Bye Charles

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Bye Charles

Post by big mervyn »

Gary wrote:For the umpteenth time, the word is "crack". It is not an Irish word...it's an English word dating back to the Middle Ages. It means "news" - eg one guy rides from his village into the nearest town and when he returns, his neighbours ask him to tell them the crack. I am given to understand the reason it passed into Irish as "craic" was that there is no "k" in the Irish alphabet. Maybe an Irish speaker around here could either confirm or rubbish the lack of an Irish "k". Sorry, but my school didn't teach Irish, so I took Latin as my dead language. (Only joking. Don't take offence anybody)
Alas, as the OED tries to become more populist and now accepts words that are wrong or don't exist if the current crop of uneducated dimwits who have been failed by teachers who themselves were never taught their own language, I believe "craic" has entered the dictionary as "a word from Irish". Bloody maddening.
My understanding too Gary - Northern Lionel dialect rather than lowland Scots. I know that may be justification in some quarters for changing it but to do so is just small minded palatics by small minded people who have no real regard for language - the sort of ballixes that would deface their own fleg to try to make a point. Harrumph!

https://www.cumbriacrack.com/
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

When you get to your latter 60s no fart is amusing .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Re Charlie at full back it might have worked playing a deep backline but was a waste when the ball seldom made it past the inside centre or off a slow recycle .

On kick return running into an across field defence every team put two men to mark him one low one high to stop the off load because he couldn't or seldom kicked once started to run and lost his advantage of pace by a jig before contact .

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:When you get to your latter 60s no fart is amusing .
I won't argue with experience Ron'n, however at 63 farting remains one of life's great pleasures and a potential source of amusement.

I know you vaguely knew/knew of my friend Mervyn Hardy, he went on holiday with another mutual friend Peter. It was a drinking and tennis holiday, one day as Peter rose for a smash, as he hit it he followed through in more ways than one and shat himself.

Two points, 1) Peter was not in his late 60s 2) Mervyn found it hilarious, Peter not so much. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
rumncoke wrote:When you get to your latter 60s no fart is amusing .
I won't argue with experience Ron'n, however at 63 farting remains one of life's great pleasures and a potential source of amusement.

I know you vaguely knew/knew of my friend Mervyn Hardy, he went on holiday with another mutual friend Peter. It was a drinking and tennis holiday, one day as Peter rose for a smash, as he hit it he followed through in more ways than one and shat himself.

Two points, 1) Peter was not in his late 60s 2) Mervyn found it hilarious, Peter not so much. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Commonly referred to as a "shart". Sometimes new words have their place >EW
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Vaguely related on his mothers side and his father fitted me out with glasses in my youth .

His sister was a source of some family photos when my sister compiled the family tree .

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

rumncoke wrote:Vaguely related on his mothers side and his father fitted me out with glasses in my youth .

His sister was a source of some family photos when my sister compiled the family tree .

And so the baggy and rum bromance continues..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cockatrice wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Vaguely related on his mothers side and his father fitted me out with glasses in my youth .

And so the baggy and rum bromance continues..
I'm confused. Is Rum's Ma Baggy's Da? :scratch:
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What a claim to fame. I'm related to that fella Baggy knows, who sh1t himself on a tennis court.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:What a claim to fame. I'm related to that fella Baggy knows, who sh1t himself on a tennis court.
David Niven would have killed for that anecdote.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Sharing a house with Errol Flynn , David Niven had no shortage of antidotes.

Dave as far as I 'm aware Baggy are related in anyway and I am to far right of Attila the Hun for any closer relationship of any kind , Baggy I 'm sure would prefer a tight assed choir boy over the age of consent .than one widen by a Barium enema .

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote:Sharing a house with Errol Flynn , David Niven had no shortage of antidotes.

Dave as far as I 'm aware Baggy are related in anyway and I am to far right of Attila the Hun for any closer relationship of any kind , Baggy I 'm sure would prefer a tight assed choir boy over the age of consent .than one widen by a Barium enema .

Ffs Rum. Some of us haven't had our Sunday dinner yet.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

if your like me you don't need it and I've just eaten mine - it's an act of trust - I 'm getting immune to poison much to the wife's dismay .

I bought a lottery ticket the other week the top prize was £ 109m - I didn't win and the wife didn't talk to me for 3 hours .

Sometimes it worth losing .

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:
Gary wrote:For the umpteenth time, the word is "crack". It is not an Irish word...it's an English word dating back to the Middle Ages. It means "news" - eg one guy rides from his village into the nearest town and when he returns, his neighbours ask him to tell them the crack. I am given to understand the reason it passed into Irish as "craic" was that there is no "k" in the Irish alphabet. Maybe an Irish speaker around here could either confirm or rubbish the lack of an Irish "k". Sorry, but my school didn't teach Irish, so I took Latin as my dead language. (Only joking. Don't take offence anybody)
Alas, as the OED tries to become more populist and now accepts words that are wrong or don't exist if the current crop of uneducated dimwits who have been failed by teachers who themselves were never taught their own language, I believe "craic" has entered the dictionary as "a word from Irish". Bloody maddening.
My understanding too Gary - Northern Lionel dialect rather than lowland Scots. I know that may be justification in some quarters for changing it but to do so is just small minded palatics by small minded people who have no real regard for language - the sort of ballixes that would deface their own fleg to try to make a point. Harrumph!

craic is the Irish spelling (by way of phonic translation) of the English word crack (meaning a fissure and also meaning news/gossip/conviviality) The 2nd of those modern English words is from the modern Scots and before that possibly the middle English.

So if you're speaking Irish - I have no problem with you using 'craic'. The problem is when you choose to translate it for use in English.

The word 'Craic' was invented by a joint marketing committee of Bord Failte and Guinness in the late 1970s in order to sell more stout and get people to spend their holiday fortnight in the pishing rain.

My offer of 5 pints still applies to anyone who can find the spelling of craic before 1975. This offer has existed for many years and Holywood Mike has bought more beer than me. Should you wish to claim please call me on my teileafon and we can discuss it.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

craic is the Irish spelling (by way of phonic translation) of the English word crack (meaning a fissure and also meaning news/gossip/conviviality) The 2nd of those modern English words is from the modern Scots and before that possibly the middle English.

So if you're speaking Irish - I have no problem with you using 'craic'. The problem is when you choose to translate it for use in English.

The word 'Craic' was invented by a joint marketing committee of Bord Failte and Guinness in the late 1970s in order to sell more stout and get people to spend their holiday fortnight in the pishing rain.

My offer of 5 pints still applies to anyone who can find the spelling of craic before 1975. This offer has existed for many years and Holywood Mike has bought more beer than me. Should you wish to claim please call me on my teileafon and we can discuss it.
From wiki:
See, for example, this newspaper advertisement: "TEACH FURBO: AG OSCAILT ANOCHT: CEOL AGUS CRAIC". Connacht Sentinel (in Irish). 30 July 1968. p. 5.
Big Neville Southall