Lealiifano Signs

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Lealiifano Signs

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Knowns
The Japanese season ends mid January. Some serious talent there.
This is a fair point. You often hear of premiership teams signing players at that point from Jap teams. I don't know any 10s off the top of my head. Although, I'd say the FIRFU will probably say no.
Theres a guy Matt Giteau plays for Suntory Sungoliath can cover out half and centre. Another guy Berrick Barnes plays for Panasonic Wild Knights but he can only play out half.

Don't ask me how God they are though.
I'd take either until the end of the season and then Bryn can go shopping over the summer.
I'd imagine we will know where we are vis-a-vis Paddy and Stu before the turn of the year. If we need another temp to see us through to the end of the season, so be it.
First court date this month (whoops don't say anything in case UR want to know how I know) but I suspect the wheels of justice to slow down and drag into the new year unless somebody wants to plead or the case dropped... should be interesting when all the names come out (not the female obviously) but the other two..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: I'd imagine we will know where we are vis-a-vis Paddy and Stu before the turn of the year. If we need another temp to see us through to the end of the season, so be it.
Unless you are ITK Snipe, I believe that this biy will be gone at least a month to 6 weeks before the two young gentlemen's trial starts, so, no we won't have a bloody clue.
I'm not ITK at all. I was assuming that with a first appearance this month, the trial would be a couple of months away.
Long way before trial

PPS need to present a case to take it to trial

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I was assuming they would have their case made before charging and was giving them a couple of months prep time. It's a ridiculously slow process for all concerned.
Suppose that's why lawyers are (mostly) all minted.
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

Snipe to be pedantic they were never charged, they were reported to the PPS, they decided to proceed with a prosecution. Charging is used where there is enough evidence to immediately proceed or it is an urgent matter. However this is not the time or the forum to be guessing about a case.
Dura lex sed lex
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

There's nothing that has been said that involves the case specifically and I think we all now by now not too speak about it. All the talk if just off timings which I don't see a problem with as it relates to our problem at out half
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Thelaw wrote:Snipe to be pedantic they were never charged, they were reported to the PPS, they decided to proceed with a prosecution. Charging is used where there is enough evidence to immediately proceed or it is an urgent matter. However this is not the time or the forum to be guessing about a case.
Once again, I assumed they had.
I was well off grid when the story broke and I was relying on occasional dips into this board for my info.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I heard the crown court is already booked up until January at the earliest and a case like this will take 3-6 months on average for a case of this nature.then throw into the mix that there are 4 defendants and at least our 2 boys have different lawyers, then factor in that they will be more focused on their liberty than the state of Ulster's season and suddenly the following season rolls around like a bad fu'cking penny and the omnishambles just keeps rolling along.

Meanwhile I will have emigrated and my number if decks will have diminished.

So there you have the expert view from George Best Airport in the eastern burbs of Belshaft. See some of you at Spanners the first week I get back.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Leali'ifanlo's agent is Clinton Schifcofske. Just saying.

#yearlongsearch
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I'm quite looking forward to the Q Radio Ashton announcing Lealiifano...It'll make his first attempt at Charles PeeOnToe sound like Sir Ian McKellan reading from King Lear.

My guess is most supporters will simply call him Christian, apart from those West Terrace rabble, who'll likely call him Lily.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote:I was thinking about posting something about fans being realistic about their expectations and we can't expect to sign a quality ten at this stage bla bla bla. Then I remembered why expectations were so high. Our CEO, stated that they had been looking throughout the past year for another flyhalf. This time last year Christian Leali'ifanlo was diagnosed with leukemia. I'd very much doubt that he was on the 'radar'. This is a last minute opportunistic deal that probably fell into UR's lap. Shane Warren Gatland must go.

I am assuming Logan was trying to say that UR have not been naive about the whole situation and hence started looking at last summer when they became aware of it. However, i honestly think ulster's position was extremely difficult Ierms of planning. Let's face it, there have been accusations of similar crimes before involving sports people/celebrities which have got into the media and then nothing further ever happened. Whilst planning for the worst makes sense in a lot of ways, would D4 have sanctioned a top replacement a year ago when they knew about it? I doubt it. They would not have wanted ulster to have an expensive top class 10 competing with Jacko if he was available this season. We would all love to have Beauden Barrett or the like for the pro12 games at the start, but we were never going to be allowed to sign a top class 10 with pj around. Imagine the uproar if we had spent all of our money on one and then he was competing with jacko whilst we had no funds to boost the forward pack.

So whilst can see why Logie said they have been looking at it from a year ago, i tnk the reality in practical terms of knowing what they could offer and likely role/gametime etc would have been a difficult one.

However the PJ back up question regardkess of this matter is a subject which has been out there for a year now, since Ruan's departure was known. Cooney has huge shoes to fill and at the minute seems to be our best choice at 9,10 and goal kicking. No pressure on the guy, when if he just played 9 with no goal kicking pressure and was decent we should all be delighted.

