Does anyone else sort of feel sorry for Cooney...?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Does anyone else sort of feel sorry for Cooney...?

Post by Cornerfleg »

Now dont get me wrong i don't give a flying shyte about Ireland.... But based on what my take on what ive seen this sad season, Cooney has not only been our best most consistent player, but is streets ahead of Marmite and not that far off Murray's deserved world class status.

That pin point left hand pass at full speed after 70 odd minutes to Gillers for his 3rd try was barely acknowledged by anyone.... And if im honest a tiny bit of wee came out when he made that one.

Is he suffering a bit at Ulster with a loyalty to Ruan?

Now without s doubt Ruan was the best player i have ever watched live, id put him above Colin Patterson and in the same paragraph as Gareth Edwards who imho was the the Don Bradman of rugby.

But back to the issue at hand, I still feel Cooney isnt being credited or enjoyed as he should due to the Pienaar effect.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Does anyone else sort of feel sorry for Cooney...?

Post by big mervyn »

I think he's been widely credited at Ulster if not in D4. I'd be surprised if he isn't this year's player of the season.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

So far he is as far as I am concerned and I can't think of any others even near him to change my mind at this stage.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He seems also to have found his kicking game also (from hand). He put in a couple of monstrous box kicks. I thought Stewart was really good when he came on too. With McPhillips looking good also is it time we congratulate Dwayne Peel?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Well Stockdale might be up there too...
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Well Stockdale might be up there too...
Dropped a bit with his horror show in the RDS
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Fecked about out of position by Ray Charles Kiss.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Jacob young player of the year but Cooney's influence has been immense in the most trying circumstances.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I didn't see RP at his best but anyone who did must still have been impressed by the way Cooney has gone about his work this season.

This is an interesting interview with him. He's been trained to think, perform and conduct himself like he is a regular international. And he even spends his time off hanging out with old dudes to keep them company. If I had a daughter, I'd be happy to marry her off to this lad.

http://www.goqradio.com/midulster/news/ ... rejection/

The Luke Fitz podcast that Cave was on recently hinted at a bit of history with him and Joe but he can't be ignored for long if he keeps doing what he's doing.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ruan was a game changer when he came because his long pass provided space for the out half and he had the vision of an out half to what the possible options were .

latterly the weaknesses of his game became more exposed and his strengths became a liability because the team relied on him to conjure some magic .

Cooney maybe over valued because everyone expected the side to fold with out Ruan and he has exceeded their expectation .

No doubt he is competent and as good as the other unstudies to Murray but some way behind him .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

big mervyn wrote:I think he's been widely credited at Ulster if not in D4. I'd be surprised if he isn't this year's player of the season.
Nah Charlie all the way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

It would be a no brainer if we had played Stu at 6. And job shared McNelson.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:
That pin point left hand pass at full speed after 70 odd minutes to Gillers for his 3rd try was barely acknowledged by anyone.... And if im honest a tiny bit of wee came out when he made that one.
Had you been in your usual spot on Friday night, you'd have heard me waxing lyrical to all and sundry about that pass. It was an absolute clinker. One of those small "augh man" moments of pure filth.

I like a fella that goes all in, moves to prove a point and delivers in spades. John Cooney is my kind of player and without a shadow of a doubt our player of the season and that's with all due respect to Jacob.

Anyone comparing John to Ruan needs their head examined. Ruan is unique, an atypical scrumhalf who really played 9.5. JC is a quality traditional 9 who we will see the very best of when he is paired with a quality 10.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I am somewhat conflicted by the question you pose Fleg. I have clearly not recovered my equilibrium since Nucibastard stabbed Ruan in the back, front, ballix, just about everywhere. I doubt I will ever recover from the sheer malice involved in that decision, I genuinely wish Nucifora had died rather than his child, the child clearly didn't deserve that. I hate that man with my entire being, nothing that happens to him could possibly be bad enough.

I was angered by young Cave saying that Nucifora had been proved right yet nobody had apologised. Sorry young Darren, you have absolutely missed the point. It was a ghastly decision, throwing a man who had turned down a fortune to be loyal to Ulster away like a used rubber. Outrageous.

So with the scene set. I have been hugely impressed by Cooney, at the start partly because expectations were low but that does not do him justice. He plays a smart game but he has also shown great pace both in attack and especially in defence where he has saved the blushes of always out of position Piutau, who has less appetite for tackling than Bobby Sands had for fish suppers, time and again. His place kicking for a "hobby kicker" as he describes himself has been excellent, decent pass, a good break and he has something I prize greatly in a scrum half, he's a narky spikey 9 as most of the best have always been.

Do I feel sorry for him being ignored by Schmidtferbrains? I have absolutely no fu'cks to give, other than sympathy for his personal ambition.

FOFIRFU you Dublinbastards.
FOJS
FODN yabastard

A player who will not be player of the season but deserves huge recognition is Nick Timoney, makes you wonder what purpose Deysel serves. :scratch:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Nice to see a player spending their days off volunteering and not in the VIP section in Ollies.