Piutau to Bristol

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Piutau to Bristol

Post by rumncoke »

Can't say that Charlie was a high enough profile player to add greatly to season ticket sales at a time when anyone with brains could see that with out a back row Ulster would struggle away from home .
At the time of his signing Ulster had or appeared to have amble cover for the back three but virtually none at half back and back row

As a player he excites but failed ,on occasion, to finish or enable others to finish what he started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I think Rum summed up Charles exactly in his last sentence.
He is exciting but at times seems to lack committment.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Only ire I have is his propensity to lose interest for a part or all of a game. His stats are undeniable though Charles decides when to turn it on and when not to bother.

A smashing talent no doubt, but if he were being released a year early to make space for a more needing role then there wouldn't be many complaints. After all, we will spend the second half of the season (once its officially over) not using him fully while we approach games with an eye on next year.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

ColinM wrote:Only ire I have is his propensity to lose interest for a part or all of a game. His stats are undeniable though Charles decides when to turn it on and when not to bother.

A smashing talent no doubt, but if he were being released a year early to make space for a more needing role then there wouldn't be many complaints. After all, we will spend the second half of the season (once its officially over) not using him fully while we approach games with an eye on next year.
Didn't see that meself Colin but open to correction. Against Munster he seemed to amble back when they scored but later it was revealed that he shipped a nasty hip injury, which made it understandable.

He often cut a lonely figure out on the wing, getting FA ball. When the opposition sides figured out that we had zero ball carriers in the pack they spread the defence out, minimising the space out wide. When he had little room to manoeuvre and simply carried into contact, and made more ground than the forwards.

He's not a flawless individual but like you say, he would be the first to go if we had to ship an NIQ. That's not a reflection of his ability but of our needs.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Agree with Dave here ... Many a game I was wondering is he not quite fit (nursing and injury) or just feckin bored out of his skull scratching his swingers while we toiled away in vain in the pack making just about zero ground.

He is a cracking player a superb Wing and a decent Full back ... but IMHO a wasted investment. Sounds like a really dead on guy who I don't doubt will try his best for us ... hope we can give him some ball to display his now meagre looking salary of 500k a year!!!!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Aird wrote:He is exciting but at times seems to lack committment.
Watch what happens when someone (me?) says exactly the same thing about Craig Gilroy, who had a genuinely terrible season and achieved nothing of note in an Ulster jersey...

Honestly, judging Piutau's commitment based on Ulster's season last year is pretty absurd. Given how gash Ulster were for large parts of the season, and the apparent desire to play rugby without the ball, that Piutau still came near the top of most of the "exciting stuff" stats is close to a bloody miracle. If he was bored or lacking commitment, to be honest, I could hardly blame him. At the same time, there is no particular evidence to my eyes that he demonstrated less commitment or a worse attitude than a large number of other Ulster players last season.

That Piutau is leaving, that he'll be getting paid a vast sum of money, and that it has been announced super early (again) seem to make it easy to point the finger at him. None of this, not least the timing of the announcement, are Piutau's fault. Perhaps pointing the finger where it should be pointed, rather than at Piutau, for these issues would make more sense? Even if one accepts that Piutau (and others) lacked commitment last season, we should surely be calling out the management and leadership structures that allow players to show such a lack of commitment more than any one player...
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Piutau is the best player in the pro14, anyone who says we won't miss him should work their bake up their ringpiece.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I really thought Charlie would have went back to NZ to have a bash at the next RWC after a couple of years good cash at Ulster. Bit of shame that a young player of such high quality won't be seen on the big stage but such is modern-day rugby.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

They shafted him. Don't blame him. Cash in the chips and live a proper life, Charlie.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:They shafted him. Don't blame him. Cash in the chips and live a proper life, Charlie.
That would be my thought, £2 million in the bank or possibly get a game or 2 with the All Blacks when your next game could be your last I know which I would pick.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

All blacks like their wingers to be able to pass and kick. Even savea has got dumped for the championship.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

againstthehead wrote:I really thought Charlie would have went back to NZ to have a bash at the next RWC after a couple of years good cash at Ulster. Bit of shame that a young player of such high quality won't be seen on the big stage but such is modern-day rugby.
Look at the back 3 options in NZ.
Charles is taking the money rather than going back to try and displace some of the incumbents.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I was reading today that Charlie is from a pretty big family who have been through some tough times so fair play to him. Looks like he's trying to get as much cash as possible to spread across the family and get them out of genuine hardship (literally sleeping on garage floors). I guess if you divide a million quid by 10 or more, it ain't so crazy anymore and with a short career these guys still need to be pretty sensible.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

He's not good enough to guarantee himself an AB spot.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Why announce a signing a year in advance? It's a nonsense.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999