Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Re: Replacement 10

Post by jackthelad »

On the evidence of the end of last season, McPhillips is a better player.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

FFS he has played 160 minutes of rugby in an Ulster shirt :lol: Has bakebook invaded the UAFC.

I've been content with what I've seen of Burns in his two opening games. Coming into a playmaking position is difficult, he hasn't played with his outside backs before, they haven't played wth him, he has joined a new club, new culture and new coaching team with a different way of thinking. He will be orchestrating a new game plan to that which he has played previously.

There's a misconception especially from the blow ins / uneducated (fair enough they're just there for a nights entertainment) that Burns is the finished article, he's still only 24 therefore I feel we will not see the best of him for another couple of years.

His only error of note from memory was missing touch to the corner after the Scarlets yellow when there was a real momentum shift on offer. He may not be always taking that step BECAUSE he is already playing flat, if you want him to take a few steps I think you'll need to advise him to stand further back. It may come as a shock but with playing 10 he will also be following a game plan. He has taken a couple of absolute hospital balls, been thumped to the ground, gotten up and dusted himself off. Hardy little bugger. He's what I call a 100%er, he always looks like he is giving his all.

I'm certainly pleased he's here over Joey Carbey, the idiotic Quade Cooper and any other name that was touted. For those with any doubt about Billy boys ability watch The Glaws away Challeng cup semi final win versus La Rochelle in France.

I'll wait until at least he has a season under his belt before I pass final judgement.

With playing Kings on Sunday and Cheetahs on Friday I'd be shocked if we did not see McPhillips and/or Curtis at 10 over the next couple of games.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

FFS give the boy a chance.

First things first, don’t do anything stupid and develop from there.

Remember the GP in the Heiny final, he was fûck awful?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The UAFC has spoken. He's dung.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Speak cor yourself and not the rest of us please!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

King Billy is the man to lead the attack
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Gerald the Mole wrote:King Billy is the man to lead the attack
I am prepared to call him Billy Boy until such time as he single handedly wins us a big game or three then elevate him to King status.. still bedding and thank feck we could get Cooper or Janties over the line..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

UlsterNo9 wrote:FFS he has played 160 minutes of rugby in an Ulster shirt :lol: Has bakebook invaded the UAFC.
I'm not looking for the finished article. I'm not looking for him to be Dan Carter.

I AM looking for him to not plant his feet long before receiving the ball and letting the defence start drifting off him before he even gets the pill!

As for the excuse that he has not played with these backs before - what do you think they do during the week? Push dumbbells around all day?

If you cannot see that as a problem, and think that just because possession wasn't lost on his pass that its not bad play, or even worthy of being called a mistake in itself, then I'm afraid this isn't a discussion worth having.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cockatrice wrote:
I am prepared to call him Billy Boy until such time as he single handedly wins us a big game or three then elevate him to King status.. still bedding and thank feck we could get Cooper or Janties over the line..
Imagine the outrage when Billy Boys gets song on the terrace

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Lealiifano was pretty flakey in his first few games last season. Billy has been more consistent at the same stage. Should probably keep FOBB in the cupboard until at least October :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:

I do find meself calling him Billy Boy. Seems to fit.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:

I do find meself calling him Billy Boy. Seems to fit.
Better than too fit

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:Lealiifano was pretty flakey in his first few games last season. Billy has been more consistent at the same stage. Should probably keep FOBB in the cupboard until at least October Image
Remember those banana kicks...
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This is all a healthy sign that nobody is willing to move on.

Day 149. Lest we move on.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Preach it brother Dave, preach it
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.