Season Ticket - Renewing or Not

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Season Ticket - Renewing or Not

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Deraless wrote:Do you think if the PR team just announced Ruan was staying then ignored it some people might not notice until next season when they realise he's not hear for the first match?
There are still some who turn out for one or two "big" matches a year who think Davy Humphreys is still playing ...... and can't understand why he isn't getting named as man of the match! :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Deraless wrote:Do you think if the PR team just announced Ruan was staying then ignored it some people might not notice until next season when they realise he's not hear for the first match?
There are still some who turn out for one or two "big" matches a year who think Davy Humphreys is still playing ...... and can't understand why he isn't getting named as man of the match! :roll:
Most,,are members of URSC
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
I had to tell one recently that he's now playing 10 for Glaws. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Tighter End wrote:Oh feck me pink. I really thought I'd never experience the level of gurning I encountered whilst following Glentoran, but you lot have raised the bar to doped-up Olympic levels.
Be honest man! If you endured being a fan of Belfast's "Wee One", then the fare provided by UR at Ravers must seem incredibly exciting and enjoyable. Sure you'd probably pay a fortune and a half just to avoid the Oval (designed and unbuilt by Luftwaffe plc).
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I still attend the bomb crater and poor as it is, a part of me will always be Glentoran and that pride still exists, knowing we were never funded by the IFA (since 1911 and counting) and the religious bigotry which still poisons that shower and the National (Joke) Stadium, isn't found at the crumbling East Belfast stadium. The home of the Billy Boys was a great choice for 'The National Stadium'. 'Twas the work of great minds, but heh-ho swings and roundabouts, if all the dosh had been spent out where those Champion Slimming World participants won their fame, Spanners wouldn't have been revamped and Bakebookers would have nowhere to go on Friday nights.
Did I mention I feckin hate bigots and bluemen? My aul lad was a bluedog and we get on great since the Kunt died.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
:shock:

How do you know that? :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Tighter End, I could write an essay why the IFA had no choice but to keep doing deals with Linfield, but at the end of the day it was because the Linfield club had the foresight to buy a huge amount of land and build the biggest stadium. Actually I'm a bit sad about the Glentoran plight at the moment but it's largely the fault of a bunch of directors who sometimes seem to not always have the best interest of the club in mind. >EW

My father played for and supported the Glens all of his life, but luckily I became one of the Wise Men from the East. (And I don't mean there were only 3 of us).

Regarding sectarianism, you are sadly talking bs about the Oval. Virtually every club in the Irish League suffers from it. Thankfully it has improved everywhere and I suggest you look up the comments from the likes of Dessie Gorman and Pat Fenlon about their time at the Blues.

Having said all this, I have been at one Linfield game in 7 years. Gone on to higher standard now. :D
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Simples, their URSC badge tends to give it away .
Gary
Chancellor to the King

Post by Gary »

As a URSC member, I would point out that David Humphries (sic) is our no. 10. He's a great out-back or whatever you call it.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

G
They bought the swamp in 1905 and only after many years of IFA funding was it turned into a stadium ( South Stand built), as for the bigotry I offer David Jeffrey... a man who spouted moon howler nonsense while leading the choruses of The Billy Boys and all post Fenlon and Gorman.
They made their first significant post war singing of a Roman Catholic player after their then sponsor threatened to pull the pin. They still feel the need to inform us that there's a chapel on the Newtownards Road and it's for all us Fenian Barstewards... I speak from experience my friend. My Da, his brothers and many of my cousins are all bigots and bluemen. They see no reason to hide it.
You should go and see yer aul mates when they play at Solitude, it's still ingrained in them.
Yes, all clubs have a degree of bigotry, but the bluedogs are in a class apart. I was raised to be a bigot and until I extracted myself from the family responsible in my early teens, I knew nothing else. An Education at a good Rugby playing school saved me and set me on the path of righteousness (Onslow Patsde).
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Simples, their URSC badge tends to give it away .
I've just moved house
Upon moving I found my URSC badges

Straight in the bin

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Gary wrote:Tighter End, I could write an essay why the IFA had no choice but to keep doing deals with Linfield, but at the end of the day it was because the Linfield club had the foresight to buy a huge amount of land and build the biggest stadium. Actually I'm a bit sad about the Glentoran plight at the moment but it's largely the fault of a bunch of directors who sometimes seem to not always have the best interest of the club in mind. >EW

My father played for and supported the Glens all of his life, but luckily I became one of the Wise Men from the East. (And I don't mean there were only 3 of us).