As i have said elsewhere, we need to invest in future options at 10, even if that means dropping down a level to get regular gametime there.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I heard the crown court is already booked up until January at the earliest and a case like this will take 3-6 months on average for a case of this nature.then throw into the mix that there are 4 defendants and at least our 2 boys have different lawyers, then factor in that they will be more focused on their liberty than the state of Ulster's season and suddenly the following season rolls around like a bad fu'cking penny and the omnishambles just keeps rolling along.

Meanwhile I will have emigrated and my number if decks will have diminished.

So there you have the expert view from George Best Airport in the eastern burbs of Belshaft. See some of you at Spanners the first week I get back.
You held up by my plane breaking down on the runway earlier?

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Tender wrote:I'm quite looking forward to the Q Radio Ashton announcing Lealiifano...It'll make his first attempt at Charles PeeOnToe sound like Sir Ian McKellan reading from King Lear.

My guess is most supporters will simply call him Christian, apart from those West Terrace rabble, who'll likely call him Lily.
Lee lea fano is the current hot name combination on the Falls

Wee lee lea fano murphy is just like his daddy

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:
Dave wrote:I was thinking about posting something about fans being realistic about their expectations and we can't expect to sign a quality ten at this stage bla bla bla. Then I remembered why expectations were so high. Our CEO, stated that they had been looking throughout the past year for another flyhalf. This time last year Christian Leali'ifanlo was diagnosed with leukemia. I'd very much doubt that he was on the 'radar'. This is a last minute opportunistic deal that probably fell into UR's lap. Shane Warren Gatland must go.

I am assuming Logan was trying to say that UR have not been naive about the whole situation and hence started looking at last summer when they became aware of it. However, i honestly think ulster's position was extremely difficult Ierms of planning. Let's face it, there have been accusations of similar crimes before involving sports people/celebrities which have got into the media and then nothing further ever happened. Whilst planning for the worst makes sense in a lot of ways, would D4 have sanctioned a top replacement a year ago when they knew about it? I doubt it. They would not have wanted ulster to have an expensive top class 10 competing with Jacko if he was available this season. We would all love to have Beauden Barrett or the like for the pro12 games at the start, but we were never going to be allowed to sign a top class 10 with pj around. Imagine the uproar if we had spent all of our money on one and then he was competing with jacko whilst we had no funds to boost the forward pack.

So whilst can see why Logie said they have been looking at it from a year ago, i tnk the reality in practical terms of knowing what they could offer and likely role/gametime etc would have been a difficult one.

However the PJ back up question regardkess of this matter is a subject which has been out there for a year now, since Ruan's departure was known. Cooney has huge shoes to fill and at the minute seems to be our best choice at 9,10 and goal kicking. No pressure on the guy, when if he just played 9 with no goal kicking pressure and was decent we should all be delighted.

As i have said elsewhere, we need to invest in future options at 10, even if that means dropping down a level to get regular gametime there.
Sensible post Bart. I agree with what you are saying. It is a shitstorm of a scenario. What annoys me is how Logan comes out with this crap about radars and year long searches. The fact that Leali'ifanlo is available, and happens to have an ex-Ulster agent, might suggest a mixture of pure chance and a mutual solution that all parties were seeking. If he came out and said we were caught a bit cold or we are doing our best to sort something, I'd have more respect for him.

I think when the dust settles we will be very happy to have Christian here and it will give us time to sort another temp from Feb-June.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
I think when the dust settles we will be very happy to have Christian here and it will give us time to sort another temp from Feb-June.
Indeed Dave.
Couple of weeks back when we were talking about Keatley and various callow youths to slot in for Paddy. We would have bitten Byrn's arm of for a player of this quality to come in, even short term.
He's absolutely quality and obviously cleared to play again by the medics. It could have been better with a full year, but let's face it, there's a whole lot that could have been better about this sorry situation.
pg106
Initiate

Post by pg106 »

Dave wrote:
Bart S wrote:

Sensible post Bart. I agree with what you are saying. It is a shitstorm of a scenario. What annoys me is how Logan comes out with this crap about radars and year long searches. The fact that Leali'ifanlo is available, and happens to have an ex-Ulster agent, might suggest a mixture of pure chance and a mutual solution that all parties were seeking. If he came out and said we were caught a bit cold or we are doing our best to sort something, I'd have more respect for him.

The way I read into Logan's remark about the radar and year long search is that Ulster have been keeping track of what 10s are available in the market in order to be able to act if/when things went up sh1t creek, as they have done.

I don't think UR would have been able to sort a signing out as quickly as they have if they hadn't been monitoring availability. UR were put into a tough situation with this sh1tstorm. I think it tells a story that it was the IRFU that released the press release to the public with no official comment from UR, other than Logan's response to the questioning in the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
Bart S wrote:

Total agreement with you both there including the Feb to June scenario though I am not convinced by the previous mutterings of searches that anyone will bother till mid January with that instead of sounding out every 10 who is working in Japan at present and also any Brumbies players who may fancy heading North, also the deadline for 3 year project players approaches and should be pretty high on the adgenda as well
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best