A penny for Mark McCalls thoughts!

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

A penny for Mark McCalls thoughts!

Post by kingofthehill »

scrum5 wrote:Agreed but it also helps when you disregard the salary cap..... >EW
11 English men in the starting team from Saturday if you include Barrett.

Rhodes
Maitland
Bosch
Koch

Rhodes and Koch(i think) are now English qualified or close to it.

Salary cap or not that's impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: A penny for Mark McCalls thoughts!

Post by UlsterNo9 »

McCall didn't inherit a world class squad. He has built one and attracted players not just with money but selling also the culture he has created. Saracens players all adore and respect him.

You only have to look at Toulon this season to prove money does not equal success. Clermont-Ferrand have a crazy 30 million euro wage bill, they should be picking up silverware every year but don't. What's the wage bill at Toulouse?

There's far much more at Saracens than money. Well done McCall.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

UlsterNo9 wrote:McCall didn't inherit a world class squad. He has built one and attracted players not just with money but selling also the culture he has created. Saracens players all adore and respect him.

You only have to look at Toulon this season to prove money does not equal success. Clermont-Ferrand have a crazy 30 million euro wage bill, they should be picking up silverware every year but don't. What's the wage bill at Toulouse?

There's far much more at Saracens than money. Well done McCall.
Agreed. The fact these days he doesn't insist on picking Kieran Dawson every week also helps.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This is nonsense about us needing an Ulster coach. McCall has done much much better since leaving. Maybe it just doesn't work.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

We absolutely do not "need" an ulster coach. I think the ulster experience plus working under someone like Venter at Saracens helped McCall obtain a certain toughness when required which i don't think he had at ulster. Coaching players he used to play with didn't help the situation.

Cullen at Leinster and the deoarted Axel both found similar transitions from playing to cahcing tough, even though they were helped by having legendary status at their respective provinces. I know McCall was Solly's assistant but there were times when he could have done with similar experienced support as Erasmus and Lancaster have provided. Although as Dave says, maybe things were just not meant to work out for hmi at that stage of his coaching career.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

Bart S wrote:We absolutely do not "need" an ulster coach. I think the ulster experience plus working under someone like Venter at Saracens helped McCall obtain a certain toughness when required which i don't think he had at ulster. Coaching players he used to play with didn't help the situation.

Cullen at Leinster and the deoarted Axel both found similar transitions from playing to cahcing tough, even though they were helped by having legendary status at their respective provinces. I know McCall was Solly's assistant but there were times when he could have done with similar experienced support as Erasmus and Lancaster have provided. Although as Dave says, maybe things were just not meant to work out for hmi at that stage of his coaching career.
No Bart, he was undermined at every turn by arsehats. He is a gentleman, but was stabbed in the back by gutless assholes with inflated egos. That is what happened.
There can be only one
exile-fer-now
Novice

Post by exile-fer-now »

[quote="Bart S"]We absolutely do not "need" an ulster coach. I think the ulster experience plus working under someone like Venter at Saracens helped McCall obtain a certain toughness when required which i don't think he had at ulster. Coaching players he used to play with didn't help the situation.

Cullen at Leinster and the deoarted Axel both found similar transitions from playing to cahcing tough, even though they were helped by having legendary status at their respective provinces. I know McCall was Solly's assistant but there were times when he could have done with similar experienced support as Erasmus and Lancaster have provided. Although as Dave says, maybe things were just not meant to work out for hmi at that stage of his career

We may not need an UlsterMan to be DoR or Head Coach or Captain. But we need them to integrate in to our Ulster culture like Johann, like Ruan and lead it forward ...... not kill it dead !

But what happens if someone comes in and treats the coaches (who have worn the shirt with pride) like dirt ?

What if they put short-term self-interest and self-promotion in front of the Team ?

What if they decide to impose their (or Schmidt's) playing style come what may because that's what suits them and is their comfort-zone not the players' ?

What if they scapegoat the coaches and some of the players ?

Who are they trying to impress ? The players ? The supporters ? D4 ? What are they building, except their own career ?

Mark McCall has built a team/club first. The players and coaches are a tight unit where TRUST and RESPECT are critical. No doubt he learnt from his experience and it toughened him. But his players still play with heart and soul .... not just skill.

No9 is right about Culture. I live in hope that Gibbes/Peel can help us play good rugby and bring the team together but I'd be far more confident if it was alongside a guy that understands and cares about Ulster Rugby.

Bryn - get in McCall or DH or Jeremy Davidson or do it yourself ? Alternatively appoint Gibbes as DoR and sign up Rory or Doak again if he's not already gone .......... but get rid of Bouncer. Not fit to wear the bib (never mind shirt).
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

It's painful to admit that the Sorries are feckin awesome. A team full of hateful feckers who'd run through walls for each other and just don't know when they're beaten. Just the right amount of evil running throughout the squad and talent to burn.
Doubtless they'll miss Fixodent when he goes to France, but they'll have someone better lined up to replace him.

Ulster will take a little time to get to that level, but we're working hard in training and looking at how to eradicate those mistakes. We're always on the lookout for the right type of player and if his knees look dodgy, we'll break the bank to get him onto our treatment table and to get Ulster back to the top of World Rugby...sorry, I went a bit corporate there.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Tighter End wrote:It's painful to admit that the Sorries are feckin awesome. A team full of hateful feckers who'd run through walls for each other and just don't know when they're beaten. Just the right amount of evil running throughout the squad and talent to burn.
Doubtless they'll miss Fixodent when he goes to France, but they'll have someone better lined up to replace him.

Ulster will take a little time to get to that level, but we're working hard in training and looking at how to eradicate those mistakes. We're always on the lookout for the right type of player and if his knees look dodgy, we'll break the bank to get him onto our treatment table and to get Ulster back to the top of World Rugby...sorry, I went a bit corporate there.
Not one of the players they have that I dislike.

Ashton annoys people because he does a swan dive.......who cares.

Farrell annoys people because he seems arrogant.......to me he comes across like a quiet fella who loves rugby and happens to be absolutely superb at the sport he loves.

People don't like them because they have a cracking side and other clubs fans feel they don't deserve it based on their fan base.

Mind you I want clermont to beat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I asked solly before he left if McCall would make a good coach and he said he would be excellent. The thing about McCall was he had brains and knew how to win .His weakness was he was a back and the players who gave him problems were forwards and then like now few blamed the players and everyone blamed the coach .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Tighter End wrote:It's painful to admit that the Sorries are feckin awesome. A team full of hateful feckers who'd run through walls for each other and just don't know when they're beaten. Just the right amount of evil running throughout the squad and talent to burn.

Are you Shane Logan by any chance ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:

Are you Shane Logan by any chance ?
I only said he was naff :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Now that we all love Sarries, I've heard that they have a great all round personal development system for their players, helping them with social issues now and their future after rugby.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote:Now that we all love Sarries, I've heard that they have a great all round personal development system for their players, helping them with social issues now and their future after rugby.
I believe Mark McCall had such a programme in place at Ulster before he left.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Barista lessons!
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.