2017/18 Your Ulster Expectations

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

2017/18 Your Ulster Expectations

Post by UlsterNo9 »

At present this is the lowest expectation I have had for Ulster rugby in at least a decade, in some ways I feel a lot better coming into this season than I have others, my own attitude is very much come what may.

Upon reflection I don't have the notion that we should be winning the league this year or at least gaining a quarter final European Cup slot as a minimum, what I do want to see come the end of the season is progress on where we are now. Last season we finished finished bottom of our pool in the SDC and 5th in the Pro 12. If we can go one better in either I'll be happy, and this is why!

Off the pitch their have been three massive talking points in the form of a new coaching team, the SA teams joining the Pro12 and the other which I do not wish to mention. Two of these are very much so out of everyone that walks the corridors of Ravenhills control, certainly they can voice their opinion to the IRFU but ultimately it's D4 negotiating the league shake up.

What they could control is to freshen up the backroom staff. My own opinion is that Doak and Clarke were not terrible coaches and good luck to them in their future endeavors, as anyone who has played sport at any level can appreciate there is only so long you can listen to the same coaches cliches or soundbites before the effect wears off. We've hired nearly a whole new backroom coaching team (also filling the Barakat departure) in the form of Gibbes, Peel and Dundon. Gibbes CV speaks for itself and at still only 40 years of age seems to have achieved an incredible amount. He surely will bring a winning mentality and I hope harden our pack. Teams that he has played under also played an attractive style of rugby, therefore Mr Gibbes more of the same please fella.

It has been the Ulster way in recent years that the only opportunities for the youngsters come about when there is an injury crisis, we probably wouldn't have seen Ross Kane last year if only for that reason. At half back this year we really only have Paul Marshall for certain as an elder member of state, this for some bizarre reason excites me. Controversial I know, but I hope we sign nobody and lets take a real look at what we have.
We have brought in Cooney who is highly rated but has a history of injuries, he could potentially breakdown in the first game of the season never to be seen again. In Jack Maunder, Exeter (played vs Ulster away last season) and Arthur Retière, La Rochelle we watched two very exciting 19 year olds break onto the European stage last season in the 9 shirt. Maunder gaining an international cap at the end of the season. Paddy Jackson made his Ulster debut at just 19 and has held his place down since.
By the grumblings I hear we have an abundance of young talent at half back, opportunities in the face of adversity might just pay off. If this season is not going to be a success with regards to silverware lets try and build the foundations at half back for some in the future.

Looking forward to yet another French away trip and a cheeky historic trip to South Africa if it works out.

If nothing else and the season is a shambles hopefully it will get rid of some of the we are brill fair weather supporters.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: 2017/18 Your Ulster Expectations

Post by Tender »

I don't think there'll be a lot for the Fair Weather bakebookers to maintain their instant gratification lust, but we'll need to be in Zebre 2.0 before the Kardashian Event Crowd stop turning up for their instatwattbook fix.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

no.9 I agree with much of that but I caution you to be careful what you wish for. The biggest danger to Ulster beyond this season is a significant fall off in attendance so I fully understand the need for Ulster to cater for every sort of supporter, real supporter, genuine supporter, 50 year veteran, welthead, dickhead, wa'nkbag, bakebook clampit or common or garden fu'cktard. Come one come all, we need your money, is the rallying call to the wee province.

I see logic absolutely in looking at this season to blend in the promising youngster, not in gaggles in "pointless friendlies" but selectively both when it counts and when not so crucial.

Despite losing the masterful Ruan, unexpectedly, sort of, 10 is becoming the biggest issue and indeed it's not inconceivable that we could see beagle and Cooney in tandem fairly often.

Best we can hope is that we can get some realism off the pitch, understand that the SDC is just 6 fixtures to be fulfilled and make sure we get a league position that sees a more optimistic season next time out when Charles's is just a fleeting memory.

My biggest hope for the season is Jono making a pack out of what he has. I think he can, I even think Herbst and Ahfuc'k may come good :shock:

We will, of course, get every possible help from Dublin4 I'm quite certain >EW
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

so good I said it twice
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

UlsterNo9 wrote:At present this is the lowest expectation I have had for Ulster rugby in at least a decade, in some ways I feel a lot better coming into this season than I have others, my own attitude is very much come what may.

Upon reflection I don't have the notion that we should be winning the league this year or at least gaining a quarter final European Cup slot as a minimum, what I do want to see come the end of the season is progress on where we are now. Last season we finished finished bottom of our pool in the SDC and 5th in the Pro 12. If we can go one better in either I'll be happy, and this is why!

