The Disappeared 2018-19 season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Disappeared 2018-19 season

Post by Dave »

James Ryan is listed as 108kg and Treadwell as 115kg. Ryan is taller too.

Matty Rea is listed as 110kg and Jack O'Donoghue as 106kg. Although Matty is taller (2 cm)

Ulster's shirts are not as tight maybe that's it.

The problem with our players is that they don't seem to adapt and play what is in front of them. Treadwell was going too upright into contact against forwards. On one occasion his leg was caught by their forward and that makes it so easy to drive him back. Another occasion he was up against two forwards and went in upright, easily driven back. Maybe that's it. Put the shoulder down or run in pods FFS. Get him up against a back and he can stay upright. He absolutely steamrolled Bundee Aki like he wasn't there. I don't personally think he is underpowered. Rea I'm not sure about.

The problem with Rea and Treadwell is we are getting to them too late. Treadwell came over here overweight with too much body fat. If we had him from 18 it would have been much better for his development. Rea, as far as I know, was out of the Ulster setup for a time and just with his club? If that's the case who was looking after his strength and conditioning? Maybe that's it.

James Ryan is a bit of freak like Hendo. Hendo was ready early through sheer genetics. Ryan is quite lean but has real explosive power. There are videos of him out sprinting backs to score tries at underage level. Maybe that's it.

Ryan wouldn't be starting at Leinster with all players fit. Treadwell would at Ulster. He's relatively inexperienced. Maybe that's it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

They need to be physically capable to survive at that level, regardless of skill. McCall was being managed the previous season or so due to issues around physical capability apparently. Look at Kane also with his recent problems. Ironically these are guys with time on their side as props, and both we should have high hopes for in the future. McBurneys bulked up as a 21 year old but still looks 2 years off physically. Porter tbf is a freak. (Same year class).
Front row boys will be especially prone to neck shoulder and spine/ disc injuries especially boys giving away 2-3 stone against some of the French and English behemoths. So a future starting front row of McCall Mcburney and Kane has real legs and the groundwork in place if properly managed. Ulsters scrummaging by and large has improved this season even down to 3rd or 4th choice. But Tenders right, these guys can carry an extra stone with the proper conditioning and improve their explosiveness. Are we deploying the correct people for our specific forwards needs? If we have a supposedly mobile pack its not as if they're running big packs off their feet. Some if these big packs are also incredibly fit, which suggests these guys should be able to bulk up with proper coaching. Its ironic we have McCloskey and Stockdale who are as big as Rea and OConnor, and close to Treadwell, but are fast AND powerful.
Exterminate all rational thought
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Nicely put Ger. I suspect many or a few are taking the FOLK approach, trying to sound like they know what they’re saying whilst being half-assed or at best sketchy about the actual processes.

I have note a single lulu about how we attempt to develop kids and for that reason....I’m out.
you and Kiss both.....
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave Im not arguing if you are saying Rea and Treadwell are heavier/ taller than Ryan and ODonoghue, but both are better conditioned than either Rea or Treadwell. They are honed and very well muscled which suggests they have had a significantly different regime, maybe down to the reasons you give. But both are the finished article regardless at similar ages to Rea and Treadwell. Ryan isnt first choice for Mexico only because of Toner and Fardy. Ditto ODonoghue at Munter with Stander et al.
Exterminate all rational thought
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Is Matty Rea the best we have? Fuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Give him time ffs, he is still only a kid, trying to develop a player is not some kind of white mans magic ffs.
I know that bit they've been talking about him for a few years now.

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Dave Im not arguing if you are saying Rea and Treadwell are heavier/ taller than Ryan and ODonoghue, but both are better conditioned than either Rea or Treadwell. They are honed and very well muscled which suggests they have had a significantly different regime, maybe down to the reasons you give. But both are the finished article regardless at similar ages to Rea and Treadwell. Ryan isnt first choice for Mexico only because of Toner and Fardy. Ditto ODonoghue at Munter with Stander et al.
My point about Ryan not starting was just in comparison to Treadwell who is being asked to start and still fairly inexperienced. Ryan gets to learn his trade from those players and doesn't the responsibility of being a starter in the big games. It's a good position to be in. Ryan is some talent. Treadwell had to learn his trade the hard way.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Is Matty Rea the best we have? Fuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk

Give him time ffs, he is still only a kid, trying to develop a player is not some kind of white mans magic ffs.
I know that bit they've been talking about him for a few years now.

