Connacht v Ulster Sat 23rd Dec 7:35pm KO BBC2/TG4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Connacht v Ulster Sat 23rd Dec 7:35pm KO BBC2/TG4

Post by Rooster »

Bart S wrote:So what do people make of Darren’s comments? Has he been bought off with the promise of more gametime? :stir

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 35581.html
Perhaps a few individuals didn't stick to the game plan early on
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooster wrote:
Bart S wrote:So what do people make of Darren’s comments? Has he been bought off with the promise of more gametime? :stir

You mean Clive Ross for example...
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

"We'll go through the process and make sure we get the right lessons from it."
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Bart S wrote:
Rooster wrote:

You mean Clive Ross for example...
You would need to know the game plan before you could make assumptions on who was guilty
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Defence though is their biggest problem and the so called defence guru has not sorted it out for whatever reason
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I would love to know why Barakat left as our defence and attack had both started to function pretty well until the time he was announced as going.
Rory Best
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Rooster wrote:I would love to know why Barakat left as our defence and attack had both started to function pretty well until the time he was announced as going.
Simple, he knew it was a bullshit setup with Clarke and Doak
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
justinr73 wrote:Ulster fans aren't any different to any other set of fans.

I wonder how many have turned up to watch North End since we were last at football's top table in 1961?

I reckon I've been to 96 different grounds to follow the lads but I would have quite fancied a world class player to have turned out for us for a couple of years.
Tom Finney?
Archie Gemmill?

A few players of yours did rather better at managing than playing if IIRC?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think most if not all of these played for PNE at some stage:
Bill Shankly?
Frank O'Farrel?
Howard Kendall?
Tommy Doherty?

Didn't Sir bobby manage them too, - a definite world class player .... unfortunately no longer playing and a pretty crap manager by the time he went to Deepdale.

BTW, I offer no apologies for keeping this off topic. The real topic needs to be wiped from the memory of every Ulster supporter, and remembered only by those involved as a lesson never to be repeated.
All correct Cap'n.

Sir Tom retired the year we went down.

Sir Bobby played a bit but obviously well past his best by then by all accounts.

We had Beckham on loan for 5 games when he was still went behind his ears.

Produced the odd decent player such as Lawro, Alan Kelly Jnr and Kevin Kilbane who all ended up playing for Ireland.

It isn't CP that's the luxury, it's guaranteed top flight and European competition.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
justinr73 wrote:Ulster fans aren't any different to any other set of fans.

I wonder how many have turned up to watch North End since we were last at football's top table in 1961?

I reckon I've been to 96 different grounds to follow the lads but I would have quite fancied a world class player to have turned out for us for a couple of years.
Tom Finney?
Archie Gemmill?

A few players of yours did rather better at managing than playing if IIRC?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think most if not all of these played for PNE at some stage:
Bill Shankly?
Frank O'Farrel?
Howard Kendall?
Tommy Doherty?

Didn't Sir bobby manage them too, - a definite world class player .... unfortunately no longer playing and a pretty crap manager by the time he went to Deepdale.

BTW, I offer no apologies for keeping this off topic. The real topic needs to be wiped from the memory of every Ulster supporter, and remembered only by those involved as a lesson never to be repeated.
All correct Cap'n.

Sir Tom retired the year we went down.

Sir Bobby played a bit but obviously well past his best by then by all accounts.

We had Beckham on loan for 5 games when he was still went behind his ears.

Produced the odd decent player such as Lawro, Alan Kelly Jnr and Kevin Kilbane who all ended up playing for Ireland.

It isn't CP that's the luxury, it's guaranteed top flight and European competition.
Didn't know Sir Bobby played for yousuns, my memory was that he only (mis)managed. :oops:

Was also unaware of Becks and the Irish boys .... should have used Wiki and I might have produced a more comprehensive list. :stir:

PNE have a proud history - the problem being that it is mostly just that ... (past) history!

Now, are we still discussing that debacle last Saturday night? :banghead:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

The debacle on Saturday was always gonna happen. The press article is only reiterating what we’ve been saying all season.
Mr Kiss hopes our next performance will be ‘A little better’! Holygoodmotheroffeck, shoot for the stars there Les.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Furthermore, folk (not FOLK) should realise that FOLK is attempting to pass that off as the worst performance during his time, an aberration, something from which to move on from.

We know differently, of course, it was one of many cataclysmic shambles, certainly no worse as a performance than Embra last season. The truth is that it was a commonly horrendous performance with only the quality of opposition determining the depth of the loss.

Indeed some of our wins have not been that much of a step up from the performance aspect.

It is more honest and realistic to say it was entirely in keeping with a welter of poor performances and that what is more out of keeping is a couple of decent performances this season. The way Ulster has played meant that a good kicking on the scoreboard was inevitable.

When looking for answers ask the obvious question, why are we conceding more tries than ever before? Take it from there.

In the league last year we conceded a "personal worst" 47 tries in 22 games, our worst ever. After 11 games we have conceded 34, I'd guess that after 13 games we could well be at or over the 40 mark.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Tender wrote:The debacle on Saturday was always gonna happen. The press article is only reiterating what we’ve been saying all season.
Mr Kiss hopes our next performance will be ‘A little better’! Holygoodmotheroffeck, shoot for the stars there Les.
Yes exactly it was plain to see that we had a hammering coming. Take for example the performance against Quinns at home. A certain photographer came on here saying 'can you not just be happy with the win?'

Well no, because defend like that against a decent side and you will get humped.

FOLK
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Tender wrote:The debacle on Saturday was always gonna happen. The press article is only reiterating what we’ve been saying all season.
Yes exactly it was plain to see that we had a hammering coming. Take for example the performance against Quinns at home. A certain photographer came on here saying 'can you not just be happy with the win?'

Well no, because defend like that against a decent side and you will get humped.

FOLK
UR jobs for the boys.
Wonder if other photographers are allowed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The plan apparently was not to kick the ball away to Connacht was that is where they create mayhem, reasonable plan except Stockcube and Louis did so twice in the first handful of minutes and Ulster were 12-0 down and good night Irene.

Is that why we lost is another question, but no they didn’t follow FOLK’s orders.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Inspector Brown
Novice

Post by Inspector Brown »

Rooster wrote:I would love to know why Barakat left as our defence and attack had both started to function pretty well until the time he was announced as going.
Barakat hated the confrontational culture of the coaching team, or so I was told.