Ulster v Leinster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Leinster

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Few big hard farmers at Banbridge

The Academy could do a lot worse than seconding players to Banbridge to learn from Soper and play with big hard bastids like Michael Cromie, Stephen Irvine and Jonny Little

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Not just Banbridge Russ, plenty round the country clubs and a lot of mini rugby coaches that are better than the schools coaches as well, that list of players shows clubs now appear to be turning out more talent than the schools.
Schools rugby in the big schools cup sides generally are only interested in the schools cup and don't give a feck about the players when they leave. Willie Faloon coaches both RSA and Armagh club, perhaps Soper should or possibly is involved with Banbridge academy, men like that see both sides, smaller schools need skills not heavyweights to be competitive, kids enjoy their rugby and go on to play for the clubs everyone wins with that scenario, how many Belfast schools kids finish up in club sides, pretty few I would think, the going away to university is a red herring that is quoted as the likes of Faloon can get them back after their degrees if they are back in the country and I am pretty sure that happens elsewhere as well.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Is Victor Vito a farmer?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Russ wrote:
thecrouch wrote:
Russ wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Interesting comments about the farming.
Kind of confirmed my suspicions but didn't want to comment until I heard from farming folk.

Totally agree with the comments about Cotzee being our only forward with the eye of the Tiger.
Funnily enough a farmer.

Like Liam Williams a scaffolder, when you're points down v the All Blacks and all looks lost, he's the man in the team who thinks well it still beats sticking up giant poles for a living in minus temperatures.
He's the man who sets off and has the mentality to change things.
He doesn't shrink with the rest.
As with SOB a farmer.

Have the same issue with some of the guys I coach at the minute
You can give them untold input but if they just walk on the pitch and look round them for a game you got to find another way..
Its got to come from within the player ultimately but it's also down to coaches to help them understand that.
When you see the Nevin inspired performance v the Scarlets you know it's something you can tap into.

If that's what motivates them that's what they should be playing for.
If it's just all just for a wage packet you might as well give up.
Not many farmers in RBAI or Methody yet all the resources go there

Too many fancy dan types who think they've made it once they get an Ulster tracksuit.
Cruising round the Lisburn road after a latte then down Vic Square for a lougha bants
Get the hair done too

Would be really interesting to understand the Saracens mentality and how that can be tweaked to fit Ulster

A lot of what Saracens do is excellent.
They create an environment where noone from the tea lady to the British Lion is considered or any differently within the set up.
They are all part of the team.

The supporters are put on a pedestal and treated with respect not herded in amd treated like cash cows.
By a distance the best place I've been to watch a rugby game in terms of the fans being looked after.
The atmosphere is all positive and creates positive on field results.
Clearly when they moved they wanted to create this atmosphere and responded to supporter feedback on what they wanted.

They have a substantial budget of course but don't just buy the best or next available player.
They buy and profile the player that is the best fit for the team.
Again someone like Wigglesworth not the best 9 around but the best fit for them.
We sign.Charlie P, as he was an available superstar, they just don't do that.

On the flip side they hoover and discard young talent.
Every other parent is given false hope with little Johnny being looked at by Saracens.
They invite him to train with them for a substantial fee of course.
However they get the best talent that way.

Theres probably a lot more but we could do worse than looking at them as Russ says.
If only we had an Ulster connection there.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Serious question that some on here may be able to answer. When I was at school our PE teacher coached rugby. Hockey too as well as cricket. The question I'm asking is: does UR or the IRFU run a coach education programme for teachers or indeed club coaches?
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:Is Victor Vito a farmer?
Samoan so probably

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Serious question that some on here may be able to answer. When I was at school our PE teacher coached rugby. Hockey too as well as cricket. The question I'm asking is: does UR or the IRFU run a coach education programme for teachers or indeed club coaches?
Yes
The goal for clubs and schools is to get coaches certified at the correct level

Even level 0 is a good grounding in the basics and involves classroom and on pitch learning

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Feck me I've eight O levels, but even though I could motivate them I don't think my technical knowledge of RU is up to scratch.
We can shoot the breeze until the beasts come home, but unless the men at the top recognise there's a problem, things won't change.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:
bazzaj wrote:
I remember mine closures being blamed for the woes of the Welsh packs.
Similar we seemed to have lost our big farmer types.

Has something happened to cut our traditional supply of to Ballymena tough as teak farmers?
Question for Rooster I would have thought.
Less farms for a start also kids on farms and fathers getting older leading to lads having to make the choice to farm or not earlier and those who farm can just about handle training for club matches but not the time for academy, I know 2 who turned down academy selection but still play club rugby, hard as nails a prop and a back row.
More mechanised farming also leads to less natural muscle build up, used to be chucking bales of hay, cleaning out calf houses with graip and barrow now it's big round or square bales handled by loaders and calf pens cleaned out with machinery as well, less workers required for same end result, a six stone girl can do most farming jobs these days.
I was talking to a GAA clubman from South Down last week and he was complaining about exactlythe same things. No big strong country lads (or girls). He says they're all indoors playing computer games like the townies.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
Rooster wrote:
bazzaj wrote:
I remember mine closures being blamed for the woes of the Welsh packs.
Similar we seemed to have lost our big farmer types.

Has something happened to cut our traditional supply of to Ballymena tough as teak farmers?
Question for Rooster I would have thought.
Less farms for a start also kids on farms and fathers getting older leading to lads having to make the choice to farm or not earlier and those who farm can just about handle training for club matches but not the time for academy, I know 2 who turned down academy selection but still play club rugby, hard as nails a prop and a back row.
More mechanised farming also leads to less natural muscle build up, used to be chucking bales of hay, cleaning out calf houses with graip and barrow now it's big round or square bales handled by loaders and calf pens cleaned out with machinery as well, less workers required for same end result, a six stone girl can do most farming jobs these days.
I was talking to a GAA clubman from South Down last week and he was complaining about exactlythe same things. No big strong country lads (or girls). He says they're all indoors playing computer games like the townies.
Starts early - my wife works with nursery school kids (age 3-4) and says when they try to build their gross mortor skills that most don't have any strength in their fingers to do the most basic of things because they're so used to touch screens. Don't need strength for touch screens!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Have read a few 'Elephants in the room' posts on this thread, however no mention of Bryn in any of them...

Genuinely I think that Bryn is a good guy, but he came from the cornerfleg stable, and if he has any authority, sway, balls or pride, he would be standing up to the powers that be when they tell him to sign the players we don't need, or face the media when there's a sh!tstorm of some description.

To me, if we have a DoR and a HC, we don't need an Operations Director. If we have an OD and an HC we dont need a DoR. Simples but we have all 3, do we need to keep Esportif happy by having one of their boys in the inside, or what is the genuine story?

Final thoughts are that an operations director, if he is in charge of contracts, should have full control of the academy, schools and domestic rugby interfaces. Is this the case?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Elephants, Red Hands and Red Herrings

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Just thought I would change the title of this thread for one post ...

... just for the hell of it :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

That should be Rob Herrings, grumps
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Starts early - my wife works with nursery school kids (age 3-4) and says when they try to build their gross mortor skills that most don't have any strength in their fingers to do the most basic of things because they're so used to touch screens. Don't need strength for touch screens!
Is she any good with ACLs? Do South African farmers use touch screens with their knees?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Hold on Grumps, are you saying yer missus is turning out 3-4 year-old brickies. Did you mean 34?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: when they try to build their gross mortor skills that most don't have any strength in their fingers
They'll never be bricklayers. :duck:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall