The Run In - 8 Games to Go

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

The Run In - 8 Games to Go

Post by Neill_M »

So the gap between Ulster and Edinburgh is 3 points, who has the better remaining fixtures:

Of course there is the head to head between the 2 sides - Ulster play host in 3 weeks during the 6N, with the return game the week after Edinburgh's Challenge Cup QF. There are some common fixtures for the 2 of them:

Munster - Edinburgh have home advantage on the 1st weekend of March - so during the 6N. Ulster travel to Limerick in the last round of games when it could be a dead rubber with neither side able to improve their league position. It is also the week after the Heineken Semi Finals.

Glasgow - Ulster have home advantage on same weekend as Edinburgh host Munster. Edinburgh also have home advantage in the deciding leg of the 1872 Cup in the last round of games.

The final common team is the Scarlets. Ulster go to West Wales the week after the 1st Edinburgh game and will face a 2nd XV probably, Edinburgh host the Welsh side the week before the Euro SF when both could still be involved - team selection could be interesting.

Ulster's remaining games are at home to the Southern Kings and Ospreys and a trip to Cardiff. Edinburgh host Leinster in 3 weeks and must travel to Newport and Galway.

Making predictions about the remaining games is at best tricky, especially with team selections during the 6N etc - reckon the home side wins both games in the head to head - will depend on any BPs.

Can see Edinburgh winning maybe 3 of the other games (Dragons, Scarlets and one of Leinster/Munster). Connacht still fighting for Euro spot - hard game in Galway and Glasgow will be out to secure the 1872 cup.

Can see Ulster winning the 4 home games. Not so confident on the away games! Should be enough to finish 3rd hopefully :duck:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Run In - 8 Games to Go

Post by Dave »

We will qualify for a playoff that didn't exist last year. Les will claim it as an improvement. Contract extension.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dave wrote:We will qualify for a playoff that didn't exist last year. Les will claim it as an improvement. Contract extension.
The playoff is Plan B! Would likely be at home in said match (team with more points over the 21 matches, hosts).
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Proper tables
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:Image

Proper tables
Thank feck someone did that
Sexton was really hard to follow

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

I think the 3 point advantage at the moment, may well still be the difference after these games.
Ulster by the skin of their teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Edinburgh have 2 games in hand to play.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

BR wrote:Image

Proper tables
Very interesting. Only counting games played within the conference and excluding the inter-conference games so far. Except the Pro 14 count all games :D

The new system is not perfect for sure.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:Edinburgh have 2 games in hand to play.
No, they don't, all teams have played 13 matches.

Now there is probably a misconception abroad that we will face either Scaaaaaaalets or Mexico in the 2nd v 3rd playoffs (aka quarterfinals) this is not the case, 3rd in our conference plays 2nd in the other conference away.

I wish to assert with complete confidence that Ulster will finish 3rd or 4th in the weak section so will face the following situation:

Third: will ensure a playoff defeat in either Toemund or at Cheetahs, assuming Weegies win the strong section.

Fourth: will mean a play-off for the final SDC place against the fifth best team in the strong section given Cheetahs are not eligible.

That would currently give a game against Connacht at Spanners. The team with the greater number of match points has home advantage.

You're welcome.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I should have added that this will ensure Ulster have playoff rugby - give that man a new contract.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I hate confusing conferences
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Feb 9 Edinburgh v Leinster
Feb 9 Ulster v Southern Kings

Feb 16 Ulster v Edinburgh

Feb 23 Dragons v Edinburgh
Feb 24 Scarlets v Ulster

Mar 2 Edinburgh v Munster
Mar 2 Ulster v Glasgow

Mar 23-25 Cardiff v Ulster
Mar 23-25 Connacht v Edinburgh

Apr 6-8 Edinburgh v Ulster

Apr 13-15 Edinburgh v Scarlets
Apr 13-15 Ulster v Ospreys

Apr 27-29 Edinburgh v Glasgow
Apr 27-29 Munster v Ulster
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rooster wrote:Edinburgh have 2 games in hand to play.
No, they don't, all teams have played 13 matches.

Now there is probably a misconception abroad that we will face either Scaaaaaaalets or Mexico in the 2nd v 3rd playoffs (aka quarterfinals) this is not the case, 3rd in our conference plays 2nd in the other conference away.

I wish to assert with complete confidence that Ulster will finish 3rd or 4th in the weak section so will face the following situation:

Third: will ensure a playoff defeat in either Toemund or at Cheetahs, assuming Weegies win the strong section.

Fourth: will mean a play-off for the final SDC place against the fifth best team in the strong section given Cheetahs are not eligible.

That would currently give a game against Connacht at Spanners. The team with the greater number of match points has home advantage.

You're welcome.
Connacht for example of course could secure a place in the Heiny via the Challenge Cup and the Conference A slot for the playoff could slip to the 6th placed side (currently Ospreys).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Clarke taking control of Ospreys in the interim.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:I hate confusing conferences
Sorry - didn't mean to confuse.

As Neill points out - those tables are what it would be in a normal conference system without all the dicking about.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk