Where did it all go wrong?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Where did it all go wrong?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Rooster wrote:I suppose if we go back to the original title of the thread the answer would be , totally unrealistic expectations fuelled by the CEO saying we would be best side in the world instead of going for a more achievable consistent top 3 of the league.
I don't recall the CEO ever saying we would be the best side in the world, despite it being oft repeated here. What he said many times was that we would aim to be the best side in the world, and that perhaps is indeed a proper target. (If I recall correctly, his reasoning was along the lines that you don't aim to conquer the foothills, but to reach the summit. That way if you fail to reach the foothills, you are rock bottom, but at least if you fail to reach the summit, you are still higher than most - I paraphrase of course).

I don't blame him for setting grand targets. Whether they were realistic is another matter.

As CT has pointed out though, he did express other targets, and we have fallen and are falling a long way short of those.
Grumps, that is the most blatant splitting of hairs I seen since a female policeman of my acquaintance did her "evenin' all" whilst wearing her birthday suit.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:To those that say give Kiss to Xmas you will simply be writing off another year in the debacle that is UR. If that happened and lets say Gibbes was given the gig we'd then write the of rest of the season off by that it was only fair to give Gibbes one more year with his own men in place and so it goes on and on. Got to stop now but of course it won't.. we beat Leinster and therefore the new season is rosy..
I believe I may have mentioned Kiss & Christmas Cockers but you misread me if you think I believe he should be "given until Christmas". For clarity, were it in my power I'd club him now like a seal pup. >threaten

All that said, I'd be amazed if he is gassed this side of Santy >santahullo
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Yep, methinks he'll unwrap some Ulster goodies from under his tree around the time we all celebrate the birth of a baby Kardashian.
The Meejah are slowly turning against St Vitas' imp but nobody here believes he'll go before the Crimbo Credit Card bills start dropping on the mat.
Dan Towie can fire wee balls from afar, but I can't see any of the current squad putting the heads above the parapet and Alster supporters aren't gonna do anything other than vent on here.
He does indeed need to FECK-AFF right now as by Crimbo we'll be floundering yet again.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

"Whatever plan we put together has to deliver Ulster being top of the pile in Ireland, Europe and indeed the world."

Capt, i admire your loyalty .
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I see Charles has been used to sell tickets for the BaaBaas game even though UR had no intention of letting him play

Misrepresentation?

Be interesting to see what happens to URPR now the head has decided to earn 23% less because she has chosen to have a child

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Is thon frenchie still playing his last ever game here on the hallow GAA turf that was once Ravenhill..

btw I thought this thread was the quote from our beloved George when laying in bed with two Miss Worlds.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Gerald the Mole wrote:"Whatever plan we put together has to deliver Ulster being top of the pile in Ireland, Europe and indeed the world."

Loyalty? :scratch:

Perhaps you have misinterpreted my post as defending him?

I simply stated that I heard him make several presentations during which had never heard him say what has often attributed to him, and stated what I did hear him say. Baggy seems to think that's splitting hairs,I disagree.

I recognise the quote you have supplied as a much later one that appeared in printed press, and which he does not appear to have challenged, so I ain't gonna argue either.

One thing I think most will agree on and which I have already acknowledged is that whatever plan he may or may not have had, or may or may not have stated, it ain't worked. It has failed. It appears to have as much life as a Norwegian Blue.

Now, maybe some will attribute that all to the CEO, others will attribute it to the coaches, others still to the players. I honestly haven't a clue how much responsibility rests on each component of that, but believe the largest part lies with the coaching staff, the coaching hierarchy and how that has been (mis)managed ..... and that goes all the way through various the head coaches and the Directors of Rugby at different times to the CEO. They have all played a role .... and some of them not very well at different stages.

Oh, and let's not forget the IRFU either. >#

But what would I know?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:"Whatever plan we put together has to deliver Ulster being top of the pile in Ireland, Europe and indeed the world."

Loyalty? :scratch:

Perhaps you have misinterpreted my post as defending him?

I simply stated that I heard him make several presentations during which had never heard him say what has often attributed to him, and stated what I did hear him say. Baggy seems to think that's splitting hairs,I disagree.

I recognise the quote you have supplied as a much later one that appeared in printed press, and which he does not appear to have challenged, so I ain't gonna argue either.

One thing I think most will agree on and which I have already acknowledged is that whatever plan he may or may not have had, or may or may not have stated, it ain't worked. It has failed. It appears to have as much life as a Norwegian Blue.

Now, maybe some will attribute that all to the CEO, others will attribute it to the coaches, others still to the players. I honestly haven't a clue how much responsibility rests on each component of that, but believe the largest part lies with the coaching staff, the coaching hierarchy and how that has been (mis)managed ..... and that goes all the way through various the head coaches and the Directors of Rugby at different times to the CEO. They have all played a role .... and some of them not very well at different stages.

Oh, and let's not forget the IRFU either. >#

But what would I know?
Just face it, nobody reads your posts. Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Grumps, I continue to believe that your report of Fit's words and the general mis/conception of what he has said are much the same, indeed, it fits into such a minute "ballpark of dis-ambiguity" (I believe I may have coined that, must google it, feel free to bring it into common usage. :lol: ) that you could roll it up and store it inside a matchbox.

That apart I agree with much of what you say and I too would determine coaching & the internecine warfare that has been part of that scene for a long time as main reasons we are a shambles. However, I'm sure the whole House will agree with me that it is not unreasonable to say that Fit could not possibly have been unaware of that strife and has turned his blind eye to it for far too long. For a CEO to allow such nonsense to fester under his nose is entirely unacceptable in any shape or form, it hints to me at an act of cowardice, not doing his job in sorting out a key area of the business he is charged with making flourish.

Anyone with a conscience would resign. >EW
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:Just face it, nobody reads your posts. Image
Take your pick from 2 possible responses to that:

A)Ten to six

or

B) and if they did, they'd probably misquote them anyway. >EW :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

A)Ten to six

or

B) and if they did, they'd probably misquote them anyway. >EW Image
I pick C.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Grumps, I continue to believe that your report of Fit's words and the general mis/conception of what he has said are much the same, indeed, it fits into such a minute "ballpark of dis-ambiguity" (I believe I may have coined that, must google it, feel free to bring it into common usage. :lol: ) that you could roll it up and store it inside a matchbox.
Nice turn of phrase there. :thumleft:

We'll agree to disagree on the other bit ... at least i will agree if you will. ....... but before we do, I will add that the fact that he included a "failure clause" in his targets, or more like the way that he did so, suggests to me that he never "promised" to reach them. In fact, they don't suggest - they say specifically that he never expected toreach that particular one (world domination). Of course he should be held accountable for failure to reach other more achievable targets, as I have already stated.
BaggyTrousers wrote:That apart I agree with much of what you say and I too would determine coaching & the internecine warfare that has been part of that scene for a long time as main reasons we are a shambles. However, I'm sure the whole House will agree with me that it is not unreasonable to say that Fit could not possibly have been unaware of that strife and has turned his blind eye to it for far too long. For a CEO to allow such nonsense to fester under his nose is entirely unacceptable in any shape or form, it hints to me at an act of cowardice, not doing his job in sorting out a key area of the business he is charged with making flourish.
Which is why I said "and that goes all the way through various the head coaches and the Directors of Rugby at different times to the CEO"
BaggyTrousers wrote:Anyone with a conscience would resign. >EW
One wouldn't presume to comment. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

A)Ten to six

or

I pick C.
You're a pixie? :shock:
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

A)Ten to six

or

I pick C.
You're a pixie? :shock:
Fairy nuff
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Good work Dave, brings us neatly back to Fairytales, which our CEO spouts continually.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.