Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Replacement 10

Post by Dave »

Cornerfleg wrote:Good post Mt Humph On ... like Crouchie says the possibility of getting the likes of Ruan back to develop and cover is not worth thinking about cos them shower in La La Land wouldn't sanction it no matter how much sense it makes.

Jantjies is not nor should it be an option ... from reports in Safferland he can be a bit volatile and may not be the most stable addition to the squad - but more importantly I don't think he's good enough ... playing behind that Lions pack is an arm chair ride when Marx is fit. His kicking looks great at altitude ... but even our friend the racist could kick a wet brick 400 yards up there.

We may have to put up with Keatley as long as he doesn't get stroppy and demand game time.
With ORF's (our racist friend) wrists he could spin a brick to Zimbabwe from up there.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Not during the wet season ....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Let's say we wake up tomorrow and it's all been a bad dream - Paddy is 10 for next season.

How optimistic would we be?

The much maligned Les is now at LI.
Jono, an overweight mercenary with as much interest in being at Ulster as Joey Carbery, is flying back to NZ today with an early stopover in La Rochelle.
Jared, hugely respected with a great rugby brain, is taking care of 'D' with Dan the Man on his way.
A backline to include LL, CG and JS, Big Stu and Cave, and Coons
A pack including the likes of Rory, Hendy, Marty, Jordi, Jeany, Reidy , Timoney and er Marcely and, of course, Browney.
A plethora of kids coming through to provide both depth and a glimpse of the immediate future.
Rumours of Logan leaving
A 5 game unbeaten run
Great wifi and the comfort of knowing there's a designated area for your guide dog to take a dump if you suddenly go blind

We'd be counting down the days to the new season.

Alternatively, he could always try blacking up again and a fake passport - Patariki Jackson ought to work.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

GUBU wrote:
thecrouch wrote:Irish Times saying Carbery has rejected Ulster and is looking at Munster.

This may mean Keatley to Ulster. I actually think Keatley is a better signing for us than Carbery. At least we know McPhillips isn’t going to be forced to play second fiddle to him, at least we know the IRFU aren’t going to be insisting we make him first choice.

McPhillips as first choice, Keatley for the bench and the games against the dross opposition.
Have a bit of wit.

If Keatley is the one without a chair when the music stops, do you honestly think he'll obediently trot up to Belfast to play second fiddle to a player with a handful of starts? If I was him, I would be looking guarantees about being the starting choice as part of agreeing to be stitched up...and expect to get them.

The problem with Carberry for me was that we hadn't seen enough evidence to convince us that he was a credible option at 10 - the problem with Keatley is that we've seen more than enough evidence that he's at best a competent, but largely mediocre option.
No player, and i mean no player should be getting any guarantees of being first choice. If he does, i wouldn't want him in the squad. You earn it on the training pitch and match pitch, simple as that.

I've had a thought about Keatley. If he says yes to a 2 or 3 year deal, i think we should take him. Why? He's a decent player, he'll contribute to the squad over the the next few years. Is he good enough to play in the Super duper? Yes, but he's not a 10 who'll get you the cup. Does that matter to us because we're in a rebuild for the foreseeable future? If he can bring on the lads a bit, then great. But the one thing i don't want to see is the young lads surfing pine for more than they need. They need game time, and plenty of it. Additionally, he can play at centre too.

Wee Joey has missed the chance of his life. Playing 2 or 3 years behind our pack would make him a fully fledged 10, not the armchair ride he'll get at leinster when he gets a chance to play, that is. He'll be playing 15 by the looks of it and fancies himself as the anointed one after Kearney retires. Joey coming for one year wasn't going to work with UR. We need something more willing to come and stay a while to help rebuild the team. If Keatley is committed, maybe it is the way to go?

One thing is sure: if it is to be Keatley, we've been shortchanged by the FIRFU. We have not got a player of the same calibre as Paddy and consequently, we should be in credit when it comes to looking for a few robust uncompromising forwards. Our front five aren't good enough, and we need another flanker IMO.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

stickinout wrote:
GUBU wrote:
thecrouch wrote:Irish Times saying Carbery has rejected Ulster and is looking at Munster.

This may mean Keatley to Ulster. I actually think Keatley is a better signing for us than Carbery. At least we know McPhillips isn’t going to be forced to play second fiddle to him, at least we know the IRFU aren’t going to be insisting we make him first choice.

McPhillips as first choice, Keatley for the bench and the games against the dross opposition.
Have a bit of wit.

If Keatley is the one without a chair when the music stops, do you honestly think he'll obediently trot up to Belfast to play second fiddle to a player with a handful of starts? If I was him, I would be looking guarantees about being the starting choice as part of agreeing to be stitched up...and expect to get them.

The problem with Carberry for me was that we hadn't seen enough evidence to convince us that he was a credible option at 10 - the problem with Keatley is that we've seen more than enough evidence that he's at best a competent, but largely mediocre option.
No player, and i mean no player should be getting any guarantees of being first choice. If he does, i wouldn't want him in the squad. You earn it on the training pitch and match pitch, simple as that.

I've had a thought about Keatley. If he says yes to a 2 or 3 year deal, i think we should take him. Why? He's a decent player, he'll contribute to the squad over the the next few years. Is he good enough to play in the Super duper? Yes, but he's not a 10 who'll get you the cup. Does that matter to us because we're in a rebuild for the foreseeable future? If he can bring on the lads a bit, then great. But the one thing i don't want to see is the young lads surfing pine for more than they need. They need game time, and plenty of it. Additionally, he can play at centre too.

Wee Joey has missed the chance of his life. Playing 2 or 3 years behind our pack would make him a fully fledged 10, not the armchair ride he'll get at leinster when he gets a chance to play, that is. He'll be playing 15 by the looks of it and fancies himself as the anointed one after Kearney retires. Joey coming for one year wasn't going to work with UR. We need something more willing to come and stay a while to help rebuild the team. If Keatley is committed, maybe it is the way to go?

One thing is sure: if it is to be Keatley, we've been shortchanged by the FIRFU. We have not got a player of the same calibre as Paddy and consequently, we should be in credit when it comes to looking for a few robust uncompromising forwards. Our front five aren't good enough, and we need another flanker IMO.
Spot on stickinout.

And we are desperate for a loosehead. Given Ireland's riches in this area we should have relatively free reign.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

GUBU wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:
GUBU wrote:
thecrouch wrote:
GUBU wrote:
Have a bit of wit.

Keatley is in no position to start demanding any guarantees from the IRFU.
I wouldn't be so sure.

If he's being heaved over the side to accomodate Ireland's World Cup planning, he'll have some leverage if he agrees to leave to make way for Carberry. And the IRFU will have every incentive to soften his landing for him as part of any deal.

The real question here is why would anyone in their right mind in this neck of the woods would agree to an arrangement which is of no tangible benefit to Ulster.
Because we are Ulster, we do as we're told and take what we're given.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I assume that the IRFU could help us make the right decision for Irish rugby by denying us the opportunity to sign a credible alternative. Recent events suggest that this may indeed be the case.

But I hope that in those circumstances, someone would have the cojones to say that we would rather develop the career of one or two of our young players rather than offer the rugby equivalent of a retirement home for superannuated fly halves from other provinces.
If Nucifuhrer is not for turning on his out half fiasco, then we should leverage it with one or two top notch signings in the pack. Otherwise, FIRFU can f@ck off and we'll look after our own and hope for the best. This is why we need someone with smarts fighting our corner. The only problem with that scenario would be: any decent marquee forwards about before a World cup?
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Or what about another swap with Munster to even it up? Say Diesel for Tommy O'Donnell? :stir: :stir:
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

BR wrote:Is McPhilips staying or is this all just assumption?
Staying.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

thecrouch wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:
thecrouch wrote:
I am not sure going into the season with McPhillips, Curtis, Nelson and Lowry as our only options at 10 is really going to cut the mustard. We need somebody to tide us over, but it should be somebody who will complement McPhillips development, and not someone who would be picked ahead of him for any game of consequence.
Putting sentiment aside ... which is hard ... I see the return of St as a real golden opportunity ... esp if Cooney is away on tour and gets forced to rest at start of season.
Someone like that would be the perfect signing.

But it'll never happen.
If his name was Isa and he played for LR, you can bet your bottom dollar it would fecking happen. Ooops!, sorry , it already has happened.....
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:We need a back up 9 & 10. McPhillips shows potential. I don’t know enough about him, but Lowry is getting rave reviews from some on here. To help take a bit of pressure off these young lads, an experienced 10 is required. Keatley fits the bill of being experienced. He is more than capable of playing through the PRO14 season. He is not nor would be my 1st choice but neither would Jantjies.

In the current circumstances I’d settle for Keatley. He isn’t going to hold back the development of the 2 young lads & it will save of us wasting a NIQ on a non world class signing.

An element of pragmatism needs to be used by Bryn.

I concur with this but i think Bryn can use it as a leverage to get something for the pack. How will we get another 9 when we have shanananannanahan? Unless we can get someone who could cover 9 and 10.......... Can't think of anyone of the top of my head who could do that, knows our ways and loves to get stuck into a bag of Tayto........... I'm sure there's someone out there who could do the job.......
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

justinr73 wrote:Let's say we wake up tomorrow and it's all been a bad dream - Paddy is 10 for next season.

How optimistic would we be?

The much maligned Les is now at LI.
Jono, an overweight mercenary with as much interest in being at Ulster as Joey Carbery, is flying back to NZ today with an early stopover in La Rochelle.
Jared, hugely respected with a great rugby brain, is taking care of 'D' with Dan the Man on his way.
A backline to include LL, CG and JS, Big Stu and Cave, and Coons
A pack including the likes of Rory, Hendy, Marty, Jordi, Jeany, Reidy , Timoney and er Marcely and, of course, Browney.
A plethora of kids coming through to provide both depth and a glimpse of the immediate future.
Rumours of Logan leaving
A 5 game unbeaten run
Great wifi and the comfort of knowing there's a designated area for your guide dog to take a dump if you suddenly go blind

We'd be counting down the days to the new season.

Alternatively, he could always try blacking up again and a fake passport - Patariki Jackson ought to work.

Reading that makes me want to travel for a year or two and come back when we've a few sensible Ulster heads in for the long term, building up what has been knocked down by pr1cks......
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

stickinout wrote:
GUBU wrote:

Have a bit of wit.

Wee Joey may well see himself as the next Rob Kearney. At the moment, however, his aim is to avoid becoming the next Ian Madigan, and he appears to be succeeding; hence the growing evidence that his participation in Joe Schmidt’s World Cup Work Experience Programme will be time limited, that the door to a Leinster return will be left firmly ajar, and that he gets to choose where he goes. I suspect that guarantees aplenty have been sought, and offered, in the last few weeks.

Meanwhile, in this scenario, we could end up player who is effectively being sacrificed to facilitate a work placement. Forgive me if I sound underwhelmed. As a player, Keatley has never impressed me, and none of us would be entertaining his arrival in Belfast if the player cupboard wasn’t so bare. As you rightly say, much depends on the attitude the player himself takes if he comes here, but that in turn depends on what his expectations are. Nobody knows what Keatley makes of all this, but down south pundits are suggesting that the incentive for him move on will be two-fold – the compensation of a contract which extends beyond the current season he has left on his Munster deal (which wasn’t likely to be extended), and the understanding that he is walking into a squad where his only challenger for a starting berth is a player with a handful of senior appearances under his belt.

The cynic in me sees it this way: Leinster will, in due course, get something in return for letting Carberry leave for a year. Munster, in due course, will get something for taking him, and guaranteeing him starts at 10 for a season; as a bonus, they also get a player they may no longer want off their books a year early. We get that player, for longer than any arrangement his arrival here has facilitated.

Sorry, but that doesn’t strike me as a good bargain. I’d rather focus on improving the ride for McPhillips and another young player by bolstering our pack, and wait until the World Cup is behind us to look for an upgrade at 10 if that’s what we need.
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Keatley might be experienced but he’s still shyte.

Diack was experienced FFS.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

And not a thing to be done about it even though they feck up the Ireland squad by sacking Jackson and Olding. Now Ulster have to fix it. Unjust all round.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:Insty is where it all happens now ... as long as it's not Wassap we're ok.
What about Methody and.......Campbelly