And he is still developing , if I recall correctly he had a long term injury last year, so give it time I am sure he will (along with others) have a very bright future with Ulster.

I look at some of the players starting to come through and watched a few 19s and A games , there is some talent out there so I am prepared to give it a chance, are you? Have you watched any 19s or 20s game Jackie ? Suggest you do or are you only a big game fan?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Nope, I have a life

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

I'm not seeing it yet with Rea, there are times to me that he looks like an undersized second row playing in the back row, just lacks a bit of explosiveness. Could be lost in the mix with Dunleavy and Hall (and possibly Zac Ward) coming through at some point in the future, and I'm not sure whether I would have him on the bench ahead of Timoney, though they offer different things.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Jackie Brown wrote:Nope, I have a life

Then your talking out off your hole

I don't see how we can compare Matty Rea with O''Donohuhue with 70 plus caps for Munster

Ps, Matty Rea is not from a Belfast school, shock horror , there goes the myth.
Sue Dename
Novice

Post by Sue Dename »

Joe Schmo wrote:
John_e_boy wrote:Just curious since I'm way outta the reach of the dogs barking in the streets:

Why does the concensus seem to be that PJ and Olding will no longer be Ulster players regardless of the outcome of the case, of which I have absolutely no details other that what the charge is?

Kiss OUt
id imagine it's because the circumstances surrounding the events are not in keeping with the Ulster corporate image. Think the minister of defence resigning because he put his hand on a lady's knee. I'm not saying these dumdums are guilty of assault I'm saying the circumstances surrounding the case may not fit with Ulsters family image. Of course I could be wrong but I expect PJ and SO to be rather red faced when the media get hold of whatever the court allows them to print.
I quite like our 9 and 10 pairing atm it's our pack and our inability to hold on to a ball that I dislike. In fact I'm really disappointed with Jonno's work so far, I assume it's what he has to work with rather than his ability to coach that's the problem.

Joe, you got spot on. PJ and SO may walk, but the disclosures will not fit the image.

There will be a queue to sign PJ. Sale tried to take him on loan all season as they could see no reason for a suspension!
Sue Dename
Novice

Post by Sue Dename »

Bulk or skill- what comes first?
Two years ago Sid Millar ripped Kieran Campbell to shreds over the obsession of bulk over skill.
He used the NZ model of teaching and developing skill first, and bulking up later.

There is probably a happy medium, only our beanpoles don't have natural Maori physicality.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Sue Dename wrote:Bulk or skill- what comes first?
Two years ago Sid Millar ripped Kieran Campbell to shreds over the obsession of bulk over skill.
He used the NZ model of teaching and developing skill first, and bulking up later.

There is probably a happy medium, only our beanpoles don't have natural Maori physicality.
I have always held the belief that a player should not put on more weight than what their natural composition would normally be, say no more than 5-8% gym added. Players who bulk up too much are more at risk of injury and you can't grow tendons and ligaments in the gym. Ferris and healy spring to mind and I can see the likes of porter down Mexico way going the same.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I would like to see FIT apologise for getting it so wrong with his World Domination speech which for many years has been the butt of jokes amongst a few of us here... now however twice during one match if not mistaken it is being aired on the BBC by a former player and BBC/SKY analysist... this is likely the start and will continue and yes I look forward to the day that Fez blows his top and tells a few home truths... in fact he said as much yesterday.... apologise, re-set and fix are three things never likely to happen in UR... the teflon man is so far removed from any responsibility it is water off a ducks back whilst those in D4 are secretly laughing that they have two D4 stooges at the helm in both him and Kiss... IF Kiss is under pressure one thing for sure FIT doesn't feel it he has grown the domestic game beyond all recognition notwithstanding club closures and inability to meet fixtures.. but still he finds the time to watch games every weekend.. just not at a club near you.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Rea surely has Jono guiding him? Think of all the young cameos we have had during the Kiss administration who played one or two matches, looked to have potential and then disappeared. OK maybe they just weren't good enough but Rea seems to have been singled out by someone who is persisting with him.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.