Off the pitch their have been three massive talking points in the form of a new coaching team, the SA teams joining the Pro12 and the other which I do not wish to mention. Two of these are very much so out of everyone that walks the corridors of Ravenhills control, certainly they can voice their opinion to the IRFU but ultimately it's D4 negotiating the league shake up.

What they could control is to freshen up the backroom staff. My own opinion is that Doak and Clarke were not terrible coaches and good luck to them in their future endeavors, as anyone who has played sport at any level can appreciate there is only so long you can listen to the same coaches cliches or soundbites before the effect wears off. We've hired nearly a whole new backroom coaching team (also filling the Barakat departure) in the form of Gibbes, Peel and Dundon. Gibbes CV speaks for itself and at still only 40 years of age seems to have achieved an incredible amount. He surely will bring a winning mentality and I hope harden our pack. Teams that he has played under also played an attractive style of rugby, therefore Mr Gibbes more of the same please fella.

It has been the Ulster way in recent years that the only opportunities for the youngsters come about when there is an injury crisis, we probably wouldn't have seen Ross Kane last year if only for that reason. At half back this year we really only have Paul Marshall for certain as an elder member of state, this for some bizarre reason excites me. Controversial I know, but I hope we sign nobody and lets take a real look at what we have.
We have brought in Cooney who is highly rated but has a history of injuries, he could potentially breakdown in the first game of the season never to be seen again. In Jack Maunder, Exeter (played vs Ulster away last season) and Arthur Retière, La Rochelle we watched two very exciting 19 year olds break onto the European stage last season in the 9 shirt. Maunder gaining an international cap at the end of the season. Paddy Jackson made his Ulster debut at just 19 and has held his place down since.
By the grumblings I hear we have an abundance of young talent at half back, opportunities in the face of adversity might just pay off. If this season is not going to be a success with regards to silverware lets try and build the foundations at half back for some in the future.

Looking forward to yet another French away trip and a cheeky historic trip to South Africa if it works out.

If nothing else and the season is a shambles hopefully it will get rid of some of the we are brill fair weather supporters.
Don't be silly- you can't give game time to young players. They're much too fragile. After all you don't want to hamper they're development by actually developing them.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think all our expectations took a nose dive last week. No team could recover from that. We have zero realistic chance of winning anything barring a miracle. Unless we can sign cover at 10 we're screwed.

I expect the pack to be better. With Jonno and the new signings. A full season for Coetzee. Treadwell beginning the season how he finished it. Hendo with his lions form.

Backline (11-15) remain Europe's best.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Without a 10 we are stuffed, that is all.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Without a 10 we are stuffed, that is all.
You think Mr Nucifora may make his countenance to shine upon us Snipe?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Think the Academy has improved.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

If the structure of Irish rugby means anything at all, our current situation must warrant some sort of help from D4. I don't know what but shirley the combined intellectual might, rugby nous and creative thinking of D4 and UR must be able to come up with something. I'm not thinking of something that will turn the season into a raging success but something that will enable us to bring some good out of the mess. Despite all of our cynicism there can't be nothing to try.
Actually, even a clear statement that we will use this season to blood new talent, with D4's active support would do.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Setanta wrote:Think the Academy has improved.
This year's academy looks very promising.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Dave wrote:
Setanta wrote:Think the Academy has improved.
This year's academy looks very promising.
Best age group for us in quite some time, even if we've lost one or two top prospects along the way. Let's see whether they can actually make something of them.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Think it is clearly a season for rebuilding and giving youth a chance. Two biggest hopes are Gibbes giving us a hard edge in the pack, and more youngsters getting game time. Hopefully no more below average imports, when injury strikes lets give the academy guys a chance.

Results wise expectations have to be low with such concerns at both halfback positions, not sure how it will play out.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Lurgan Lad wrote:Think it is clearly a season for rebuilding and giving youth a chance. Two biggest hopes are Gibbes giving us a hard edge in the pack, and more youngsters getting game time. Hopefully no more below average imports, when injury strikes lets give the academy guys a chance.

Results wise expectations have to be low with such concerns at both halfback positions, not sure how it will play out.
When does the "rebuilding " finish, getting a bit tiresome .
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:Think it is clearly a season for rebuilding and giving youth a chance. Two biggest hopes are Gibbes giving us a hard edge in the pack, and more youngsters getting game time. Hopefully no more below average imports, when injury strikes lets give the academy guys a chance.

When does the "rebuilding " finish, getting a bit tiresome .
Not sure when we have been rebuilding to be fair over the past few years? It has been more lets play the experienced guys and with so few from the academy making it it isn't as if we have been playing guys with the specific expectation that they will improve us long term.