Regarding sectarianism, you are sadly talking bs about the Oval. Virtually every club in the Irish League suffers from it. Thankfully it has improved everywhere and I suggest you look up the comments from the likes of Dessie Gorman and Pat Fenlon about their time at the Blues.

Having said all this, I have been at one Linfield game in 7 years. Gone on to higher standard now. :D
They also all suffer from something more serious, namely being totally shyte at playing football. Linfield, the Crues, the Glens and the rest would struggle to hold their own in England's league 3.
Gary
Chancellor to the King

Post by Gary »

Oh dear T.E., touched a wee nerve have we? I made a post which was clearly in good humour and in the spirit of this messageboard. You replied with 2 posts full of bile, insults and inaccuracies which does you little credit. You seem to be suggesting that all Linfield supporters are sectarian - an accusation which the vast majority of them, including myself, would find extremely offensive. Bully for you, escaping from a background which sounds rather unhappy and going to a rugby school. Unfortunately, you seem to have retained some degree of inherent bitterness which you'd be better trying to keep to yourself.

As for your history lesson, you have been obviously listening to the jealous ramblings of those who support clubs other than Linfield. I've heard it all before. So just to clarify things - the original south stand was paid for by Linfield except for one end of it, the cost of which was shared by Linfield and the Belfast Corporation. Hence it was formerly called the Council Stand, The other end was the Balmoral Stand, paid for by Linfield and previously situated elsewhere. I'm sure everyone can work that bit out. The first stand paid for by the IFA was the North Stand. Yes, that's the one which lost lots of seats every time it contained Glentoran fans. Furthermore the last Agreement between Linfield and the IFA i.e, before the rebuilding of Windsor Park, had to be favourable to Linfield simply because the club were finding it impossible to maintain the whole ground and had it valued for sale. A new, smaller, stadium was to be built instead, (Incidentally on a site which is well known in rugby circles). This would have left the IFA without anywhere to play home international games and so there was a deal which allowed Linfield to remain at Windsor Park. My uncle and a close family friend were involved in the discussions.

Now, that old chestnut, Linfield and Catholics! Linfield had Catholics playing since the War. Indeed there was a Catholic manager . This stopped largely because of the troubles and was partly the disgraceful behaviour of 3 big Linfield Supporters Clubs, but also of elements on the Irish republican side. I was involved in an attempt to sign 2 of the best midfielders in local football - one from Cliftonville and one from Glentoran. I suspect you could work out who they were. One received a visit one night from a man in a balaclava suggesting that it would be a bad idea to play for Linfield. Shamefully, the then Linfield Board actually asked the permission of the 3 biggest Supporters Clubs to sign the other player. Permission was refused. I gave up any role I had with the club at that stage, although I remained a fan of the players.

I will not comment any more on all this. It is a rugby forum. I only mentioned the Glens in jest and was amazed at your reaction. It would be nice if you would withdraw your generalised comments about Linfield people - comments which are sort of sectarian.

Promenader - that's why I'm now with a somewhat bigger and better team. We defeated Shakhtar Donetsk away last week and are still on cloud nine :cheers:
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Russ wrote: I've just moved house
Upon moving I found my URSC badges

Straight in the bin
Spotted Pip walking up the Ormeau Road earlier with some shiny new badges on his lapel.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

G my friend (button pushed) you are quite correct in that this is a Rugby forum and such things should be elsewhere and I know we could kick this around for beards to come.
It's uncomfortable for me to admit that several Directors have done irreparable damage to Glentoran and it's unlikely to survive, but I see the old Club with warts and all. In time you might also be able to view linfield as others do.