Remembering Ruan

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Re: Remembering Ruan

Post by Wee Woman »

I'm a broken woman after his watching his interview with the BBC .

You must have a heart of stone if you can't see and appreciate what this place meant to Ruan and his family.

The FIRFU's treatment of him is unforgivable.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Tell me I wasn't the only one with a wee dampness round the eyes tonight. You couldn't have written that script. Roger scores and MOTM and Ruan puts in the most sublime cross field kick for AAT's try and we actually hold out to beat the Mexicans. A bit of a Hollywood ending.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Aye, but what succession? Ruan has held us back.

Nucifora, you're as dumb as that dumb feck Rum'n.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
MARB
Novice

Post by MARB »

Once in a generation or even longer- you get to witness and appreciate what you know will be referred to in years as a true stalwart of the province. A legend whom you have the privilege to watch control a game and the 14 players around him. All too often I have stood in amazement and watches Ruan Piennar repeat this feat. Time, after time, after time.

NIQ's is a bit of a funny topic for me personally. Something doesn't wash with the thought of a player come over here purely for the financial gain and happy to play us along like fools. Like we are just a stop-gap club who will be a forgotten memory in a few years time...maybe when you're playing for, say, Gloucester...ahem. Players like Afoa, Charlie et al. I have thoroughly enjoyed having them
but to me, they will never be what we all crave as supporters; a player who we can say is a true Ulstermam.

I remember my sheer excitement when Ruan was announced. This turned to the usual doubts of ''How could he enjoy playing at our ground which pales into insignificance compared to the likes of Ellis Park? It was a complete venture into the unknown for Ruan and his wife. From his first game against Glasgow scoring the try off the scrum and nailing the conversion- you just knew this man was special, cut from a different cloth from the rest, this was a man who was a product of the most prodigious rugby school in Safferland, had numerous caps for the Boks and was an integral part of the Sharks team.

Over the years I had the pleasure of meeting Ruan several times. What struck me was the sheer politeness and humbleness he displayed. Each time he would remember me from a previous occasion. He would come up and chat and spoke with my kids who were in complete awe at meeting their rugby hero.

Now onto the rugby...I have been following this province for countless years (probably too many, old fart) and I have never witnessed a player who could grab a game by the scruff and control it, he was a true Master of Puppets. Performances such as Glasgow at Firhill, our first win at Parc y Scarlets in such dramatic fashion, the unforgettable Thomond HEC and the subsequent semi at the Aviva. 'That' game at Welford Road, which was truly unforgettable. The way he reacted to the loss against Sarcena at Paynegate. The love he had for this club cannot be underestimated. Turning down the galactic is of Toulon to stay with our pokey little club dotted in a small country...it says a lot about the measure of the man.

I am by non means religious however having a few friends who are, they too speak about the genuine humble nature of Ruan and how he spoke for his love of NI.

Watching that today whilst stuck in work I had a lump in my threat, this was a player who gave his all every time he put on the jersey in bits over having to leave. This is someone who have given me and I'm sure every single member of this Forum, unforgettable memories of not only his time in Ulster. But in all of your days following Ulster.

But anyway, back to my point re: NIQ's not buying in to the 'Ulster Way'...well, I think it's safe to say, although born and bread on the pitches of South Africa- Ruan Piennar is a true Ulsterman through and through, and will be held in the highest of regards of fans of this province for a long, long time,

Anyway, back to the pints. Feck the IRFU, feck Nucifora.
"I would never bow to the knees of an opponent. I was never prepared to give second best to him and I'm sure that is the trait of a true Ulsterman."

Willie John McBride
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

MARB, I salute you sir.

I have a few off field encounters with Ruan, some of which are personal and I treasure as lovely memories.

He was/is a one off. A genuinely good human being, who also happened to be amongst the best rugby players I have ever watched.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Lump in my throat MARB, simply because it is true.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Nucifora is a banker. There, I said it.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Stand Up for the Ulsterman.Image

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Rick Lutton, will also be missed
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Gerald the Mole wrote:Rick Lutton, will also be missed
One performance in 4 years

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
leedsexile
Novice

Post by leedsexile »

MARB wrote:Once in a generation or even longer- you get to witness and appreciate what you know will be referred to in years as a true stalwart of the province. A legend whom you have the privilege to watch control a game and the 14 players around
I am by non means religious however having a few friends who are, they too speak about the genuine humble nature of Ruan and how he spoke for his love of NI.

