We just lost to Edinburgh

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: We just lost to Edinburgh

Post by Deraless »

Jesus, Mary and Holy Saint José that was a tough watch.
Embra were totally one dimensional and we couldn't cope. But they only needed to be, as it kept working. No consolation that our defence (in parts) looked to have improved. So instead of making them playing in their half we kept having kicks charged down. To keep making the same mistake is inexcusable.
Haven't been hooped looking up stats but what was our possession? 30-40%? Yet we would still have won but for Tommy's mental aberration.
The turning point was McPhillips' injury. Stewart had a steep learning curve and Cooney isn't a 10 despite his game tackling.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Can't even remember leaving any points on the pitch. 16 was the max we were getting tonight.

Polly Cotton
Novice

Post by Polly Cotton »

I thought we were unlucky
You may know my sister, Dot
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Best side won, Edinburgh kept us in the game with errors, in saying that the loss of Gilroy and McPhilips were crucial as best back sub left was Cave and he was unavailable as an impact basically as we had no other backs left.
Defence linespeed is a lot better and looks far more organised as well but our subs in general were not what was required against a pretty physical pack.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooster wrote:Best side won, Edinburgh kept us in the game with errors, in saying that the loss of Gilroy and McPhilips were crucial as best back sub left was Cave and he was unavailable as an impact basically as we had no other backs left.
Defence linespeed is a lot better and looks far more organised as well but our subs in general were not what was required against a pretty physical pack.
Rooster i agree about the defence, albeit i want to see evidence of that away from home before pronouncing any judgement on it.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Bart S wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Is it just bad luck with injuries or is our S&D past it’s sell by date.....

Rodney once again proves he is a waste and not sure Iron Man Deysel is much better...
In the heyday of the 2011/2012 season we lost 3 in a row before the Heiny, culminating in a 23-12 loss at home to Treviso. Our 1-9 that day compared to the Munster QF team was missing Court, Best, afoa, muller, Ferris and Ruan.

So basically we have always been pretty poor Strength in depth wise. We were blessed that season with lots of luck injury wise in many of the key games, particularly upfront. We have been paying for that ever since though....
Typo.. meant S&C there must be more to it than just bad luck..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Maybe S&M? Or in Rodders case M&S.

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
jean valjean wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Yeh but Rodders wasn't on for long.. but Rory rates him
Beginning to doubt Rory's character references.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
FFFS Jean, don't be saying that there are two outhalfs in the high court relying on Rory's reference.

LOOK .......Tommy, FFFS, when young M'Phillips passed into touch Tommy was on his heels, the young lad rightly expected him on his toes going forward :duh: ............everything Tommy did in the game was negative :duh: :duh: .........then he lost a game that we deserved to lose, but shouldn't have but for his fu'ck up. :duh: :duh: :duh: Good God in Heaven, Tommy Bowe ...........just go. Trimby must be showing absolutely nothing in training to be behind Tommy in the pecking order, at least the GLU tackles.

LOOK ........................ Cockers ........ no, not you, I hope we are at least talking to him. I was with an Edinburgh fan tonight who is a friend of a friend and he said they were down to their 4th choice props & 5th choice hooker. Cockers has that team playing as a team, two weeks in a row they have been losing with 2 points their likely gain, instead, they got 9.

I can see no way of Ulster getting past them, injuries alone have killed the season, we are really down now to the bones of our arses, Cooney at 10? Who plays on the wings?

Ah .................LOOK, it's been a shyte season............... FOLK discovered last season that McCloskey & NHL are two stout-hearted players who will give you what they have, but there is not an ounce of creativity in their partnership, and outside them tonight :duh: :duh: :duh: ...................... just nothing.

Deysel????? stripped of the ball 3 times by my count.

Then you have Rodney :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what a stupid basterd, the one time we get into their 22 in the second half, the pack had already got their ballcarrier in touch according to a pal in the grandstand ......... enter Rodney, stage left, in from the side so instead of our lineout they get a penalty. Moron.

4 kicks charged down from the 2 scrum halfs, 2 each.WTF

When people mock those of us who believe Cave should be playing, let me explain why, he is one of the very few players Ulster have who is in possession of a rugby brain. After about 10 minutes of the 2nd half I realised that Cockers had the game sussed, all Embra had to do was close down McCloskey & Marshall ...........admittedly not the most difficult of tasks as they are as a pair as sharp as a balloon................ because we had literally nothing to offer outside them, so I sat hoped Conney could win it ........................ but I hadn't allowed for Rodney & Tommy throwing the game away through just really really dumb rugby.

To put the tin hat on it, when they brought on wee fat Weir, much to the disgust of my Embra pal, I knew exactly the manner of our defeat................and so it fu'cking came to pass.

So then 7th SDC playoff against Connacht, Ospreys or Caaaaaaadiff.

Tommy said recently he thought he could still do a job for Ireland if required. Not sure what job he had in mind, but it can’t have been one that involved him contributing anything on the pitch.

Luke Marshall was one of our best players tonight.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Deraless wrote:Maybe S&M? Or in Rodders case M&S.

Surely you mean KFC for Rodders ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
jean valjean wrote:

FFFS Jean, don't be saying that there are two outhalfs in the high court relying on Rory's reference.

LOOK .......Tommy, FFFS, when young M'Phillips passed into touch Tommy was on his heels, the young lad rightly expected him on his toes going forward :duh: ............everything Tommy did in the game was negative :duh: :duh: .........then he lost a game that we deserved to lose, but shouldn't have but for his fu'ck up. :duh: :duh: :duh: Good God in Heaven, Tommy Bowe ...........just go. Trimby must be showing absolutely nothing in training to be behind Tommy in the pecking order, at least the GLU tackles.

LOOK ........................ Cockers ........ no, not you, I hope we are at least talking to him. I was with an Edinburgh fan tonight who is a friend of a friend and he said they were down to their 4th choice props & 5th choice hooker. Cockers has that team playing as a team, two weeks in a row they have been losing with 2 points their likely gain, instead, they got 9.

I can see no way of Ulster getting past them, injuries alone have killed the season, we are really down now to the bones of our arses, Cooney at 10? Who plays on the wings?

Ah .................LOOK, it's been a shyte season............... FOLK discovered last season that McCloskey & NHL are two stout-hearted players who will give you what they have, but there is not an ounce of creativity in their partnership, and outside them tonight :duh: :duh: :duh: ...................... just nothing.

Then you have Rodney :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what a stupid basterd, the one time we get into their 22 in the second half, the pack had already got their ballcarrier in touch according to a pal in the grandstand ......... enter Rodney, stage left, in from the side so instead of our lineout they get a penalty. Moron.

When people mock those of us who believe Cave should be playing, let me explain why, he is one of the very few players Ulster have who is in possession of a rugby brain. After about 10 minutes of the 2nd half I realised that Cockers had the game sussed, all Embra had to do was close down McCloskey & Marshall ...........admittedly not the most difficult of tasks as they are as a pair as sharp as a balloon................ because we had literally nothing to offer outside them, so I sat hoped Conney could win it ........................ but I hadn't allowed for Rodney & Tommy throwing the game away through just really really dumb rugby.

To put the tin hat on it, when they brought on wee fat Weir, much to the disgust of my Embra pal, I knew exactly the manner of our defeat................and so it fu'cking came to pass.

Tommy said recently he thought he could still do a job for Ireland if required. Not sure what job he had in mind, but it can’t have been one that involved him contributing anything on the pitch.

Of course, he was, I've lost count of the number of times I've said I hate being critical of him because he will defend his line all day long and do everything he can ...................... but think about it, barring Cooney's try, did we ever look like creating anything? How many times did we look like scoring a try after the first 10-15 minutes when I thought we played our only rugby of the night with any sense of purpose?

If anyone looked back about 15 months you would find me making the same comments, McCloskey & Marshall are a solid but dire centre pairing because neither is remotely creative, two wholehearted players but not a partnership that any remotely decent team will have trouble defending against.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

We just lost to Edinburgh

Post by kingofthehill »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Bart S wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
jean valjean wrote:

Of course, he was, I've lost count of the number of times I've said I hate being critical of him because he will defend his line all day long and do everything he can ...................... but think about it, barring Cooney's try, did we ever look like creating anything? How many times did we look like scoring a try after the first 10-15 minutes when I thought we played our only rugby of the night with any sense of purpose?

If anyone looked back about 15 months you would find me making the same comments, McCloskey & Marshall are a solid but dire centre pairing because neither is remotely creative, two wholehearted players but not a partnership that any remotely decent team will have trouble defending against.
Didn’t see the game and glad I missed it.

Backs creative or we have solid hit up at 12 nearly every phaseImage?
Peel likes to keep them guessing Image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Treadwell to me was extremely poor at lock.

Thought Rea was better, at least he can make yards.

Injuries and court cases have screwed us over, but I thought the systems in place looked good, it was individual errors and one on one missed tackles that screwed us over. No protection for the SH on about 5 occassions was very poor from all concerned.

Once Gilroy went off our back 3 offered zero threat,Ludik is solid, Busby if slow and Tommy is done.

Why was Busby ahead of Nelson last night? (who warmed up)
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Nelson only plays away from home!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Because ‘it’s good to talk’?
Yes we are more physical since the poison dwarf departed, but clearly still no match for even Embra’s seconds. Defended our line well for most of the match, but we did far too much defending our line.
We’ll now be forced to play Tommy Bowe and feck knows he shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad, but injuries will see him start. He has ruined his reputation already and he looks capable of turning himself into a Rodders type figure of fun, who’ll be remembered as a waste of space who gives us nothing going forward and contributes to our downfall.
In time I’ll calm down and remember how good Tommy was, but right now I wouldn’t buy a pair of brogues from him.
I thought last season was our worst, but feck me pink missus this one beats all comers.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

In the first half our linespeed was really very good. It just seemed like we couldn't sustain it. Is anyone else concerned about the fitness of this team?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?