Team to play Zebre.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cracker
Squire

Team to play Zebre.

Post by Cracker »

Any inspired guesses? Will we prolong the lay off period for our top players or will they be available to get them more prepared to meet Connaught?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Team to play Zebre.

Post by Dave »

Best available team to play or close to
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Dave wrote:Best available team to play or close to
Exactly. Doesn't matter who the opposition are, away games need the best available team. We don't want another balls up like treviso.

Contrary to what Baggy commented, I actually don't think the fixtures do favour us. We have a run of games we should comfortably win now, with tougher contests to happen later, when injuries will be stacking up, and CL will be gone.

Can't afford to be missing out on any more winning BPs
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

McCall, Herring, Herbst
Treadwell, Hendo
Deysel, Timoney, Reidy
Cooney, Lealiifano
Trimble, Marshall, Cave, Charlie, Ludik/Payne

assuming all are fit.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Great side scrum. Looks very tasty.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

scrum5 wrote:McCall, Herring, Herbst
Treadwell, Hendo
Deysel, Timoney, Reidy
Cooney, Lealiifano
Trimble, Marshall, Cave, Charlie, Ludik/Payne

assuming all are fit.....
Won't happen though but nice to think it will
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Eggs wrote:
Exactly. Doesn't matter who the opposition are, away games need the best available team. We don't want another balls up like treviso.

Contrary to what Baggy commented,
I actually don't think the fixtures do favour us. We have a run of games we should comfortably win now, with tougher contests to happen later, when injuries will be stacking up, and CL will be gone.

Never took you for a dumbass Eggs but the fixture list doesn't lie, have you bothered to study it? My comparison with what Scaaaaaaaaalets face is spot on and it compares favourably with any of the alleged "top teams".

You cannot assess the shape of the fixture list using the entirely imponderable of what injuries may happen & when. We are already hamstrung by several, not to mention two absentees who are resting currently and may or may not be seen again. It's entirely possible, if statistically unlikely that we could have a sensational team in terms of the best being fit by the latter stages.

In any event, for the last several seasons we have had 3 derbies & either or both of Weegies & Ospreys in a run, this season between d'RDS on 6th January and the final game in Limerick, we are away to Scaaaaaaalets during the 6Ns which will be tough but could favour us more than them with international calls and that apart are playing dung like Embra & Cardiff away.

You see Eggs, the fact is you really didn't bother looking did you? Confess >EW :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Strong side to start and look to put them to the sword with a bp, before hauling off our half backs and a few other key men would be ideal. If we manage that and it means we are disjointed for the rest of the game i am not so bothered. At this stage and with the run of games to come getting the 5 points and avoiding injuries are what really matter.

if soemone like McCloskey doesn't start then i wouldn't bench him for this one. Ditto CP/Ludik and Henry.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Eggs wrote:

Contrary to what Baggy commented,
I actually don't think the fixtures do favour us. We have a run of games we should comfortably win now, with tougher contests to happen later, when injuries will be stacking up, and CL will be gone.

Never took you for a dumbass Eggs but the fixture list doesn't lie, have you bothered to study it? My comparison with what Scaaaaaaaaalets face is spot on and it compares favourably with any of the alleged "top teams".

You cannot assess the shape of the fixture list using the entirely imponderable of what injuries may happen & when. We are already hamstrung by several, not to mention two absentees who are resting currently and may or may not be seen again. It's entirely possible, if statistically unlikely that we could have a sensational team in terms of the best being fit by the latter stages.

In any event, for the last several seasons we have had 3 derbies & either or both of Weegies & Ospreys in a run, this season between d'RDS on 6th January and the final game in Limerick, we are away to Scaaaaaaalets during the 6Ns which will be tough but could favour us more than them with international calls and that apart are playing dung like Embra & Cardiff away.

You see Eggs, the fact is you really didn't bother looking did you? Confess >EW :lol: :lol: :lol:
Given what happened last season and pre-season, the one thing we absolutely needed to start with was a few wins to build some confidence. I dread to think how our season could have panned out if we didn't start like that, on the back of last season's goings on. Yes, it may have hastened Kiss out the door, but the season could well have been over by then. In that revgard, the fixture list has undoubtedly been very kind to us.

Now i know we started with 5/5 last season, but IIRC we were away to Connacht just before the Euro Cup and then started the Euro Cup with an away match in Bordeaux. This time round we are perhaps crucially at home to Connacht and home to Wasps, giving us a decent chance of starting the season with 7/7 (acknowledging that Wasps in particular will be a very tough game and far from a certain win) and having had 5 home games in there plus 2 trips to Italy. As Baggy says, the fixtures later on need to be looked at in the ciontext if when they are and possible international call ups. I don't see Ulster being too badly impacted tbh, compared to the likes of Glasgow, Leinster and Scarlets.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Deysel? Coetzee?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

We absolutely needed a good start, Bart, spot on, I didn't bother looking at the SDC to be honest because although it will not happen, I'd like to see us very clearly give priority to the league. At a stretch, if a lot of things go right, especially injuries, it's just about conceivable that we could jockey in the league, the SDC is not something we should bother with once it's obvious we're going nowhere in it.

But you are right, again with the first game at home, you can't ask for much better. I've discussed this "with them that know" and we - them that know - feel that it's almost as if the powers that be would like to give Ulster an even break after years of being trounced by the fixture lists.

As Shan says, I'm hyper-sensitive to all things, I have the eyes of a hawk, the hearing of a moth, the wisdom of an ancient pachyderm and as old as Methuselah.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:Deysel? Coetzee?
Maybe next week Damo................... or this year. next year, sometime, never?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Haha

Will Zebre play a weak team against us? They have a winnable game against Edinburgh the week after.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Just rewatched the game, and I make Hendo captain next week with Chad on the bench, it was Hendo who got the team together at the end and was doing the talking along with the best 13 in Ireland.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

McCloskey to 6 .... Timoney to 12 ....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"