Watching that today whilst stuck in work I had a lump in my threat, this was a player who gave his all every time he put on the jersey in bits over having to leave. This is someone who have given me and I'm sure every single member of this Forum, unforgettable ..............
MARB

you sum it up beautifully and filled me up again
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

solidarity wrote:Anyone else got a favourite Ruan moment? Here's mine. It's from the days when we were a... what do you call it...... hold on I'll remember in a minute... oh yes... a rugby team.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n8KohOhVTYc

I've watched it dozens of times. The commentator's wee laugh just adds the icing.
Just watched that - excellent :red: :fleg: what about that Marshall fella with the acceleration and sidestep? Is he any relation to Luke Marshall who now takes the ball into the nearest contact at every occasion?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
exile-fer-now
Novice

Post by exile-fer-now »

MARB totally agree - an UlsterMan thoo an thoo.

Russ - even if I agreed with you (which I dont) - it's one more than you'll ever achieve in your tiny life.

Ruan mentioned all of the leavers as team-mates and compatriots - he is a special man.

IRFU are a disgrace to this legend, true gentleman and role model.

Ruan - thanks for everything !
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

exile-fer-now wrote:MARB totally agree - an UlsterMan thoo an thoo.

Russ - even if I agreed with you (which I dont) - it's one more than you'll ever achieve in your tiny life.

Ruan mentioned all of the leavers as team-mates and compatriots - he is a special man.

IRFU are a disgrace to this legend, true gentleman and role model.

Ruan - thanks for everything !
What have I done now?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

MARB wrote:Once in a generation or even longer- you get to witness and appreciate what you know will be referred to in years as a true stalwart of the province. A legend whom you have the privilege to watch control a game and the 14 players around him. All too often I have stood in amazement and watches Ruan Piennar repeat this feat. Time, after time, after time.

NIQ's is a bit of a funny topic for me personally. Something doesn't wash with the thought of a player come over here purely for the financial gain and happy to play us along like fools. Like we are just a stop-gap club who will be a forgotten memory in a few years time...maybe when you're playing for, say, Gloucester...ahem. Players like Afoa, Charlie et al. I have thoroughly enjoyed having them
but to me, they will never be what we all crave as supporters; a player who we can say is a true Ulstermam.

I remember my sheer excitement when Ruan was announced. This turned to the usual doubts of ''How could he enjoy playing at our ground which pales into insignificance compared to the likes of Ellis Park? It was a complete venture into the unknown for Ruan and his wife. From his first game against Glasgow scoring the try off the scrum and nailing the conversion- you just knew this man was special, cut from a different cloth from the rest, this was a man who was a product of the most prodigious rugby school in Safferland, had numerous caps for the Boks and was an integral part of the Sharks team.

Over the years I had the pleasure of meeting Ruan several times. What struck me was the sheer politeness and humbleness he displayed. Each time he would remember me from a previous occasion. He would come up and chat and spoke with my kids who were in complete awe at meeting their rugby hero.

Now onto the rugby...I have been following this province for countless years (probably too many, old fart) and I have never witnessed a player who could grab a game by the scruff and control it, he was a true Master of Puppets. Performances such as Glasgow at Firhill, our first win at Parc y Scarlets in such dramatic fashion, the unforgettable Thomond HEC and the subsequent semi at the Aviva. 'That' game at Welford Road, which was truly unforgettable. The way he reacted to the loss against Sarcena at Paynegate. The love he had for this club cannot be underestimated. Turning down the galactic is of Toulon to stay with our pokey little club dotted in a small country...it says a lot about the measure of the man.

Watching that today whilst stuck in work I had a lump in my threat, this was a player who gave his all every time he put on the jersey in bits over having to leave. This is someone who have given me and I'm sure every single member of this Forum, unforgettable memories of not only his time in Ulster. But in all of your days following Ulster.

But anyway, back to my point re: NIQ's not buying in to the 'Ulster Way'...well, I think it's safe to say, although born and bread on the pitches of South Africa- Ruan Piennar is a true Ulsterman through and through, and will be held in the highest of regards of fans of this province for a long, long time,

Loving your work MARB, a handsome suite of words there, would have been happy to have written that myself.

I had a sniff of a rumour that he really wasn't fit and that it would be a quick 10/15 minutes then off to rapturous applause. Then he threw himself into the game with similar disregard for his health as Our Roger.

In Roger's case I was very happy for him to put in that performance, a great last hurrah from on of the most durable tough ould ballixes in rugby in these parts but Roger was at peace knowing well himself that it's time to hang up the boots.

Ruan a very different situation, victim of an astoundingly bad decision that almost every pundit has criticised, a man who has shown extraordinary loyalty at the expense of his wallet, a man who very clearly was heartbroken with the decision yet has got his head down for the season and said next to nothing critical, only recently admitting jealously at the contrasting treatment of Nasty Nacewa who swans in and out of Leinster according to his whim & he 1-2 years older than Ruan.

Like you MARB I was at choking point as he was leaving the pitch, struggling to maintain a stiff upper lip, a wee quiver to the nether lip, in danger of greetin' like a bairn.

This phrase often sounds heavy with hyperbole, but trust me, we will never see his likes again.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.