Ulster v Leinster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Leinster

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
bazzaj wrote:I've been holding my judgement since 1999. Not sure how much longer I can be expected to hold it for.
Think USA election Jizzer, 4 more years, 4 more years, 4 more years.

As an ould mate of mine from the bank used to say, live horse and you'll get grass. He never added, die and we'll make glue of you. >flog
There's nothing so bad that it can't get a hell of a lot worse :D
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bazzaj wrote:
I remember mine closures being blamed for the woes of the Welsh packs.
Similar we seemed to have lost our big farmer types.

Has something happened to cut our traditional supply of to Ballymena tough as teak farmers?
Question for Rooster I would have thought.
Less farms for a start also kids on farms and fathers getting older leading to lads having to make the choice to farm or not earlier and those who farm can just about handle training for club matches but not the time for academy, I know 2 who turned down academy selection but still play club rugby, hard as nails a prop and a back row.
More mechanised farming also leads to less natural muscle build up, used to be chucking bales of hay, cleaning out calf houses with graip and barrow now it's big round or square bales handled by loaders and calf pens cleaned out with machinery as well, less workers required for same end result, a six stone girl can do most farming jobs these days.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

bazzaj wrote:Has something happened to cut our traditional supply of to Ballymena tough as teak farmers?
They don't go to school in Belfast. :roll:
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

The 'Tough as Teak' Ballymena farmers all got fat and soft, living off EU supplements and Arlene's RHI dosh.
That resource is dead to us. We need to get into secondary schools where underachieving Billy's have no hope of a career in banking. With Rugby their only possible way to make enough wonga to keep their future trout pouting kardashian wannabe wifey, little Billi-Leigh and Kanye in Harvey Norman luxury. These lads weren't born with a silver spoon up their ar$es and they're hungry for money in just the same way as the saft as shyte saffers who drain our coffers at present. Difference is, inner city kids can be nasty, aggressive feckers, which is what we need in our pack, not journeymen pretenders who couldn't bate back doors for bins.
Coatzee is the ONLY player I've seen in the past few years who has the necessary attitude and aggression. There are some amongst our suits who were unsure if he wasn't a bit OTT for 'The Ulster way'
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

bazzaj wrote: Ie when lineouts go to pot anyone surely knows you secure at 2 or cut the line out?
My memory is that we did both those things. We still lost.

Rory out
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

The only lineout we secured second half was Robbie Diack taking the ball hard and flat to the front from a cut lineout which was the only lineout out of 7 where we used that tactic.

Ironically it actually led to the Leinster try but hey ho.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Few big hard farmers at Banbridge

The Academy could do a lot worse than seconding players to Banbridge to learn from Soper and play with big hard bastids like Michael Cromie, Stephen Irvine and Jonny Little

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Interesting comments about the farming.
Kind of confirmed my suspicions but didn't want to comment until I heard from farming folk.

Totally agree with the comments about Cotzee being our only forward with the eye of the Tiger.
Funnily enough a farmer.

Like Liam Williams a scaffolder, when you're points down v the All Blacks and all looks lost, he's the man in the team who thinks well it still beats sticking up giant poles for a living in minus temperatures.
He's the man who sets off and has the mentality to change things.
He doesn't shrink with the rest.
As with SOB a farmer.

Have the same issue with some of the guys I coach at the minute
You can give them untold input but if they just walk on the pitch and look round them for a game you got to find another way..
Its got to come from within the player ultimately but it's also down to coaches to help them understand that.
When you see the Nevin inspired performance v the Scarlets you know it's something you can tap into.

If that's what motivates them that's what they should be playing for.
If it's just all just for a wage packet you might as well give up.
Last edited by bazzaj on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

bazzaj wrote:True Bagster.
When you think of the tremendous packs we have had in the past I think this is probably the worst in my memory and beyond

May never have been blessed with the most fluid of backlines at times but always produced tough abrasive forwards that were hard to crack.

When you think how many caps Call-up Black, Diack, Clive Ross or Herring have accumulated gives just an idea of how average our production line has been considering they aren't from Ulster and would have hardly got a game back in the day.

I remember mine closures being blamed for the woes of the Welsh packs.
Similar we seemed to have lost our big farmer types.

Has something happened to cut our traditional supply of to Ballymena tough as teak farmers?
Question for Rooster I would have thought.
rooster is one of those red diesel smuggling type down the other way....
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:Interesting comments about the farming.
Kind of confirmed my suspicions but didn't want to comment until I heard from farming folk.

Totally agree with the comments about Cotzee being our only forward with the eye of the Tiger.
Funnily enough a farmer.

Like Liam Williams a scaffolder, when you're points down v the All Blacks and all looks lost, he's the man in the team who thinks well it still beats sticking up giant poles for a living in minus temperatures.
As with SOB a farmer.

You can give them untold input but if they just walk on the pitch and look round them for a game you got to find another way..
Its got to come from within the player ultimately but it's also down to coaches to help them understand that.
When you see the Nevin inspired performance v the Scarlets you know it's something you can tap into.

Not many farmers in RBAI or Methody yet all the resources go there

bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Granted but as discussed it's not a problem for the silver spoon privately educated Leinster brigade.

We don't have that system as we've established or are likely to.

The big country lads from farming communities are a resource that we had which has dried up.
We have to look for another way start finding these units and investing in them early.
Other wise it's more journeymen foreign types and Leinster cast offs for the foreseeable.
Last edited by bazzaj on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Russ wrote:

Funnily enough a farmer.

As with SOB a farmer.

Too many fancy dan types who think they've made it once they get an Ulster tracksuit.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

thecrouch wrote:
Russ wrote:

Funnily enough a farmer.

As with SOB a farmer.

Too many fancy dan types who think they've made it once they get an Ulster tracksuit.
Cruising round the Lisburn road after a latte then down Vic Square for a lougha bants
Get the hair done too

Would be really interesting to understand the Saracens mentality and how that can be tweaked to fit Ulster

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
thecrouch wrote:
Russ wrote:

Funnily enough a farmer.

As with SOB a farmer.

Cruising round the Lisburn road after a latte then down Vic Square for a lougha bants
Get the hair done too

Would be really interesting to understand the Saracens mentality and how that can be tweaked to fit Ulster

Instie the new Merc and get highlights in hair.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
thecrouch wrote:
Russ wrote:

Funnily enough a farmer.

As with SOB a farmer.

Get the hair done too

Instie the new Merc and get highlights in hair.
1. Get paid for the instie post
2. Keep the sponsors happy