We just lost to Edinburgh

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: We just lost to Edinburgh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:From the moment Gilroy got injured running through an armless tackle I had the feeling Ulster would struggle having lost nearly 1/2 of last weeks starting backline to injury -and when McPhillips went off it was over half .

Plus most appear to forget in the Key positions on the field -- back row and half backs not one player played regularly for Ulster last year and 3 are possibly under 22/23 and the second row is not much older .

That the team only lost the game on the last kick should be a morale booster for them this is the side that beat Leinster and was running in trys the week before .It was a near win based on heart and some luck , and lost by foolishness and inexperience.

To some extent it was not Nigel's best night with the whistle their second try had the look of a forward pass; and there were to many charged down kicks for players to have been always on side and not coming in from the side.Those charge downs kept the game in the Ulster half and pressure on the defence .

Only the one eyed fickle will cease to attend those who wish to watch a rugby match will continue to go recognising the team has been butchered not by design but circumstances and injuries and two years will be needed to allow some to develop.

This is not an Ulster are brill post but one recognising the reasons why they struggle against stronger and more experienced sides hoping that given time they might improve .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Ron'n, much of that is fair comment, however, you should realise that there is a substantial component of the support that is there for a good time rather than the rugby necessarily. A dead and dying atmosphere and a stadium with loads of empty space will not appeal to these people.

It is a stone cold fact that this season the attendances are down around 2000 per game, I'm the sort that occasionally checks such things out.

It's also a fact that Ulster will make a loss this year, not major but it puts the organisation in a position where a serious decline in standards, poor results and weakening attendance figures will have serious effects in the future affecting retention of players, ability to pay for top class and above all be able to invest enough to become competitive again......... not to mention value to sponsors and all the extraneous shyte that is part of the package for big teams and small.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

I wonder how much damage has been done to the core in Logan's attempts to widen the appeal of the match day experience?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The whatsapp messages signify a complete and utter disrespect for women. It will be a somewhat unpalatable experience to see them wear the shirt again, should that opportunity arise. Time will tell.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Dave wrote:The whatsapp messages signify a complete and utter disrespect for women. It will be a somewhat unpalatable experience to see them wear the shirt again, should that opportunity arise. Time will tell.
I haven't commented much on the issue but this is close to where I'm at currently. Best case scenario, they're still little shits.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

shamalicious wrote:
Dave wrote:The whatsapp messages signify a complete and utter disrespect for women. It will be a somewhat unpalatable experience to see them wear the shirt again, should that opportunity arise. Time will tell.
I haven't commented much on the issue but this is close to where I'm at currently. Best case scenario, they're still little shits.

But what if all the yutes are little sh!ts?

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
rumncoke wrote:From the moment Gilroy got injured running through an armless tackle I had the feeling Ulster would struggle having lost nearly 1/2 of last weeks starting backline to injury -and when McPhillips went off it was over half .

Plus most appear to forget in the Key positions on the field -- back row and half backs not one player played regularly for Ulster last year and 3 are possibly under 22/23 and the second row is not much older .

That the team only lost the game on the last kick should be a morale booster for them this is the side that beat Leinster and was running in trys the week before .It was a near win based on heart and some luck , and lost by foolishness and inexperience.

To some extent it was not Nigel's best night with the whistle their second try had the look of a forward pass; and there were to many charged down kicks for players to have been always on side and not coming in from the side.Those charge downs kept the game in the Ulster half and pressure on the defence .

Only the one eyed fickle will cease to attend those who wish to watch a rugby match will continue to go recognising the team has been butchered not by design but circumstances and injuries and two years will be needed to allow some to develop.

This is not an Ulster are brill post but one recognising the reasons why they struggle against stronger and more experienced sides hoping that given time they might improve .

Ron'n, much of that is fair comment, however, you should realise that there is a substantial component of the support that is there for a good time rather than the rugby necessarily. A dead and dying atmosphere and a stadium with loads of empty space will not appeal to these people.

It is a stone cold fact that this season the attendances are down around 2000 per game, I'm the sort that occasionally checks such things out.

It's also a fact that Ulster will make a loss this year, not major but it puts the organisation in a position where a serious decline in standards, poor results and weakening attendance figures will have serious effects in the future affecting retention of players, ability to pay for top class and above all be able to invest enough to become competitive again......... not to mention value to sponsors and all the extraneous shyte that is part of the package for big teams and small.
Baggy - Any idea whether other team’s are also suffering attendance declines (ie the league generally) or are we the exception/more pronounced.

I am a bit surprised if it is just us as to be fair, the supporters generally see us win at home and whilst we all love to see great rugby, I suspect winning will get more people through the doors than anything else.

Of course for some people (ie more like posters on here) it will be apathy based on what the team produces away from home which is discouraging them from attending,
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Thankgod CP is leaving. Hopefully a good Dave clear out/ not resigning of contracts will save a load, with the cheaper backing of young players to boot. I hope Gibbes stays and a wiser recruitment policy based on performance not commercial considerations implemented. With Farrell coming in short term (too late), I think there’ll have to be a proper plan implemented going forward because UR can’t be trusted in its current form to dig its way out of this brad pitt.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooster wrote:
BR wrote:So what I'm thinking is. Other than for an improved defence that would have been a lot worse.
My thoughts as well BR, defence a few weeks back and they would have gone home with a 4 try bonus.

There’s also an argument that a few weeks ago we would have found a way to win that game, based on our home record this season. This is the worst home defeat of the season so far after all.

I recall Dragons (i think) and Quins getting a 4 try bp at Kingspan in games in which they were comfortably beaten. I honestly can’t remember which other teams have got one at the Kingspan?

Anyway, the real test of any improved defensive performance will be consistent delivery in a few games away from home, like you, i believe there were encouraging signs yesterday, but equally you could argue there were good signs after games like Quins away and La Rochelle at home and we actually went on to win those games.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

ColinM wrote:
shamalicious wrote:

But what if all the yutes are little sh!ts?

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
Nope
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Bart S wrote:
Rooster wrote:
BR wrote:So what I'm thinking is. Other than for an improved defence that would have been a lot worse.
My thoughts as well BR, defence a few weeks back and they would have gone home with a 4 try bonus.

There’s also an argument that a few weeks ago we would have found a way to win that game, based on our home record this season. This is the worst home defeat of the season so far after all.

I recall Dragons (i think) and Quins getting a 4 try bp at Kingspan in games in which they were comfortably beaten. I honestly can’t remember which other teams have got one at the Kingspan?

Anyway, the real test of any improved defensive performance will be consistent delivery in a few games away from home, like you, i believe there were encouraging signs yesterday, but equally you could argue there were good signs after games like Quins away and La Rochelle at home and we actually went on to win those games.
Different sort of encouraging sign, I think. This looks like things have been changed, rather than the things we were trying to do worked on those occasions. I think that makes sense.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BR -i think and hope you are right but with Ulster i always have my doubts, esepcially when the new regime has only played at the comforts of the Kingspan.

Hopefully a couple of good away performances soon will prove you to be right. :red:
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

No Henderson, no CP, no RB, no Reidy (pretty much all playing a few weeks ago) squad hollowed out to the core.
It’s unfortunate this is the only way UR test those young players we have, but at least we’ll see exactly what we have talent wise coming through. I’m not remotely bothered re league playoffs because we are fecking miles off the standard needed. I’d actually like a SDC play off game, and ok injury roster to pick from.....I’d just want to see who Gibbes would pick. There is undoubtedly a lack of talent in the squad, but what is a lot worse....a lack of attitude, and for some guts.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

As I stated Baggy I think the team will need about 2 yrs to sort it's self out .

As for the 2 idiots in the spotlight while the "Sisterhood" will be in righteous mood whatever the verdict they are not the first nor will they be last to make mistakes with regard to human relationships .

I knew a girl who had an evening with a rugby player and describe him as an animal ( long time ago ) and a few rugby players on tour who were less than Gentlemen , not that I approved of it then or now , but it happens .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Jackie Brown was talking about Charlie earlier in the thread. Not joking, I left pretty sharpish after the FT whistle and as I was walking past the Free P church who else comes driving along but Charlie in his big BMW jeep. Him in it and already on the road home. He must have left before the final whistle, or else he ran very flipping quickly!!

So much for team spirit, that he couldn't even wait to greet his team mates in the changing room or even spent sometime signing autographs for the young kids!!!!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

shamalicious wrote:

No question at all about that Shammy, the only issue is are they guilty shits or innocent shits? I don't disagree Dave regarding the messages, however, what young lads may say to their mates is not always how they are.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.