Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Replacement 10

Post by stickinout »

Surely if the FIRFU are calling the shots, they'll buy out an exile out half and bring him "home"? :stir: :mexican:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Christian Leali’ifano.
Yup, may not be a pure 10, but he's a heck of a rugby player and tough as teak.
vinny-shell-do.jpg
vinny-shell-do.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 486 times
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Story in the indo that uncle Joe is putting the squeeze on Leinster to move carbery or Byrne north. Apparently they met last weekend which rattled a few cages. Of the 2 i would prefer Byrne but it is likely to be Joey as that would leave Leinster short during international periods.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Leinster are under increasing pressure from Joe Schmidt and the IRFU to provide Ulster with a replacement for the exiled Paddy Jackson, even though both candidates — Joey Carbery and Ross Byrne — are reluctant to move.

Schmidt and IRFU performance director David Nucifora visited Leinster’s training centre last Sunday morning to inform head coach Leo Cullen that he needed to make a choice between the two youngsters — who was staying and who was leaving. Moreover, he needed to make his choice promptly.

Leinster are understood to be furious that Cullen should be pressurised like this in the week of a Champions Cup semi-final. The matter was eventually deferred but Schmidt and Nucifora mean business. After the sacking of Jackson, Ulster desperately need some certainty for next season in this pivotal position. Schmidt, meanwhile, needs to ensure regular game-time for Carbery, his second-choice 10, in the lead-up to next year’s World Cup in Japan. Leinster have used Carbery as a full-back more often than not this season, with Byrne and Johnny Sexton sharing the fly-half duties.

If Cullen and Stuart Lancaster are forced into making a call, the chances are that they would choose to keep Byrne, seeing as Carbery is likely to be unavailable, along with Sexton, for large chunks of the season on international duty. Byrne has yet to be called upon by Schmidt but he represents a safe pair of hands in Sexton’s absence.

Leinster are naturally reluctant to release a talented game-changer like Carbery. The player himself has repeatedly stated that his preference is to stay put. “I’m pretty happy in Leinster,” Carbery said recently. “The coaches have confidence in me. I don’t see myself moving. Whether it’s at 10 or 15, playing week in, week out for Leinster and Ireland is the end goal. It is very tough to put a timeline on it. You just don’t know what will happen. One injury could change it all. I am very ambitious.”

If Carbery or Byrne is transferred, this means at least nine Leinster products will be at Ulster next season, either in the senior squad or the academy.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2961 ... 6f480ab6fd
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Leinster 2nd XV
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Kofi Annan wrote:Leinster 2nd XV
Yeah no thanks
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

We'll get what we're given if we can't produce something new?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I wish the pic of pip would feck off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

kingofthehill wrote:Carbery for me.

Cooney
Lowry
Stockdale
Curtis
Hume
Lyttle
Carbery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hume looked useful if a little raw yesterday. Was first receiver a lot of the time. Good feet, kicking from hand not fantastic though and decision making not always great.
Be interesting to see Lowry at 10 with him next week.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

stickinout wrote:We'll get what we're given if we can't produce something new?

Michael Lowry. Let Curtis and him play in the friendlies.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

McPhillips is doing well. Curtis did very well coming on. Lowry coming back.

Joe, FFIRFU, Logan etc. how about you all:

h e l l
O F F
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

kingofthehill wrote:Carbery for me.

Cooney
Lowry
Stockdale
Curtis
Hume
Lyttle
Carbery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be a great young back-line. Would be worth a season letting them bed in without any pressure or expection of winning a trophy. We need a long-term strategy - and a believable one, unlike Logan's world domination.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

The IRFU should send Carbery to Ulster. Everybody would gain from such a scenario. Granted the lad himself probably likes living in Dublin but I'm sure someone can explain to him that living in Belfast is not the end of the world.

That being said I wouldn't mind if you got JJ to come north, for my own selfish reasons. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Shan wrote:The IRFU should send Carbery to Ulster. Everybody would gain from such a scenario. Granted the lad himself probably likes living in Dublin but I'm sure someone can explain to him that living in Belfast is not the end of the world.

That being said I wouldn't mind if you got JJ to come north, for my own selfish reasons. :D
Except Ulster. What would we gain from an inexperienced flyhalf from Leinster? More diluting of our province, it's obvious neither wants to move either so that'll be good for morale. He'll stay 2 seasons then off back to Leinster when Sexyton retires and we'll be back to square one.

In McPhilips, Lowry and Curtis we have 3 guys who we need to see are up to it behind an experienced head who can also play 12 to guide them. Leliafano is perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Jackie - I think Carbery has the ability to become a very good 10 if he is given the chance for gametime. That said you do make a very good point about him being inexperienced now which I overlooked. I suppose I was thinking of the longer term but fair enough that Ulster also need to think of hitting the ground running at the start of next season.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.