Charles Piutau interview in Grauniad

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Charles Piutau interview in Grauniad

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cornerfleg wrote:... I couldn't locate a feck in a feck factory for my interest in international ballix, draw a wee line on a map, sing a wee song about it, cry a bit ... maybe do a wee dance ... and play for whoever might pick you for a good handshake - it's a con people ...
Some might put it another way ...

I couldn't locate a feck in a feck factory for my interest in interprovincial ballix, draw a wee line on a map (e.g. south of Donegal, Fermanagh, Cavan, Monaghan, Armagh) sing a wee song about it (Stand Up ...), cry a bit (cry a LOT) ... maybe do a wee dance ... and play for whoever might pick you for a good handshake - it's a con people ...

:stir:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

True Grumps ... true, I think with professionalism the old interpro rivalry is open to debate ... that's why I was always a great fan of Harry Williams - Club Ulster idea, club rivalry between Club Ulster and Club Turnip/Mexico and Wind farm - is alive and well.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Dave wrote:Off topic
No flies on you Dave ... you nailed it.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cornerfleg wrote:
Dave wrote:Off topic
No flies on you Dave ... you nailed it.
Well you should have given some kind of off topic alert...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Mea Culpa ... I tried to sneak it in under the radar ... but Kim Jung-Dave was having none of it ....
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I will shoot down any off topic comments and then blow up Japan if any of you m***********s mess up this thread.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

againstthehead wrote:
bazzaj wrote:All OK but when a guy picks playing for Bristol over the All Blacks and World Cups I can't help but think that's sad.
Note I specifically didn't say Justin that he was sad just talking about the situation, more a commentary on the state of affairs brought about by professionalism.
I don't think he would have been exactly living from soup kitchens had he stayed in New Zealand btw which seems to be a general inference.
As far as I know he was living in a garage at one stage or perhaps it was a brother of his. A lot of pacific islanders and Maori live in tough conditions and have huge families. Rugby tends to be a way out for the lucky few and it's their culture to share what they have between everyone. I absolutely see you your point in terms that it's sad that he has to turn his back on an international career at such a young age. However, on the other hand perhaps he's turning his back on a dream to support his wider family. Rugby is a short career so if he has a big family then even a few million will get eaten up quick enough.
Yep I get that bit but don't expect me to get violins out for rugby mercenaries.
That's all he is.
Theres a bit of a difference with say a Terblanche who was a cover signing for a year than a Piatau who has signed a deal for someone else whilst he's got a season to play for us.
That shouldn't be allowed.

I'd sooner be looking at playing a young Ulsterman in his place than a man whose only interest his his next paycheck.
Rugby is more to me than that.
People wish him well, it's up to them but I don't.
Sounds harsh but I don't wish him anything either way as I don't consider him to be our player.

Love to know if the terms of his new contract are subject to injury because if that's the case can't see him exactly spilling blood for the cause.
Having said that he can win me round if he performs on field but I have been far from convinced to date.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Dave wrote:I will shoot down any off topic comments and then blow up Japan if any of you m***********s mess up this thread.

There ya go Dave ... just for you!
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

http://i.stuff.co.nz/
Incidentally as I said these All Blacks aren't exactly living on the poverty line.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:Theres a bit of a difference with say a Terblanche who was a cover signing for a year than a Piatau who has signed a deal for someone else whilst he's got a season to play for us.
That shouldn't be allowed.
No difference to when he signed for Ulster, and very little difference, if any, to most other contracts in the pro game these days. They are nearly all signed while the player is at one club and looking for their next contract either at the same club or a different one.
I'm not arguing -
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-bl ... -agreement#
Like I said the All Blacks not exactly on the poverty line.

Thought Terblanche retired after us so it's a difference as he was soley our player.

My point being you shouldn't be allowed to play for someone whilst signing for someone else.
Especially not for an entire season.
Doesn't happen in football as they outlaw 'tapping up' so why should rugby be different?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have some words to say in response. They are the best words. The best words ever made. This little rocket man will be destroyed by me. The worst destroyed ever. Really terrible destruction. I can't believe this guy. He disrespects the fleg and the anfum. He should be fired right away. He disrespects the band too. The band are great. They are a really very terrific band. One of the best ever. We have all the best bands. And my friend Shane too he is a great guy. Really terrific guy. I have gave him a radar you know so he can see the rockets coming in. We have all the best radars. You know my friend Les Kiss. He's a great guy. I told him to play Tommy Bowe at 13. I told Les it's ok he is an alt-right winger. Play him in the centre. It's gonna be great. A very great thing.Image
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-bl ... -agreement#

Thought Terblanche retired after us so it's a difference as he was soley our player.

My point being you shouldn't be allowed to play for someone whilst signing for someone else.
Doesn't happen in football as they outlaw 'tapping up' so why should rugby be different?
It does happen in football when a player is nearing the end of their contract.

I would say that in rugby there is still far more respect for contracts than in football. I don't think we want to be using football as good example of how to run rugby. (and I say that as a footy fan).
I'm not arguing -
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Ha ha ... Dave you funny guy ... I raugh ...
but not a rot ...

You mentary dellanged Dotard ... You rike da ban' ...
Ha I raugh at you again ... you on a suicide mission ...
dey lubbish.
Dey never pray Kim Wil' ... dey clap.

You think you flighten me,
you best buddies with Rittle and Rarge ... big deer
Ret me tell you Dave ...
Res couldn't pick his nose and Rogie is a plick ...

Get me ... I best buds wi' Jonno ... he one hard ass ... he make Lobbie Diack into one hard - Big Fi' Big Fi' - mofo
yeah ...
how bou' I send him lound you house ... he knock your barrix in ...

I also got a fully roaded Lodney leady to raunch any time ...
yeah da' scares da shi' outta of you ...
bling it breed, I ain't scared of you
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
bazzaj wrote:http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-bl ... -agreement#

It does happen in football when a player is nearing the end of their contract.

I would say that in rugby there is still far more respect for contracts than in football. I don't think we want to be using football as good example of how to run rugby. (and I say that as a footy fan).
I know there is no such good examples to learn from footy on field particularly, but if we are comparing the top rugby clubs as businesses by comparison to football we are total minnows.
It would be burying our heads to suggest we couldn't learn anything considering the shambolic nature the way that some rugby clubs are run.

I have to admire the fact that football clubs for once stood firm about their players in the last transfer window refusing to let them go.
Hopefully that's a precedent set for the greedy agents and players.