Ulster v Hairyqueens

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

truthandjusticedotcom
Novice

Re: Ulster v Hairyqueens

Post by truthandjusticedotcom »

scrum5 wrote:
Inspector Brown wrote:Needless to say, far too many missed tackles and set pieces are both an issue.

Damn our backs can play some rugby.

I overheard a consultant orthopedic seer declaring that CP has done his ACL. So that's him done then.
On replay it doesn't look good....
Looked more like a dead leg to me, but it was clearly painful.
At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

scrum5 wrote:
Inspector Brown wrote:Needless to say, far too many missed tackles and set pieces are both an issue.

I overheard a consultant orthopedic seer declaring that CP has done his ACL. So that's him done then.
At least Payne is back

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

truthandjusticedotcom wrote:
scrum5 wrote:

Looked more like a dead leg to me, but it was clearly painful.
on replay they were checking the stabilty of the knee but yet again instead of taking him off they let him go into contact again aggravating the injury, even though AT was on the bench
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Russ wrote:
scrum5 wrote:

At least Payne is back

well, back carrying water anyway
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
scrum5 wrote:

At least Payne is back

Soon ......................................ish, 1 or 2 weeks before the 6Ns, take that to the bank.

Amusingly Kiss told a player before the away game that he was putting Girrid straight in for 40 minutes. OK say s player, then 5 minutes later meets Girrid and says, glad to see you are back playing. "Not me mate, I'm about a month away".

GOSPEL.

The DOR who doesn't even know what players are available for selection. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kiss.jpg
Kiss.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 467 times
How then do we expect him to actually be any good at his speciality, preventing try after try being scored by awful teams?

CURRENT SEASON TRY CONCEDED COUNT:

GAMES PLAYED: 14 TRIES CONCEDED: 38

LAST SEASON

GAMES PLAYED: 28 TRIES CONCEDED: 66

Well done FOLK well ahead of schedule for another fruitless shambles of a season, 5 tries ahead of schedule.

The players - and a kind fixture list - have saved his bacon, how would the class be feeling about FOLK, if we had not scraped away from 3 defeats to the mighty Kings, Treviso & Dragons to rescue 2 wins and a draw?

Five successive games against rubbish, let's see how we do in the next 5:

Connacht away
Munster home
Leinster away
Stade Rochelais home
Wasps away

:duh: :duh: :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Initially it looked like Charlie took contact on his upper shin, and I suppose that could have driven his lower leg back and torn an ACL. He left in a boot but looked in good form and was walking freely. He earned himself a break from travelling to the Wild West at least.

If a consultant orthopaedic surgeon said it though, he was probably drunk and will also be sending everyone a bill for his opinion.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

leaking trys is a consequence of playing the game where the forwards and centres are considered to be numberless . It is a successful approach in Rugby league BUT Rugby Union is not Rugby League the breakdown is different .

Ulster's problem is that the back row is playing on the fringes of the ruck instead of assisting the midfield . This results in a narrow defence and leaves space wide and the opposition only have to get the ball wide quickly to exploit it .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

A word in defence of Les Kiss.
He has got you to nearly halfway in the season and you are still in strong contention in Europe. You have some good young players coming through. You have Best and Payne to come back in. Stockdale has really come of age.
The glass is half full, not half empty.

At the risk of committing heresy on this forum, the great Pienaar is not nearly as missed as you expected. Cooney has been a revelation and is one of your best players.
It could be said that Ruan was a diminishing asset whereas Cooney is only coming into his prime, and he has international prospects.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kiss and Cave beung discussed om reddit
It's gone global

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:A word in defence of Les Kiss.
He has got you to nearly halfway in the season and you are still in strong contention in Europe. You have some good young players coming through. You have Best and Payne to come back in. Stockdale has really come of age.

At the risk of committing heresy on this forum, the great Pienaar is not nearly as missed as you expected. Cooney has been a revelation and is one of your best players.
It could be said that Ruan was a diminishing asset whereas Cooney is only coming into his prime, and he has international prospects.
Guff

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:leaking trys is a consequence of playing the game where the forwards and centres are considered to be numberless . It is a successful approach in Rugby league BUT Rugby Union is not Rugby League the breakdown is different .

Ulster's problem is that the back row is playing on the fringes of the ruck instead of assisting the midfield . This results in a narrow defence and leaves space wide and the opposition only have to get the ball wide quickly to exploit it .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Thanks for that Ron.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:Feel a sense of perspective is needed

Yes we shipped 24 points but when you consider 2 of those tries came from 1) an intercept which led to massive space and 2) our last line of defense was down getting treatment

I dont think the drift defence is maybe as porous as you think. When used properly it can be seen to be effective and to use it properly there needs to be guys with pace drifting so if an outside break is made the sweeper or the last drifters have the pace to catch up. That’s when using Trimble and Bowe exposes the system as they may have the brain but dont have the pace to catch anyone making a break. Example, when Trimble and Nelson came on there was a massive amount of space for Quins to run in to, and they made some space because a) Trimble wasnt in position and had to sprint to make up the gap. So as I say, if used properly, it can be effective

Also consider Ludik was at 13 where he has publicly stated he doesnt really like playing in the 13 channel

The point about the missed tackles is a worry but I dont think that’s the drift defences fault but it falls to poor coaching from Les and Jono as defence and forwards coach
We have big lads drifting out wide and it's too easy to step inside. Hendo got done by Larmour against Leinster in this way. The drift was good 10 years ago but it has been figured out. All the top teams use the rush defence. Google some articles on Paul Gustard, he's knows his stuff. Les is clueless.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dublin4 wrote:A word in defence of Les Kiss.

In reference to Kiss, the "Third Rule of Holes" applies D4.

To wit:

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

So unless you have seen all 14 matches and understood that the performance has been woeful in at least 10 of them, including last night, then yer flapping bake should remain schtum. >EW

To address your point about Cooney, yes he has been a very pleasant surprise, I'm well pleased with him. He is not Ruan Pienaar however but then few are. What he does that that improves on Ruan are his pace and his defence, he has a more potent break.

Against that he doesn't have Pienaar's vision, he is often seen Meerkating at a breakdown rather than Pienaar assessing things prior to or as he arrived, usually exactly at the optimum time, he was uncanny with his anticipation of what would happen & where to be.

None of that decries Cooney, I'm delighted with him.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Kiss and Cave beung discussed om reddit
It's gone global

Russ, is "Om Reddit" latin perchance?

What the living feck are you on about?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Our defence was nothing to do with being 'light' on numbers outwide, most of the time the Quins just went through the middle, at will.

Stockdale is going to be better than Bowe, this fella is a star. Some of his passes last night were quality, better on defence than Bowe, faster, bigger etc. Still only 21. Tommy and Trimble never really come of age until their mid 20-s or later, and Jacob is already putting the fear into opposition defenses.