Piutau to Bristol

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Piutau to Bristol

Post by Cornerfleg »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Nae F#cks given when he was announced, none when he eventually played, even less now he's going. Money better spent elsewhere. Ludik, in contrast, and before he shat in Les's baseball cap, was the bargain of the century,and has contributed twice as much. FOCP
Preach brother preach. Ludi hopefully will get more game time this season.... Stieny mk2 sublime player who scores a huge 10 on my feckometer.

Charlie I hope will give us something approaching 500k a year value for money, good lad but at the end of the day an ulster player not an ulsterman. Gimme a Ludi any day.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:I know BOD isn't thought of very highly here but his Tweet on the subject is funny

Capture.JPG
For me Scrumptious, he ranks right up there with Nucifora as a horrible ballix, however, given we announced Charless's arrival a year and a half in advance, there is a neat symmetry in announcing his departure a year and more in advance. In which case I will allow one crooked gubbed sneer at his shout.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Last year we had the cluster ballix announcement that St P was evicted by arsefoon Nuciballix... If Charlie scores every game this season I will applaud but rest assured we will not see him bang the badge and salute the crowd like the blessed one did.

In 3 years I predict the new fan Base will have forgotten who Charlie was....

Not so much Ruan or Muller....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

World's highest paid player. He has some agent.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

shamalicious wrote:World's highest paid player. He has some agent.

And supported by BT Sport
Even if he cant pass, kick or be bothered to track back

Still none of that makes a highlight reel

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... er-1m-per/

Million a year regardless if Bristol go up or not. Crazy.
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

For a man who cant pass or kick or be bothered to track back that's not bad

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Frankly no great loss. At first I thought he was great but as the season progressed I became increasingly disappointed. He did not perform the way he did at Wasps and increasingly looked if he could not be bothered.
He was not really a team player. He tried to do it all on his own and failed to pass when an opening was staring him in the face. Admittedly he made some great try saving tackles but frankly give me Ludik anytime. He is a true Ulster man that Charles never was or never would be.
The pay he is getting is ludicrous for someone who is in no way a world class player. Time will tell and while I wish him every success I think as time goes on Bristol will wonder if he is worth the money thrown at him. And by the way this is not sour grapes.
The money released will enable us to make some worthwhile signings for next year.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I read on bakebook that this has been coming since we let Brian McLaughlin go. So there you have it.

Anyway back on topic, he could go now and no decks would be given.

A mercenary, a selfish player, a luxury player you could add to a hard working and winning team, not one we wanted or needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Some of the language suddenly used towards Piutau is nothing short of disgraceful. Really, it is not the player's fault that he arrived in the most ridiculous set of circumstances; that he didn't match Ulster's needs; and that he spent an entire season playing in a team going backwards. I don't, at all, get the ire that the player is now facing. What Ulster were getting should have been obvious to anyone who'd seen Piutau play before. That he wasn't what Ulster needed means ire should be directed at whoever made the decision to bring him to Belfast, not the player himself.

Otherwise, what's been said here is spot on. Piutau is a player in a position where Ulster were comparatively strong. Why a decision was taken to sign him, I'm not sure but it was not made dispassionately by looking at the gaps in quality around Ulster's squad. The real concern here is not that he is leaving; it is that he was ever signed in the first place. Lit up a terrible season from time to time last season. Been a joy to watch at times. But phased by his leaving only because of apparent nastiness of people's reaction to it. Good luck to him.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

bangorboy wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... er-1m-per/

Quote - "Ryan Constable, a director of Esportif International, the agency that struck the deal with Bristol, refused to comment on the figures of the deal but admitted that rugby union was moving further towards a business model where players are signed not only to perform on the pitch but also boost the club’s profile and commercial value". 

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

jean valjean wrote:
bangorboy wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... er-1m-per/

Quote - "Ryan Constable, a director of Esportif International, the agency that struck the deal with Bristol, refused to comment on the figures of the deal but admitted that rugby union was moving further towards a business model where players are signed not only to perform on the pitch but also boost the club’s profile and commercial value". 

Sure that was the reason he was signed by Ulster, feck all to do with actual team needs.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Neil F wrote:Some of the language suddenly used towards Piutau is nothing short of disgraceful. Really, it is not the player's fault that he arrived in the most ridiculous set of circumstances; that he didn't match Ulster's needs; and that he spent an entire season playing in a team going backwards. I don't, at all, get the ire that the player is now facing. What Ulster were getting should have been obvious to anyone who'd seen Piutau play before. That he wasn't what Ulster needed means ire should be directed at whoever made the decision to bring him to Belfast, not the player himself.

Otherwise, what's been said here is spot on. Piutau is a player in a position where Ulster were comparatively strong. Why a decision was taken to sign him, I'm not sure but it was not made dispassionately by looking at the gaps in quality around Ulster's squad. The real concern here is not that he is leaving; it is that he was ever signed in the first place. Lit up a terrible season from time to time last season. Been a joy to watch at times. But phased by his leaving only because of the apparent nastiness of people's reaction to it. Good luck to him.

Well said Neil, there should be no animosity towards Charless, none of his actions is anywhere near the source of our problems. The fact is that he is talented but not a one man team. He will not go down as a great Ulster player largely because we had too many problems and let nobody forget that we spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to make him a full back, wasting the talents not just of Piutau but of Louis Ludik, a smashing player and very good fullback.

FOLK.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:Last year we had the cluster ballix announcement that St P was evicted by arsefoon Nuciballix... If Charlie scores every game this season I will applaud but rest assured we will not see him bang the badge and salute the crowd like the blessed one did.

In 3 years I predict the new fan Base will have forgotten who Charlie was....

Not so much Ruan or Muller....
Correct.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Some pure shyte written about Charlie on this thread. He was a luxury of course, but at times he was worth the entrance fee alone. Although, well used for a luxury, considering the injuries sustained to back three players. He had some of the best stats in the pro 12 despite playing behind the worst pack.

I don't know why he has to be compared with Ludik, they played so well together. Against Glasgow (away) they absolutely destroyed their much vaunted backline. He's clearly not Ulster frew and frew enough, so fcuk off Puitau.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?