. It sort of shows the difference in what people will pay to different positions..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

The cost of a 69 is a shyte season.

I'll get my coat.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

I suspect I'm in the minority here, but grim though the result was I think there was a good bit of positive there. What I want most when I see someone playing for Ulster is them to take pride in their shirt and put their body on the line for the cause. With the exception of Rodney (who was an embarrassment) I think to a man the team did that. After a few of the recent atrocities I took a bit of heart from the way the team defended.

Not much was offered in attack, but post injuries our team sheet was Marshall, Cooney, last years A team and a tribute act to a once great Lions winger. With the players we've lost and are missing for one reason or another, we're just not good enough to be competing for the league. What hopefully is there though is a lot of young players buying into the cause who (along with the Internationals and injured when they come back) can be built upon if and when the dead wood is cleared.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

MightyRearranger wrote:I suspect I'm in the minority here, but grim though the result was I think there was a good bit of positive there. What I want most when I see someone playing for Ulster is them to take pride in their shirt and put their body on the line for the cause. With the exception of Rodney (who was an embarrassment) I think to a man the team did that. After a few of the recent atrocities I took a bit of heart from the way the team defended.

Not much was offered in attack, but post injuries our team sheet was Marshall, Cooney, last years A team and a tribute act to a once great Lions winger. With the players we've lost and are missing for one reason or another, we're just not good enough to be competing for the league. What hopefully is there though is a lot of young players buying into the cause who (along with the Internationals and injured when they come back) can be built upon if and when the dead wood is cleared.
The biggest negative was failing to close out a 2 point lead with possession in their 22 and a shade over 2 mins on the clock. If the same discipline shown defending our goal line had been applied there we would have secured the win.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I’ve just watched it again and I simply don’t understand why Rodders rolls up to the defensive line and sticks his arm in the air as if he was asking Teacher if he could go to the toilet. He does it every time and the only logical explanation is it lets his teammates see exactly where he is, so they can cover that area when the Lard Tub is bypassed by anyone moving fast than the Hunt Glacier.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Mighty R, I have sympathy for your point of view, for, without doubt, barring Rodders, there was no lack of effort which is the bottom line for most fans.

The sad fact is that we blew a win in a game we really didn't deserve to win but absolutely needed to. I've seldom seen a side penned into their own 22 with the wind in their favour. I give enormous credit to wee Cockers who I suspect sussed us out and delivered the correct messages at half-time.

Whilst effort was not the issue, we made far too many poor decision, culminating in the clusterballix of Louis holding on to the ball in an area where allowing the jackal was not going to be fatal, and this quickly copperfastened by Tommyfuc'kingBowe's insanity.

I'm 100% with Snipe, we will finish 4th and I will be surprised if we manage 2 wins out of the last 6, that will require one away win as well as beating Ospreys. Weegies will rape us at Spanners.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Mighty R, I have sympathy for your point of view, for, without doubt, barring Rodders, there was no lack of effort which is the bottom line for most fans.

The sad fact is that we blew a win in a game we really didn't deserve to win but absolutely needed to. I've seldom seen a side penned into their own 22 with the wind in their favour. I give enormous credit to wee Cockers who I suspect sussed us out and delivered the correct messages at half-time.

Whilst effort was not the issue, we made far too many poor decision, culminating in the clusterballix of Louis holding on to the ball in an area where allowing the jackal was not going to be fatal, and this quickly copperfastened by Tommyfuc'kingBowe's insanity.

I'm 100% with Snipe, we will finish 4th and I will be surprised if we manage 2 wins out of the last 6, that will require one away win as well as beating Ospreys. Weegies will rape us at Spanners.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

The only possible plus would be there really would be no doubt that radical changes would be needed in order to go forward. A swap of JG for LK and getting rid of a few out of contract daves isn’t going to cut it....I have no doubt there are people who don’t want, and won’t accept there are lessons to be learnt.

I would love, but am not expecting, a raft of changes (personnel staff/players) announced during the off season with a mission statement telling everyone what UR is going to built on going forward.....young local players, ambitious irish players, excellent NIQ who have the ability but also the right character (genuine buy in) to represent the province, coaching excellence. If that was forthcoming and a genuine aim not a soundbite, I don’t think genuine fans would give out.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Pity Duncan Weir didn't pay attention to this before the match: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -0stxgcnqr or maybe he did.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Cockatrice wrote:Does having business interests with Constable represent a potential conflict of interest?

I'd guess probably technically not....however it does pose a question or three about their continued relationship. Putting oneself in the position where such questions can be posed is almost as bad as having commited the alleged wrongdoing....mud tends to stick when it gets thrown.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dharper wrote:The only possible plus would be there really would be no doubt that radical changes would be needed in order to go forward. A swap of JG for LK and getting rid of a few out of contract daves isn’t going to cut it....I have no doubt there are people who don’t want, and won’t accept there are lessons to be learnt.

I would love, but am not expecting, a raft of changes (personnel staff/players) announced during the off season with a mission statement telling everyone what UR is going to built on going forward.....young local players, ambitious irish players, excellent NIQ who have the ability but also the right character (genuine buy in) to represent the province, coaching excellence. If that was forthcoming and a genuine aim not a soundbite, I don’t think genuine fans would give out.
I have heard something along these lines:

Bums on seats signings like Piutau will not happen again, acknowledged as a mistake, allegedly by WD Slogan
The Academy is the future, we have to get it producing
Bryn needs to improve on the quality of recent signings most of whom have been dung or broken
Next season must halt the slide
Review of all areas in train now, results before end of season
No. 1 priority is Academy. No. 2 is Pro Team - that order encourages me to hope for longer-term thinking and hopefully the start of the end for Daves.

And yes, we've heard it all before however, it does appear that it is absolutely understood how critical it is to understand and act on the current shambolic situation. We've had reviews before, this one better be honest and acted upon.

My own priority would be to thank Shane Logan for his efforts, give him his P45, get a new appointment in place before the end of this season and seek FIRFU help in getting Mick Dawson up from Leinster for a brief period to mentor and recommend on what is not being done as the experts in Leinster do it. Dawson has been CEO in Dublin since 2001, his CV is nigh on impeccable as a rugby CEO, remarkably he even admits to having erred once. Refreshing.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
muscles
Novice

Post by muscles »

The capability review needs to be overseen by someone independent of all those who have got us to where we are. An external professional is needed. A new CEO is likely to be one of the outcomes.
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

As an aside - was anyone else left feeling a little underwhelmed by the peformance of the 'best referee in the world' on Friday night, after the magnificently efficient performance of the Lady Referee the week before?

You don't realise how disruptive (and often pointless) a visit to the TMO can be until you've had a game where a referee has enough confidence in themselves to not make use of it.
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”