Mike Ross

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Mike Ross

Post by Amiga500 »

Looks like he is leaving Leinster next year.

Ross Kane (& Kyle McCall) could do with someone to help him develop as a scrummager.

Rodney Ah You is not reliable.

What do the sages think? I reckon we could do a lot worse than bring him in as a player/coach.
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Re: Mike Ross

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

Scrum coach, yes. Too old and fat to be any use as a player now.
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I have seen nothing of Mike Ross to suggest that he has the goods to be a scrum coach.
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

He knows how to scrumage. What more is there?
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

He has been described in the past as a "scrum nerd" which would suggest he has more interest than the average player in the technicalities.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

What's Greg Feek employed by IRFU for? And has he taken any scrum clinics up here? If not, why not?
Exterminate all rational thought
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:What's Greg Feek employed by IRFU for? And has he taken any scrum clinics up here? If not, why not?
Even if he has there's nothing stopping us from hiring our own full time scrum coach like the other provinces.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:What's Greg Feek employed by IRFU for? And has he taken any scrum clinics up here? If not, why not?
Only coaches Leinster.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Mike Ross is done. Michael Bent has been ahead of him. Michael Bent. Ross could hold up scrum in his day and took advantage of a dearth of tightheads in Ireland. I'll never forget that afternoon in Twickenham when he cried off after getting incinerated at scrum time. Tom Court came on, like a lamb to be gutted, to play tighthead and the D4 meedya crucified Court. Say what you want about Court but he and Afoa destroyed lads in the scrum. That was back when we had a pack.

The best way for Kane to develop now is to let him play.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:I have seen nothing of Mike Ross to suggest that he has the goods to be a scrum coach.
That's interesting Snipe if you'll forgive me I'll ask a pertinent question. Have you seen anything specifically that would suggest to you that he would be a bad scrum coach?

I could be mistaken, unlikely though that is, but I'm pretty sure I've heard Furlong and Marty Moore before him stating publicly how much Rossy had helped their game.

A sure waddyeyeno? Maybe you know best. >EW

Furthermore, given the year we've had, given the injuries to Lutton, Kane, and the uncertainty if Rodders is an occasionally good player or the possibility he's a dud, I'd take a punt on Ross on a one-year contract but sold to him as mainly coaching experience, should he have any wish to go in that direction but also play on. Given his own experience of Jono Gibbes he might just find it attractive.

Ach Waddy................etc etc
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

therealspratt wrote:
Even if he has there's nothing stopping us from hiring our own full time scrum coach like the other provinces.
You're quite correct. I'm not against Ross in a coaching capacity tbf, but the point I was making that we have some young propping talent, and UR should've already been exposing them to the best coaching we have at our disposal regardless. Ross, if nothing else, could scrummage, although I totally agree he did bottle the England match, which says more for Courts balls than Ross's.
Exterminate all rational thought
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

What's Rory think >EW
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

scrum5 wrote:What's Rory think >EW
Top scrummaging prop

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I have seen nothing of Mike Ross to suggest that he has the goods to be a scrum coach.
That's interesting Snipe if you'll forgive me I'll ask a pertinent question. Have you seen anything specifically that would suggest to you that he would be a bad scrum coach?
No
BaggyTrousers wrote: I could be mistaken, unlikely though that is, but I'm pretty sure I've heard Furlong and Marty Moore before him stating publicly how much Rossy had helped their game.
That's more than I heard. Still not a lot though.
Especially if he only knows how to coach tightheads.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Snipe Watson wrote:Especially if he only knows how to coach tightheads.
I'd imagine he'd be very well versed in the stroke/counterstroke that goes on between tight and loose in the scrum.

The thing that stands out to me is that he could scrummage right now and be (very) competitive at it. I've been told that the best way to know what is going on in any given scrum is actually to be in it - since I've no idea myself I have to take that at face value.

So, to me, it wouldn't be as if Ross could only stand on the training pitch and try to view whats happening (as per 99% of scrum coaches in the world) - he could get into the scrum and feel whats really going on with all players under real pressure. It could be a short (but great) window of opportunity for us.