Ulster v Dragoons

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Dragoons

Post by Cockatrice »

Dave wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:VDM = £150k well spent..
That's over two Brett Herrons
Brett will be worth every penny as he carries the province through to end of season glory..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Remember when FOLK changed the entire front row and our rythmn went to sh1te.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

And now they're all with child .
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Come on lads, it's not like Les is a defence coach

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Did no one once say Malone was now defence coach after Baracat jumped ship
One thing Kiss learnt from the CiC is how to spread the load and as such push the blame elsewhere. Each coach has his own responsibility and Les just seems to dip in and out to help when needed. Create levels that can be blamed a trick learnt from the CiC..

Kofi.. there will be some that will take offence at your suggestion that the CiC was a 2LT after all at last count he set two records in the army one of which can never be taken from him. I am advised he has the photo hanging on the wall of the men he led on that record breaking venture and that like Paddy Mayne the only thing missing is the VC.

We have a born leader in charge, a man that everything he touched in his business career turned to gold, a man with the Midas touch, a man who was responsible for getting Russia to drink Coca-Cola, a leader of men ... well I for one would like to see some form of leadership and soon.

Kiss is turning out to be a fraud just like the CiC.
I have heard it say, that he was the youngest ever to pass out of the Sandhurst in a hundred years,brave claim to make as you can't go to Sandhurst until you 18th Birthday. I suppose that's akin to me saying I was the youngest ever 4th former to play Medallion Schools Rugby I beat Sammy Wilson by one day, he was 4th April I was 3rd of April 1953. Sammy never forgive me for taking that title,Anyway it's nice for the CV.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: If your birthday was one day BEFORE Sammy's then he is younger and beat you by one day :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Baggy
off on a completely different tangent was the City Hotel or Melville Hotel still existing when you serve behind the counter in the walled City

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Ron’n the original City Hotel in Foyle St was gone by the time I arrived in 1978, The Melville I think was there but I was never in it,

Mrs Triusers said she had her first alcoholic drink in the City Hotel, the Melville was considered “posh” mainly because it was the first hotel in the city that had and outside drinking are with tables chairs and umbrellas, very continental dontcha know. :lol:

In those early days when Mrs T and I first stepped out, the best eats were to be had in the Counties Steakhouse on t’other side of the Guildhall from where the City Hotel was and for something upmarket we used regularly go across the bridge to the Everglades Hotel where we shared a Chateaubriand and an elegant array of less usual veg, in those days, like artichokes, even asparagus was all new fangled then.

Mr Armstrong had captured a good Maitre D from some snazzy place in London and brought him to me to look after in the bank, Martin Doherty who always looked after us royally. Later Martin went down to manage the Redcastle in Donegal and on winter Mondays myself and John McNulty - now expert tour guide in Derry - went down , played squash, had a sauna then up to a roaring fire in the bar for half a dozen stout, usually us, Martin and the barkeep so Martin would often join us for a couple or three.

Driving home was never an issue in those days and we waved goodnight to the squaddies at the softest of hard borders at Muff. Happiest days I spent in the bank. It was there that I put the pen in the hands of Stevie Smith who went on to hook for Ireland and the Lions and whose biggest claim to fame was knocking out 4 of Sean Fitzpatrick’s front teeth. He had great regard for Fitzpatrick who when invited to whinge about Stevie said, nothing to say, just part of the game.

I had to put big Stevie in the boot once on the way back from a session, there were about 8 squeezed into my Renault 12. When we got back to our flats in Crawford Square, I had to wake Stevie up. :lol: I knew his father well in the bank and told him, don’t worry I’ll look after him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The reason
I went school
in the late 50s-60s with a lad called Gordon Kearney whose Da owned said hotels when there was Dancing about 3nights a week in the said hotels it was a licence to print money - and wonder where GK got .
Went to a fleet air arm flying display at Eglinton Airport when it was still a base must have been about 1955 - 56 .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

rumncoke wrote:The reason
I went school
in the late 50s-60s with a lad called Gordon Kearney whose Da owned said hotels when there was Dancing about 3nights a week in the said hotels it was a licence to print money - and wonder where GK got .
Went to a fleet air arm flying display at Eglinton Airport when it was still a base must have been about 1955 - 56 .

Messrs Trousers and Rum

To follow on from your recent posts and before someone tells me - Yes I know it's off topic but.....

I think The City Hotel was open until the mid 1970s , it was certainly used as a base for the army of TV reporters and journalists covering the early years of civil unrest in the City. However I think it may have been owned by the Ulster Transport Authority.

The Meville was burned in or around 1971 (resulting in the death of 2 firemen) but I'm not sure if it was still open prior to the fire. MrC you are correct the Hotel was owned by the Kearney family.

MrT you have mentioned couple of "gentlemen" who coincidently are both known by me and I'm sure you have a wealth of stories relating to your adventures with them. I was chatting to John and he was saying he hoped to make a trip to Ravenhill in the not too distant future, but then you know them Derry wans hate crossing the Glenshane.

Eglinton Air Field (HMS Gannet) closed in 1959 and operations were moved to RAF Ballykelly and RAF Ballyhalbert.

>Off_Topic_Man
"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

DavyG wrote:
rumncoke wrote:The reason
I went school

Messrs Trousers and Rum

To follow on from your recent posts and before someone tells me - Yes I know it's off topic but.....

I think The City Hotel was open until the mid 1970s , it was certainly used as a base for the army of TV reporters and journalists covering the early years of civil unrest in the City. However I think it may have been owned by the Ulster Transport Authority.

The Meville was burned in or around 1971 (resulting in the death of 2 firemen) but I'm not sure if it was still open prior to the fire. MrC you are correct the Hotel was owned by the Kearney family.

MrT you have mentioned couple of "gentlemen" who coincidently are both known by me and I'm sure you have a wealth of stories relating to your adventures with them. I was chatting to John and he was saying he hoped to make a trip to Ravenhill in the not too distant future, but then you know them Derry wans hate crossing the Glenshane.

Eglinton Air Field (HMS Gannet) closed in 1959 and operations were moved to RAF Ballykelly and RAF Ballyhalbert.

>Off_Topic_Man
Looking at it now in the cold morning air, I referred to Martin as Martin Doherty, he is, of course, Martin Gallagher - these Derry names, eh? The place is full of Dohertys & Gallaghers.

Do you know Martin, Davy? Always wondered if he is still about the place, I haven't seen him since I left in December 1982, really nice guy.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Was the Everglades known as ‘The Blue Diddy’?

The Redcastle is still a great spot, which the Tenders visit a couple of times each year for some R&R. Handy for walking and convenient for Derry, but far enough away to keep your ears intact. Good grub, good pool and good crack.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.