Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dan Dare
Squire

Re: Replacement 10

Post by Dan Dare »

222toHounslow wrote:I’m quite content watching a young team struggle but knowing that we’ve hit rock bottom and are pushing on together. Branch, team and supporters.

Of course, if things are turned around and a quality team emerges, Nucifora will take all the credit for fücking us over.

Same, spot on. But only really concerned with the first sentence. I have no thoughts on who takes the credit, should it come to pass. Who cares if Nucifora is a Trump type and wants the credit more than the outcome. Staying together and watching a team of good men is what counts.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Feel like MightyRearranger has it perfectly...best thing we could do at the memes is develop a siege mentally, everyone hates us / thinks we’re useless, we don’t care.

FWIW I’d revisit whether Ruan would come back in the wake of the Carberry move...surely we’ll have to buy anyone who’s coming out of their contract one way or the other. Still more worried about general backs depth than 10 though. We’ve very few wings and centres all of a sudden
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

MightyRearranger wrote:(a) The basis that we seemed to have a lot more decisions go our way when Humph was still here and clocking up the mileage to Dublin.
Humphreys didn't have to deal with Nucifora
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:Bad boys bad boys What you gonna do
What you gonna do when they come for you

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I hate Will Smith
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Soda wrote:
MightyRearranger wrote:(a) The basis that we seemed to have a lot more decisions go our way when Humph was still here and clocking up the mileage to Dublin.
Humphreys didn't have to deal with Nucifora
He didnt, and like with Munster and Leinster I suspect he'd get considerably less change out of the IRFU now, but that is still an infinite improvement on what seems to be the case at the moment.

With respect to Ruan for example, if re-signing him was indeed on the cards it ticks so many boxes that it's almost a no-brainer. With a single move they could:
(a) Provide cover at ten
(b) Provide desperately needed cover at nine
(c) At a pinch provide cover at fullback
(d) Provide a mentor for some of the young players coming through
(e) Help start rebuilding bridges with a lot of disillusioned fans

If Munster or Leinster had been in the same situation I strongly suspect there'd be no end of discussion in the media around the above points, there'd be a newspaper article that practically writes itself. Our thankfully departing CEO doesn't even seem to realise that the players not speaking to him and fans wanting him gone is a problem though, so is it any wonder there's nobody publically making our case?
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Columbo wrote: Yes it's frustrating to hear of us being knocked back on the out-half hunt, but my guess is this dates back to the period when the IRFU were pushing the Carberry/Byrne to Ulster plan. That hasn't panned out, not our fault. I still expect us to sign a good NIQ 10. (Jantjies for one is still on the market)
Is it? Or do we have an issue with people not being able to sell others on the benefits of going to Ulster, like we suspects we have an issue with not selling people on the benefits of helping Ulster?
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Columbo wrote:
promsandwich wrote:Always had my suspicions that the 'Leinster get want they want' line was something to do with a big chip on our shoulders about how badly Kiss was doing, Ruan having to leave and the general downward spiral at Ulster. However today I learnt a few things:

1. Jantjies had agreed to come but was blocked by IRFU.
2. UR were also in talks with two other tens - blocked by IRFU.
3. Ruan had agreed to come back to be back up 10, or play 15, or anywhere else but 9 ( except in case of emergencies ) - blocked by IRFU.
4. Leinster are allowed to sign Joe Tomane - an overseas player who is:

(a) Not top class;
(b) Clearly going to block the path of a number of talented players at Leinster;
(c) 'Replacing' Nacewa who it must be remembered was allowed to leave and come back to play in positions when he was clearly blocking the path of a number of young IQ players and had already exceeded the time permitted to stay for overseas players.

Added to this must be the fact that Fardy was signed as a 2nd row, apparently, and played mostly in the back row for the ladies.

The obvious conclusions from above are as follows:

1. The IRFU are a shower of cnuts.
2. The IRFU do not apply their 'rules' about overseas players to the ladies.
3. The IRFU don't give a fcuk about Ulster.
4. We will have to survive on with the kids we have coming through.
5. I am happy with 4. above.

:red:

Also forget about Gibson-Park and Lowe :roll:
Yes it's frustrating to hear of us being knocked back on the out-half hunt, but my guess is this dates back to the period when the IRFU were pushing the Carberry/Byrne to Ulster plan. That hasn't panned out, not our fault. I still expect us to sign a good NIQ 10. (Jantjies for one is still on the market)

The only fly in the ointment is if they are now trying to push one of Munster's 10s up to us - to work through them: Bleyendaal is a sick note, also a bit flaky, Hanrahan isn't very good at 10, no harm to him - in fairness I'd be surprised if the IRFU tried to force the issue with one of them, and I think we would push back. Johnston is a genuine up and coming talent, and is probably the mid-term answer for Munster at 10 - I think Munster would (rightly) throw up on him being asked to consider a move, and I don't think the IRFU would push that. That leaves Keatley, who would be a decent signing - but given the issues with Bleyendaal/Hanrahan, I can imagine Munster wanting to hold onto him for at least another season. I think though this is the most likely move if one takes place at all..

Interesting that if they're talking to any of the Munster 10s at all, they're doing it very low profile - they have learnt their lesson about trying to flex their muscles from the Carberry debacle..
Sorry but there will be no NIQ 10.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Keats would be a great fit. Get him up

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

promsandwich wrote:Sorry but there will be no NIQ 10.
how sure are you of that......?
..one more thing
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Columbo wrote:
It would be reasonably logical to assume it.

Is there anything to suggest a change in the IRFU position since our previous attempts were blocked?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We could do with an NIQ of some kind. Probably not allowed a centre now because of Leinster.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Columbo wrote:
It would be reasonably logical to assume it.

Is there anything to suggest a change in the IRFU position since our previous attempts were blocked?
Was it not blocked because Carbery said he would consider a move to Ulster? With that having gone by the wayside I would guess the IRFU would be more amenable to it, albeit will still try to talk a munster 10 to move. Think it was Schmidt who indicated ulster would be allowed to get someone.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote:We could do with an NIQ of some kind. Probably not allowed a centre now because of Leinster.
Given how late it is now to get someone, plus the likelihood that whiever would want a 2 year deal, i would be wary of signing a NIQ for next season, unless they were a) top quality or b)likely to acceot a one year deal.

Plenty of players will become available for next season post the rwc and given we are not going to rip up any tress next season, i would rather wait and give some young guns a chance than be desperate to fill the spot for next season.

I would take a more modest irish qualified player who could add some depth and experience if they were available, as we do lack depth.
Would also allow our new coach to decide whom he would like to target.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:
Dave wrote:We could do with an NIQ of some kind. Probably not allowed a centre now because of Leinster.
Given how late it is now to get someone, plus the likelihood that whiever would want a 2 year deal, i would be wary of signing a NIQ for next season, unless they were a) top quality or b)likely to acceot a one year deal.

Plenty of players will become available for next season post the rwc and given we are not going to rip up any tress next season, i would rather wait and give some young guns a chance than be desperate to fill the spot for next season.

I would take a more modest irish qualified player who could add some depth and experience if they were available, as we do lack depth.
Would also allow our new coach to decide whom he would like to target.
With Luke and Ludik out for a considerable amount of time I think we will have to sign someone. Hopefully of decent quality. We have plenty of forwards in the academy coming through but not as many outside backs.

Next season we will have Deysel and Hond out the door. Marcell will have to prove his fitness.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Deysel out the door?