Ulsterboys V The Munstermen

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulsterboys V The Munstermen

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Never doubted that Cave has a rugby brain not to sure about the try scoring kick for Gilroy . It was a grupper to the corner for position which bounced nicely for Gilroy to grab and twist over .

A wise kick because with only Gilroy wide neither we’re going to run the ball in past the cover defence .

Baggy as I said Munster never ran the ball wide outside the Ulster 22 spent the night kicking for position inside the Ulster 22 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh FFFS
kuntfarm.jpg
kuntfarm.jpg (9.22 KiB) Viewed 905 times
You really have no idea what you are watching, do you? Have a look at the first video on this then tell me again that Cave was kicking to the corner for position, you crazy wallaper.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/ulster-vs-mu ... hts-380449

Not even close to the corner.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Grilled Grupper with flaked almonds and garlic, served on a quinoa salad and a side of crow for Les Kiss.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I think Cave would have won Rum's respect if he had carefully threaded a quinoa salad through the Munster defence. But as it stands Cave made a kick rum had never heard of, despite years of thorough rugby expertise and he now obviously blames Dazza for him making a nonce of himself once again.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cornerfleg wrote:I think Cave would have won Rum's respect if he had carefully threaded a quinoa salad through the Munster defence. But as it stands Cave made a kick rum had never heard of, despite years of thorough rugby expertise and he now obviously blames Dazza for him making a nonce of himself once again.
He's not sure about that kick. It may turn out to be a bad idea yet.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Anyone think it's a tad ironic that iHumph who dodged tackles like the plague thought Arnold's smash on Lealiifano was fair game?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

I still watch rugby like a football supporter, which is to say that often I see what's happening without necessarily understanding why it has happened. Thus, in the first half, I could see that our scrum was getting murdered, but I didn't understand that it was because the props weren't doing their job. I could also see that we seemed to be a good bit better defensively last night, in that players weren't falling off tackles or allowing the opposition to waltz through our line unopposed. I'm happy to accept the view of most on here that a chunk of that difference was down to Cave's presence in the centre. I like what I see of the young lads that are coming through. Jones, Rea, Timoney and Little are all showing that they have what it takes to be Ulster regulars going forward. A very enjoyable second half. Certainly the cards made a difference, but we were looking a much improved side even before that.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I saw ihumph at the quins game wearing a pair of ugg boots.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Plenty of gallows humour in the corner of the East Terrace during the first half. The one crumb of comfort we took was that at least we'd get a good view of the action in the second forty.

How wrong we were.

Apart from the cricket in Leeds in '81, I can't think of a bigger swing!

Two things I was expecting to read about this evening after returning to Lionel-land were:

A) We only won because of Cave and the cards and
B) the wendyball-style baying for a red

Only half right.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

justinr73 wrote:Plenty of gallows humour in the corner of the East Terrace during the first half. The one crumb of comfort we took was that at least we'd get a good view of the action in the second forty.

How wrong we were.

Two things I was expecting to read about this evening after returning to Lionel-land were:

Only half right.
And the removal of two props at half time who were attempting to break the land speed record going backwards in scrums helped.
I take it you expected to read that.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:Plenty of gallows humour in the corner of the East Terrace during the first half. The one crumb of comfort we took was that at least we'd get a good view of the action in the second forty.

How wrong we were.

Only half right.
We wouldn't have won without Cave and the cards so yeah it's a good point.
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

Dave wrote:

How wrong we were.

Only half right.
We wouldn't have won without Cave and the cards so yeah it's a good point.
It may have been a level playing field with two props on from the start, irrespective of the cards.
Munster offered nothing in the backs, negate or match their forwards and the game was there for the taking.
All hypothetically speaking of courseImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Liz Fraser wrote:

How wrong we were.

Only half right.
And the removal of two props at half time who were attempting to break the land speed record going backwards in scrums helped.
I expected it to be vying for reason for winning number 3 (alongside Les' stirring half-time team talk).

Rodney’s injury came at a very bad time for him. The exit door surely beckons. If he can fit through it.

I can't say that my heart leapt as I saw WH and CB trotting out.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:
Liz Fraser wrote:

How wrong we were.

Only half right.
I expected it to be vying for reason for winning number 3 (alongside Les' stirring half-time team talk).

Rodney’s injury came at a very bad time for him. The exit door surely beckons. If he can fit through it.

I can't say that my heart leapt as I saw WH and CB trotting out.
Lionel, it appears that like Ron'n, you may see a lot of rugby but you don't actually watch much. That's ok, spectators are welcome to their tuppence worth even when it's not worth a tuppennyfu@k.

Rodders the Pieman makes Herbst look like a world class TH & not once this season has Black been to blame for a scrum being demolished. Indeed he has been superb, within his limitations.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well be that as it may, but a bonus point win would have looked some distance away had Moody and Furlong joined the fray for us in the second half.

It was incredible turnaround and, as you've said, one to be savoured (if only in isolation).
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Points of note:

I thought CL was heroic last night, he was absolutely crunched my hits from Munster, several late, he was never going off and I think that was his best performance, FFFS he even managed a few superb line kicks.

Not just the try saver but I think McCluskey was as good in defence as I have ever seen him, wonder did his partner help that, eh? Waddya think.

Gilroy, I know we tend not to overpraise him, but I like him, especially when he has Cave to position him >EW , he showed a great bit of fight last night & took two tries really well.

Lyttle, the lad is a real threat and seems to have a good brain on him, his little kick that put Zebo in trouble was a peach and he too was never found wanting when there was a ruck to be cleared, the entire backline did more of that than we've seen all year and as a result, there was a lot of quick ball for Cooney in the 2nd half.

Cooney has simply been a revelation, the treatment of Pienaar remains a disgrace, the impact is much less than we had feared/expected. Says an awful lot for Cooney and I do fear it won't be long before Uncle Joe comes calling, he's not Murray but he is streets ahead of the rest on current form.

Like others I think Charless is no fullback, he makes almost no try-saving tackles ever, but he fought hard to and most times put some pace in the attack. I just wish he would stop doing a Bob so often, shilly-shallying about, then picking someone to run into & lose the ball.

Last but not least, Cave, same old Cave, doing everything right, making the right calls and doing the organisation, shouting the odds to keep the outside backs & McCloskey in position, a wee peach of a try skinning a man & then outpacing 3 or 4 (clearly they must have been walking, eh :roll: ) then his wee deft kick which I must confess at the time I thought WTF, because I hadn't seen Gilroy ..... a bit like the Munster defence. I lost count of the number of rucks he cleared, he was quickest to Zebo after Charless's raker in behind him. Will Kiss understand that he chanced upon the best outside centre in his squad? I'll not put money on it but that was Cave at his best & that is good enough for this team.

The forwards were devoured in the first half, utterly destroyed, take out 3 men who hadn't played for 2 months and all changed, I thought O'Connor was good throughout, Timoney looks a player to me & Jones both in the lineout and around the pitch was good & Matty Rea was outstanding. Herring got his game together after halftime. Within his limitations Black has been outstanding this season, even his handling and work rate were right up there and without him, our LH is a shambles, The Canned Hunter also did well.

So LOOK ...........were are not brill, not close to brill and were playing a team we absolutely should have beaten, but when guys actually show the fight, the desire and the character to come back from the dead .........that's brill, proper brill. That is more important than going out and routing Munster seconds from the off, bound to bring a lot of confidence to a team so apparently lacking in it ...........just as long as the head clown doesn't fu@k up selection as usual.

I loved that second half, the cards were decisive but is anyone saying they didn't come from pressure and weren't deserved? Wee Sammy laid out Leali'ifano twice in a minute with high hits, he was a red every day of the week. When the players so obviously still have the will & fight in them, there is hope. That I suspect has little to do with FOLK.

My brother said to me a couple of weeks back, nobody seems to be able to just enjoy a win anymore. I think that has a lot of truth in it, so I just enjoyed that 2nd half & win last night, immensely. :thumleft:

Agree with all of that Baggy- after the first half that turn around was a big surprise and highly enjoyable- to see the fight and will in the team to come back was fantastic. On the bolded bit I'm thinking the fight comes from Jonno - Cooney mentioned something along those lines in his post match interview [hopefully the Jonno effect will continue to take hold going forward..]. I was very impressed with our young back row - Mattie Rea really added energy when he came on- hopefully he continues to get opportunities and kick on and Cave once again showed his class.