Last KISSMAS

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Last KISSMAS

Post by Dharper »

With this 2 conference set up where do we have to finish to qualify for Europe? What are people’s opinions on at what point D4//UR would bite the bullet and remove LK?....lose next 4 games, look like possibly not qualifying for Europe, end of season come what may, stick by him?
Finally and this is genuinely confusing me. Why did jonno Gibbes join UR, what was he promised?

Sorry lads can’t “make a post”hence this.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

My fear re: Jonno is that he took the job under false pretences. The next logical step for him was to become a head coach. He was Leinster and then Clermont's forwards coach, he did not come here to become our forwards coach. That is a step backwards in his career. My fear is that Logie and Kiss gave him the full radars, systems and processes speech. Promised him the earth and have given him sweet FA. He's probably thinking WTF is he doing here. Working under a man with the rugby brain of a squirrel.

When we played Clermont last season, Jonno bemoaned their lack of linespeed in defence. I've no doubt that he will have major philosophical differences between himself and the former rugby league winger. I just hope that Jonno remains and Les does the decent thing...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Vanhelsing
Novice

Post by Vanhelsing »

Dave everyone who has played for ulster has come under false pretence bring the young players on for next 2 seasons and and see if the new ulster can preform to our high expectations
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Last KISSMAS

Post by Neill_M »

Dharper wrote:With this 2 conference set up where do we have to finish to qualify for Europe? What are people’s opinions on at what point D4//UR would bite the bullet and remove LK?....lose next 4 games, look like possibly not qualifying for Europe, end of season come what may, stick by him?
Finally and this is genuinely confusing me. Why did jonno Gibbes join UR, what was he promised?

Sorry lads can’t “make a post”hence this.
Top 3 in each conference make Heineken Cup next season + there is a playoff between the 4th ranked sides in each conference for the final spot.

The 4th ranked side with the higher no of points gets home advantage - would be Edinburgh v Cardiff right now. In Conference A, the Cheetahs are sitting 3rd but can’t currently enter the Heineken Cup so Connacht are in the last automatic spot in Conf A.
Last edited by Neill_M on Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

If Ulster beat Munster/make the Euro QF, reckon LK will survive till the season end.

If they lose the 2 derbies and fail to make the QF, Adios Les.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Dave wrote:My fear re: Jonno is that he took the job under false pretences. The next logical step for him was to become a head coach. He was Leinster and then Clermont's forwards coach, he did not come here to become our forwards coach. That is a step backwards in his career. My fear is that Logie and Kiss gave him the full radars, systems and processes speech. Promised him the earth and have given him sweet FA. He's probably thinking WTF is he doing here. Working under a man with the rugby brain of a squirrel.

When we played Clermont last season, Jonno bemoaned their lack of linespeed in defence. I've no doubt that he will have major philosophical differences between himself and the former rugby league winger. I just hope that Jonno remains and Les does the decent thing...
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

therealspratt wrote:
Dave wrote:My fear re: Jonno is that he took the job under false pretences. The next logical step for him was to become a head coach. He was Leinster and then Clermont's forwards coach, he did not come here to become our forwards coach. That is a step backwards in his career. My fear is that Logie and Kiss gave him the full radars, systems and processes speech. Promised him the earth and have given him sweet FA. He's probably thinking WTF is he doing here. Working under a man with the rugby brain of a squirrel.

Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Jonno Gibbes move doesn’t make sense to me....this guy seems switched on, so I just don’t get it.

He has been at Leinster, and clermont both light yrs ahead of UR in terms of players whether Home produced or bought....certainly as a forwards man, what he is currently working with is total brad pitt compared with what he has had previously. Did he not do due diligence?.....this guy doesn’t do career mistakes like this. JG is happy to be a simple “forwards coach” coaching a very poor collection of players for less money than in FR....really?

Either he has been bullshitted too about his role/sphere of influence and he’ll feck off....and who could blame him.

He has been promised the main gig, when LK is told to leave as everyone knew after the last 2 seasons he is out of his depth....and I can’t see JG waiting too long for that.

....or he is going to be Ireland’s new forwards coach, but he has to do a season at Ulster first.

I’m hoping he has been promised the main gig. There is no feck way that man is going to put up with being associated with this brad pitt storm without the carte Blanche to put it all right and call the shots. We are all thinking wtf when LK opens his mouth, god only knows what JG is thinking!
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Dave wrote:
therealspratt wrote:

Ach the names of our coaching roles are about as meaningless as they come. Gibbes I understand has prior form for turning down a very decent head coach position to stay as forwards coach, and from what I hear he electively keeps himself to our forwards. It's what has me sceptical about calls for him to just take over the whole show.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

therealspratt wrote:
Dave wrote:
therealspratt wrote:

Ach the names of our coaching roles are about as meaningless as they come. Gibbes I understand has prior form for turning down a very decent head coach position to stay as forwards coach, and from what I hear he electively keeps himself to our forwards. It's what has me sceptical about calls for him to just take over the whole show.
Sauce?
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Dave wrote:
therealspratt wrote: Ach the names of our coaching roles are about as meaningless as they come. Gibbes I understand has prior form for turning down a very decent head coach position to stay as forwards coach, and from what I hear he electively keeps himself to our forwards. It's what has me sceptical about calls for him to just take over the whole show.
Sauce?
Early November on another thread
breakdown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:I wondered when someone would get round to Dwayne Peel. First off let me say I consider Dwayne and appalling name, on a par with Robin but I digress.

I happen to think that I have seen some excellent back play this season and a deal more confidence & timing in the passing. The dusky chappie in the woodpile is handling. I marvelled watching an AIL game on Saturday that handling was infinitely better than at Spanners, but of course, it has to be said the game is slower and the time ball carriers & recipients have is that bit longer.

In Peel's favour, I have definitely noticed greater continuity & support amongst the backs in attack.

The thing that we will never know unless we have someone in attendance regularly at training is who is doing what. Is Folk running defence with the backs, what & where are the crossovers with Peel? Perhaps one for the boys, if they attend much training, Adam, can you actually identify who does what amongst the coaches in day to day training? Are the roles obvious in sessions or does it work by "brains trust"?

Jizzer: enjoyed that article, Greenwood is always worth a read. I also like Dave's idea of stapling it to FOLK's face.
I know a few people round coaching circles in Ulster and Peel is allegedly very popular with the whole squad

As for who does what, Gibbes deals exclusively with the forwards, or so i've been told, apparently barely talks to the backs at all. From that I would assume Dundon is then exclusively scrum coach then and Peel only works with the backs
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

The DOR title can mean a myriad of things as we have even seen from Humps and Kiss, who seem to have very dufferent approaches to what the role entails.

As with any management structure it should be clear as to who has responsibility for what and indeed if we are to have a DOR, what is his (or her!) role to be and does this cause any conflicts.

If we get rid of Kiss then we should be reviewing the whole structure before determining whether to replace him with a DOR.

Let’s not forget that for all the kudos Gibbes may have, he is unproven as a Head Coach which is a big step up from assistant (just ask Mark McCall) or forwards coach. I can see very little improvement in our forwards compared to Clarke’s tenure so I think Jonno has his work cut out there already and we need to be careful about over burdening him.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

breakdown wrote:
Dave wrote:
therealspratt wrote: Ach the names of our coaching roles are about as meaningless as they come. Gibbes I understand has prior form for turning down a very decent head coach position to stay as forwards coach, and from what I hear he electively keeps himself to our forwards. It's what has me sceptical about calls for him to just take over the whole show.
Sauce?
Early November on another thread
breakdown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:I wondered when someone would get round to Dwayne Peel. First off let me say I consider Dwayne and appalling name, on a par with Robin but I digress.

I happen to think that I have seen some excellent back play this season and a deal more confidence & timing in the passing. The dusky chappie in the woodpile is handling. I marvelled watching an AIL game on Saturday that handling was infinitely better than at Spanners, but of course, it has to be said the game is slower and the time ball carriers & recipients have is that bit longer.

In Peel's favour, I have definitely noticed greater continuity & support amongst the backs in attack.

The thing that we will never know unless we have someone in attendance regularly at training is who is doing what. Is Folk running defence with the backs, what & where are the crossovers with Peel? Perhaps one for the boys, if they attend much training, Adam, can you actually identify who does what amongst the coaches in day to day training? Are the roles obvious in sessions or does it work by "brains trust"?

Jizzer: enjoyed that article, Greenwood is always worth a read. I also like Dave's idea of stapling it to FOLK's face.
I know a few people round coaching circles in Ulster and Peel is allegedly very popular with the whole squad

As for who does what, Gibbes deals exclusively with the forwards, or so I've been told, apparently barely talks to the backs at all. From that, I would assume Dundon is then exclusively scrum coach then and Peel only works with the backs
Cheers for that BD, that leaves the question unanswered that we all wondered.........what does Kiss do? I seem to recall him saying he would be much more involved with coaching. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jonno Gibbes' official title is head coach. We all know he isn't performing that role. My question is how does he feel about this and was this made clear when he took up the role?
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

If rumour is believed he was given the title “head coach” to get him out of his Clermont contract, whether he genuinely thought that’s what he was going to do is another question

As for your question Baggy i’ve caught snippets of Kiss’ role from various people around the place, though how true it is I don’t know. The one A game i went to in the past while I seen him at so I not sure if he’s a regular at those. Anyway, from what I understand is that he has some role in player negotiation but most of that is down to Bryn, in terms of coaching the final say in tactics/selection is down to him, which I don’t get, as being an “overall coach” who doesnt seemingly work with any one group of players (forwards/backs) how he knows who is best at what

Take the above with a pinch of salt, don’t shoot the messenger etc but what I know (and most of the board know) is that he is an attrocious man manager and communicator. He’s not the most popular man from those i’ve spoken to. Again not sure of the credibility of it but apparently his previous coaching team was quite glad to get rid of him, take of that what you will
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg