Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Re: Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Post by ADM »

For those who didn’t already know, here’s the latest PODCAST as we discuss Les Kiss’ departure!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Adam & Friends, you are correct that Ulster does not have the depth of other clubs, however, a coach who can motivate players can, as McGlock did, take a good XV a long way. Admittedly he had a crackin' XV but almost entirely nothing beyond that. There is sufficient talent in the current squad, despite its weak areas, that the performances should not be consistently dire, indeed so dire that the back to back wins against a wretched Hairyquims are celebrated as some sort of hope. :duh:

A good coach will do much better than Kiss with that squad, of that I have no doubt.
A good coach will not allow any player to believe they are surplus to requirements as we saw Kiss do with Ludik, Cave & Andrew Trimble, the GLU, at various stages.
A good coach will not generally use a lottery machine to decide which 2 or 3 players to play out of position every game.
A good coach, having seen cast iron evidence that a player is a top class winger & modest fullback one year, will not forget that lesson the following season and never play him on the wing again.
A good coach will never apologise for bringing a senior player on with 5 minutes to go because "I lost track of time"
A good coach will never throw a young player off a bus, or in Cairns case, more or less under the bus.
A good coach will never play two scrum-halves in a debut match against Leinster as Kiss did in both ritual humiliations this season.
A good coach will allow and have confidence in his other coaches to do their jobs with oversight but not a paranoia to micro-manage.
A good coach will never find himself in a position where at least 3 (to my certain knowledge) of his senior players consider him a chube who has no idea as a coach and compared to higher levels of coaching (Schmidt) is a waste of space.
A good coach will never create an atmosphere where any player detests him so much that they will quietly sign for another club before even meeting the current one - watch this space.

Les Kiss was not a good coach in the position of DOR and frankly, I don't give a solitary tuppenny fu'ck if he was the nicest man ever to walk this planet (that's a tossup between Doncha O'Callaghan & Sir Davy Attenborough by the way) being a nice man is nowhere close to the main priority to run a rugby squad.

Feel free to consider this a question of sorts.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Adam talked as much shyte as Kiss.
It’s like people refusing to speak ill of the dead. A tradition which like many others is a load of b@llix.
He’s gone because he was crap. No excuses about injuries or not having the squad. No ‘he was passionate about making Ulster great again’. Les Kiss was a failure at Ulster. The team has gone backwards under his tenure.
Are we meant to now feel sorry for him because he lost his job? Why should we?
Are we to forget the trouncings? Not just the inter-pros, feckin Zebre and 36 points conceded against the Southern Queens.
Man-up ta-feck, or go and hug a tree and stroke a kitten.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

I read these comments before listening to the podcast and I thought they were a little extreme.
Then just listened to the podcast and have to agree that Adam you were making as much sense as rum on magic mushrooms discussing the merits of time travel.
It was Shakespeare I think who said "a word to the wise isn't necessary it's the stupid that need advice."
Or maybe it was Bill Cosby but the point still stands.

No excuses for Les whatsoever who was found wanting in all the aspects Baggy mentioned above.
However I do agree that we need to cut down the roles and define them more clearly as a first step forward out of this mess.
Les's removal hasn't so much created a vacancy but removed deadwood and should go a long way to clear the muddy waters.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I was playing the JB drinking game.

I was spitting feathers for a while there like but then came 3 “in terms of” in quick succession.

6 in total.

Dangerous game to play when you’re doing the ironing at the same time.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Liz/ Tender you will need to be careful of your criticism or you will end up sent to Coventry like me and ignored like a piece of brad pitt on the boot of UR..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Cockers I will take this advice on board as I've seen what happens when Ulster folk get sent to Coventry.
Want to avoid that and I bet Les wishes he had too.
ADM
Initiate

Post by ADM »

As we approach our game against the Southern Kings on Friday, give us some listener questions to tackle in tomorrow’s podcast please!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

What is a top shagger?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:What is a top shagger?

A missionary.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ADM wrote:As we approach our game against the Southern Kings on Friday, give us some listener questions to tackle in tomorrow’s podcast please!
Coaching structure going forward and the procedure for determining its size and shape?
Will the same flawed process be carried out by the same flawed individuals delivering another flawed outcome?
Will there be any transparency regarding who in the coaching team is responsible what?

Is Logan still in post?
Why is Logan still in post?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Should Gibbes be attempting to make a statement on Friday or should he happy enough with a win, even if it is another poor performance?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Is Gibbes targeting this match?

Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BR wrote:Should Gibbes be attempting to make a statement on Friday or should he happy enough with a win, even if it is another poor performance?
If Jacques Brunel took just two weeks to put together Frances defensive system and implement it successfully with six new caps how long should we give Jared Payne before lining him up to be shot.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

FOJP
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?