Ulster v Hairyqueens

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Hairyqueens

Post by rumncoke »

A few comments on 42 identify a weakness round the fringe of the ruck the simple reason is the tendency of Henderson and Henry to try and rip the ball from the carrier rather getting the player to ground.

Watching Leinster yesterday the player coming round the ruck was getting tackled round the legs and held at the ankles in the second half.

If you try to go high the ball carrier will either hand (forearm) you off or twist out of the tackle like Roberts . The player coming round the ruck head down ball in two hands is the one to get on his back because he wants to go to ground and recycle the ball carrier on a run is normally more upright and he's the one to get by the ankles.

While breaks round rucks make ground they seldom end in a try without a recycle going wide to a narrow defence. ( the exception to the rule is when it happens inside the 22 )
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

We should put them on a diet of raw Glenarm Shorthorn meat. Take away their phones and only allow black coffee.
Coach them to rip the ball and any offending appendages from the opposition. Let slip the dogs of war. Never mind putting manners into the opposition, put the fear of the gods into them.
Solid shoulders and keep getting up.
This coaching malarkey is a piece of p!ss
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Wise words rum. The Paul Gustard approach is to have two tacklers. One rushes up goes low and stops the player in his tracks. He either brings him down or stops him while the other player comes in to either put him down or prevent the offload or if down attempt the jackal/counter ruck.

With the passive drift and attempted choke tackle you just haemorrhage metres with every carry. This sucks in players and creates a narrow defence. Either there is plenty of space out wide or the opposition centres have a field day with the gaps that appear across the middle.

FOLK

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
muscles
Novice

Post by muscles »

Thanks Rooster. Much appreciated. It is no coincidence, I think, that Les is so incoherent & our defence is so disorganised. But even more significant is his worryingly edgy demeanour that must undermine any confidence the players have (had) in him.
muscles
Novice

Post by muscles »

Oops, thank you Merv for posting link to Kiss post match interview.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Wasps just beat La Rochelle and they didn't even get a LBP.

That result is a disaster from our point of view. Now La Rochelle need to win in Ravenhill, and Wasps will go and pump Harlequins in the next round.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

thecrouch wrote:Wasps just beat La Rochelle and they didn't even get a LBP.

That result is a disaster from our point of view. Now La Rochelle need to win in Ravenhill, and Wasps will go and pump Harlequins in the next round.
We really need Quins to do us a favour. They are at home to wasps and with a trip to La R the following week they are likely to play a stronger team against Wasps. They also won't lie down against them given the rivalry.

We COULD win one game out of the 2 but that may not be enough to even finish 2nd in the group.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

You now have the winning of the pool in your hands.
La Rochelle don't seem to travel well. If you can't beat them at home then you don't really deserve to progress.
It should be some occasion in Belfast.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: ... at least Dallaglio seems like a decent enough sort. You could pass an hour or two with him.
I can confirm.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:You now have the winning of the pool in your hands.
La Rochelle don't seem to travel well. If you can't beat them at home then you don't really deserve to progress.
It should be some occasion in Belfast.
You are as clueless as fergus

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

As things stand i don't think even 18 pts may be enough to guarantee a QF place. I can see Sarries, Bath/Toulon and potentially Montpellier reaching that total as runners up, given that Exeter and Glasgow are both effectively out.
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

La Rochelle will get 5 points at home to Harlequins giving them at least 20 points - they don't have to come to Belfast to win
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

twiglet wrote:La Rochelle will get 5 points at home to Harlequins giving them at least 20 points - they don't have to come to Belfast to win
They do if they want a home QF.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
big mervyn wrote: ... at least Dallaglio seems like a decent enough sort. You could pass an hour or two with him.
I can confirm.
Nah, I've no time for dimwits, I'd give him 10 minutes as a mark of respect for the player he was, then tell him I'm away to get my dinner, no matter what the time of day, he's so stupid he'd buy any old pony.

A mate of mine once spoke to Warren Gatland for 10 minutes (probably 2mins 3 secs) and said he was a right fella, we all know that can't be right, the man is an utter Warren Gatland.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.