Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Post by BR »

Do you want my ticket for Quins?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:Do you want my ticket for Quins?
I need you BR

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
BR wrote:Do you want my ticket for Quins?
I need you BR

Slag
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BaggyTrousers wrote:OK, I'll throw you a soft one:

There is no question that Charles Piutau is a player of great class, that is a given. Has Les Kiss managed to use him in a constructive way, having played him out of position at fullback for most of his stay?

Supplementary:

Do you agree that given that Ulster missed out on any knock out rugby last season and seem only vaguely sure of getting into the increased layer in the Pro 14, i.e. the 2nd v 3rd playoff, can we agree that Piutau's Ulster stay has been 1) a waste of a lot of money? 2) a waste of a magnificent talent? 3) the squandering of Louis Ludik, Ulster's 2nd best fullback after Jared Payne?

No more questions.................. the prosecution rests.
to follow on from that baggy with two full-backs of such note and at a time when we needed a world class back row player who actually signed him? and what was the logic? ... my understanding it was all about bums on seats and getting season tickets sold nothing else. Some may say there is nothing wrong with that indeed that is probably what Bristol are hoping for as well but at the time a blind man could see where we needed strengthening... and yes he came as a winger when in theory we had Trimble, Bowe (both playing much better then), Gilroy Stockdale and seemingly a few others starting to come through at the time...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Cockatrice wrote:

There is no question that Charles Piutau is a player of great class, that is a given. Has Les Kiss managed to use him in a constructive way, having played him out of position at fullback for most of his stay?

Supplementary:

Do you agree that given that Ulster missed out on any knock out rugby last season and seem only vaguely sure of getting into the increased layer in the Pro 14, i.e. the 2nd v 3rd playoff, can we agree that Piutau's Ulster stay has been 1) a waste of a lot of money? 2) a waste of a magnificent talent? 3) the squandering of Louis Ludik, Ulster's 2nd best fullback after Jared Payne?

to follow on from that baggy with two full-backs of such note and at a time when we needed a world class back row player who actually signed him? and what was the logic? ... my understanding it was all about bums on seats and getting season tickets sold nothing else. Some may say there is nothing wrong with that indeed that is probably what Bristol are hoping for as well but at the time a blind man could see where we needed strengthening... and yes he came as a winger when in theory we had Trimble, Bowe (both playing much better then), Gilroy Stockdale and seemingly a few others starting to come through at the time...
The first part of the logic (however flawed) may have come from the requirement to shoehorn our best fullback into 13, at the expense of our best 13.

The other part was sign a big box office name, whoever and wherever we can get.

Load of nonsense
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cockatrice wrote:

Supplementary:

At the risk of stepping on the toes of the panel (but you started it!), the world class back row was signed. He just happens to have been injured a bit.

The meteoric rise of Stockdale has, I suspect, taken everyone by surprise (not least most of this forum who would gladly have had Scholes playing instead of him) and Trimble and Bowe would have been expected to be with Ireland a lot when CP was signed up.

As such, and compounded by Payne's headaches, he's been played at 15. Which has, I think it's fair to say, left us a bit on the porous side at the back.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Charles is worth every penny. It's just a pity we have had a rubbish pack.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Charles is worth every penny. It's just a pity we have had a rubbish pack.
Charles has been referred to as a box office player but I wonder how many who go to Ravenhill had actually heard of him before he got the press write ups here ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

justinr73 wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:

Supplementary:

At the risk of stepping on the toes of the panel (but you started it!), the world class back row was signed. He just happens to have been injured a bit.

The meteoric rise of Stockdale has, I suspect, taken everyone by surprise (not least most of this forum who would gladly have had Scholes playing instead of him) and Trimble and Bowe would have been expected to be with Ireland a lot when CP was signed up.

As such, and compounded by Payne's headaches, he's been played at 15. Which has, I think it's fair to say, left us a bit on the porous side at the back.
Signed but then injured and IMHO Ulster should have moved sooner to fix that situation but apparently Irish rugby clubs aren't allowed to put in contract clauses to counter players getting seriously injured between signing and turning up the following year.

In the case of Jordi they have at least waited and allowed Leinster to ease the player back into full time playing before making any judgement now just lets hope he gets through the rest of the season or our back-row curse will continue for another year.

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing but at the time of signing Charles we had 3 Irish wingers and one that was as far as D4 was concerned the next big thing whether we thought it or not and we had the reliable Ludik that could cover wing or FB. Charles was pure bums on seats but I wonder just how many he added to that stat for me a potentially great signing who blows hot and cold particularly at 15.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:Charles is worth every penny. It's just a pity we have had a rubbish pack.
Charles has been referred to as a box office player but I wonder how many who go to Ravenhill had actually heard of him before he got the press write ups here ?
He came for the money and he left for the money.. Btw I don't begrudge him as a professional player having to make a as good a living for his family in the few short years he has. He's not the reason I drag myself along on cold evenings...
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I believe Charles Piutau is a wonderful player.
I believe Charles Piutau has brought very little to the Ulster performance
I believe Charles Piutau finds himself marking time until his next big move, more often than not finds himself in a team playing rubbish rugby, so too often just amuses himself by trying to do everything himself.
I believe Charles Piutau will not be missed in terms of team performance
I believe most of all that Charles Piutau has been utterly wasted by being played out of position by a hopeless coach.
I believe unicorns who shyte marshmallows reside in Les Kiss's befuddled brain.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I would drag myself along to watch Charlie. He has been a joy to behold. Who do you drag yourself along to watch?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:I would drag myself along to watch Charlie. He has been a joy to behold. Who do you drag yourself along to watch?
Hendo

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:I would drag myself along to watch Charlie. He has been a joy to behold. Who do you drag yourself along to watch?
Hendo

+1
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
Hendo

+1
How far would you drag yourself? Bristol?