Who Really is to Blame

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Who Really is to Blame

Post by Cornerfleg »

Absolutely spot on Neil.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Logan has created extra layers of teflon that remove him from being held solely responsible and help point a collective finger elsewhere. If Logan is under fire than questions should be asked of the PRO Game Board and those that are members of it. For example apart from sponsoring a domestic club trophy how else does one get on it.. at least to start with.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

Getting on to the tram at Murrayfield after last years debacle one of the Ulster fans said to me "after that show Kiss will have to go". I thought it might have been a bit of a hasty reaction; but the more I see Kiss's team selections the more I realise his sentiments were correct. Kiss has to go.

Too frequently he ignores players when they had been playing well - Ludik last few months of last season.
He plays players out of position all the time.
He selects different combinations of players all the time where it seems as if they don't know what is expected of them.
Reidy was playing well last year and scoring a few tries - this year he has just missed a number of important tackles. Maybe he wasn't in the correct field position because of the 'stranger' playing alongside him - who knows?

Too many tackles missed. Too many knock-ons. Too much of a shambles.

Kiss has to go - and please take Logan with you.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Neil F wrote:...[sense]...
:thumleft:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Funnily enough, I know there had been musings on this forum before the Edinburgh game that Kiss needed to go. Edinburgh was the first time I thought there might be something to it because of that frankly bizarre interview Kiss gave before the game saying that Ulster hadn't targeted it as "must win". The performance that followed was, literally, the performance of a team who knew that. Given everything else that was going on at the time with Ulster's coaching staff, I chalked that down to a weird turn of phrase from Kiss. I started this season with some optimism. Right now, I'm probably more pessimistic about Ulster than I've ever been, even having suffered through the end of the McCall era and the entirety of Matt Williams' tenure.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Personally I prefer to think, get rid of the committees and have the IRFU take us in charge, sort out the mess and then gradually return control to the Ulster branch clubs.

If anyone competent reviews the organisation they will in short order conclude that there are too many layers, the CEO is a bluffer and the DoR is neither necessary or fit for purpose.

Sacking the DoR immediately will only have the effect of giving the CEO a bye on this occasion, and sacking the CEO will ensure the committees have a bye.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

BR wrote:
Neil F wrote:...[sense]...
:thumleft:
If that post of Neil's is casually dismissed as "noise" by Les ... then the question to this thread has been answered!!!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Very well written post Neil F, common sense and no bull.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:Very well written post Neil F, common sense and no bull.
I wish he'd go back to writing about buildings and transport and stuff

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

You say you don't doubt the players effort. I disagree, I doubt it. Are they giving 100% week in, week out? The performances suggest they are not. They lack the determination and the grit. Munster fans love to bleat on about pashun and pride, Ulster lack it in abundance.

I think there is a lack of ruthlessness, that absolute desire to win that you see in other provinces. We are mentally fragile. I think too many Ulster players think they've made it as soon as they're given their Ulster tracksuit and their free motor. There needs to be a shift in the mentality; that you're nothing until you've got the medals to show for it. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Whose job is it to fix these issues? It's Kiss's job. It is up to him to deliver the harsh message that our players require. Is he capable of doing that? I'm not sure. I suspect Kiss actually is a decent coach, after all he has shown it when he worked in D4, but he is the wrong man at the wrong time for Ulster. He's too nice.

At the same time, is replacing Kiss going to solve Ulster's problems? No way, the problems are way too deep. The players themselves need to address their attitude issues and think long and hard about themselves. Do they really want to be seen as the bunch of perennial losers that Ulster has become? The CEO needs to stop trying to turn Ulster into a wee night out for the middle class and realise that the rugby should be first and foremost. People turn up to Ravenhill for a laugh and they aren't overly bothered about the match itself. This leads to a general malaise about the place, the players feel they'll enjoy their semi-celebrity status no matter what's happening on the field.

The players also need to shut up talking to the press and do their talking on the pitch. I don't give a stuff if you are hurting after a previous defeat, I don't give a stuff if you are working harder than ever, I don't give a stuff if you are intensely focused on the next match. What you say and what you do are two different things. Rather than telling us this waffle show us. String together some good performances and show us that you're building towards something. Right now we don't look like we're building, we look like we're rubbish. The players should be embarrassed about that.

Also, the fact remains that Ulster just has too many substandard players. We end up relying on these players too often and it hurts us. The dysfunction of the academy has contributed to this. The amount of absolute dross foreign players we have signed in recent years is absolutely staggering. It's time to get a functioning academy that produces competent Ulster men to play for Ulster. Foreign players should be signed to complement what we have and bring it to the next level.

The committees that run Ulster Rugby need to take a long look at themselves. Are they really the right people to be giving input on professional rugby in Ulster?

And Ulster need to find ourselves an absolute bar steward of a head coach. Someone to light a fire under our squad, to cut the dross and instill some good old fashioned grit into our players. If you're too soft you get shown the door. Someone who won't make things seem nice and fluffy. Ulster are looking for their Michael Cheika who addressed Leinster's ladyboy problem.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Let Willie Anderson loose with a big stick.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Crouchie, you are wrong about Kiss. No names no pack drill but he recently apologised to a player for only giving him a few minutes of the game as a sub because he forgot.

He is incompetent.

If you are out of favour you are out, no names no pack drill, he recently spoke to one player about why he wasn't getting a game after several months of no communication.

He is incompetent.

I suspect I don't need to go on any further.

He is incompetent.

Capiche?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Whoever goes needs to take that twunt band with them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Polly puts the kettle on and tries a bit of devil's advocate after virtually nada in a couple of years. Welcome back P.

Players effort is quite rightly questionable. How can they play with aggression and intensity late in games to rescue points in some games, as we've witnessed this season and then give us nothing against Connaught and Leinster?
They can turn it on when they want to, but mostly it's Rugby by numbers.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Tender wrote:Polly puts the kettle on and tries a bit of devil's advocate after virtually nada in a couple of years. Welcome back P.

Players effort is quite rightly questionable. How can they play with aggression and intensity late in games to rescue points in some games, as we've witnessed this season and then give us nothing against Connaught and Leinster?
They can turn it on when they want to, but mostly it's Rugby by numbers.
Polly - prefix - 'multiple'.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk