Who Really is to Blame

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Who Really is to Blame

Post by thecrouch »

Neil F wrote:Ulster were bridesmaids under McLaughlin when they lost to a much better Leinster side in a Heineken Cup Final.

Ulster were bridesmaids under Anscombe when they, narrowly, lost a Pro12 final that, probably, hinged on the bizarre decision by UR to let a "home" final be held at the home of the opposition at the #ourDS.

Under Kiss, Ulster haven't played knock-out rugby. Ulster are no longer bridesmaids. Right now, Ulster hasn't even been invited to the hen party.

Will jettisoning Kiss turn Ulster into serious contenders for silverware? Probably not. Might jettisoning him give Ulster a realistic chance of avoiding a 7/8 place playoff for meaningful European Rugby next season, in a league with eight Tom Kite teams (excluding Ulster) in it? Probably. Kiss won't solve any of Ulster's problems. Getting rid of him won't solve them all. It doesn't mean he, himself, isn't one of those problems.
I don't disagree with this. I think Kiss has blotted his copybook too much, with his bizarre selections and stupid substitutions, never mind our embarrassing defence. His position has become untenable barring some miraculous change of fortunes between now and the end of the season.

Replacing him won't fix Ulster though. There has to be more changes than just the head coach. An entire culture shift needs to happen, otherwise we'll end up where we are now under the next coach, and the one after that.

Where we are now isn't entirely Kiss's fault. The rot started years ago. Kiss inherited an academy that had absolutely nothing worthwhile to offer him up front. Past coaches, Humphreys, Logan, academy coaches, those who run the schools rugby etc are all to blame as well and should be feeling the heat.
Last edited by thecrouch on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

BR wrote:At this point it has to be about stopping the rot.
Exactly. :fleg:
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Correction Neil ... Ulster have been invited to at least 2 Hen parties so far this year ... where for a few bob they publically stripped buck naked for the crowd, wore L plates performed silly acts for a laugh and after the punters had their fun they were allowed to get dressed again and return home.

But Logie is delighted as we hit the jackpot selling naming rights to "Ulstergrams"!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

therealspratt wrote:Kiss is broadly useless but it does go deeper than him, the culture as a whole is off throughout the squad. You're dead on Crouchy.
It's the BS that is emanating from every single person at UR being interviewed.

Kiss: we are not far off Leinster
Malone: we change the centres every week because they get tired/injured
Peel: is the defence a problem? No.
Logan: world domination

Ulster has the best academy etc...(don't who said it)
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Cornerfleg wrote:Correction Neil ... Ulster have been invited to at least 2 Hen parties so far this year ... where for a few bob they publically stripped buck naked for the crowd, wore L plates performed silly acts for a laugh and after the punters had their fun they were allowed to get dressed again and return home.

But Logie is delighted as we hit the jackpot selling naming rights to "Ulstergrams"!
Never, ever, will the image of Rodney gyrating in a g-string leave my mind... On the plus side, at least Deccie Fitz isn't still on the books.
thecrouch wrote:I don't disagree with this. I think Kiss has blotted his copybook too much, with his bizarre selections and stupid substitutions. His position has become untenable barring some miraculous change of fortunes between now and the end of the season.

Replacing him won't fix Ulster though. There has to be more changes than just the head coach. An entire culture shift needs to happen, otherwise we'll end up where we are now under the next coach, and the one after that.
The question is about what one wants to achieve.

As BR said, part of it is about stopping the rot. If Kiss is maintained, I can't see this ending up any other way than the end of the McCall era, with the players that could be the backbone of a decent enough side heading off literally anywhere else. If that starts to happen, I don't see guys with a serious future in the game (Henderson and Stockdale in particular) hanging around for long. What happens now will could not just damage Ulster now but for years to come. There was a big gap, for example, between Tommy heading to Swansea and Pienaar and Muller arriving to change Ulster's fortunes.

The wider question is about the structures that have allowed this kind of rot to settle into Ulster twice in a decade. I agree, getting rid of Kiss won't do anything else here. But that isn't a good reason for holding onto Kiss. Rather, it is a good reason for fans not to let up once Kiss is out.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Here's the issue. Fans see a problem, and want a solution, they're hurt at the abject failure which is compounded by the patronising soundbites emanating from PR central...

The senior management don't see a problem, they see a difficult transition where they are seeing (somehow) incremental improvement, therefore the club is on the right flight path and the fans are a load of whingers.

The only disruptor with the cajones to call things out has been Fez, but he is not influential enough in UR. There is no-one willing to call things as they are, it reminds of the current situation in the White House ....not the department store in Portrush, rather the current residence of the grand cheesy wotsit in Washington.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Feck me, get you nonplussed ... you'll need a lie down now!!! :lol: ;)
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Cornerfleg wrote:Feck me, get you nonplussed ... you'll need a lie down now!!! :lol: ;)
I'm really not comfortable with a vaguely sensible post.. time for a lobotomy and membership of the URSC/Facebook UABB....
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Say 10 Hail Logies and 15 Ulster are Brills .... go in peace my son.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

From Bakebook central
If you're not prepared to Stand Up during the lows then you don't deserve to Stand Up for the highs
#SUFTUM
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Rooster wrote:From Bakebook central
If you're not prepared to Stand Up during the lows then you don't deserve to Stand Up for the highs
#SUFTUM
Most of the comments on that post are thankfully people telling him to work his head up his bangle.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Sounds to me like he's doing fine as a cranial proctologist without any assistance.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Sounds like it's all kicking off
Both online and at the Hill

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Russ wrote:Sounds like it's all kicking off