Rory Best: Our coaches are crap.......well nearly!!!

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rory Best: Our coaches are crap.......well nearly!!!

Post by Dave »

bazzaj wrote:
solidarity wrote:
bazzaj wrote:
I understand if one or two have an attitude problem but when there is an entire batch of youngsters that remain undeveloped it can't be coincidence and it must be the playing environment to be blamed.
I've heard this directly from a former academy player. He reckoned that too many of the lads at the academy just weren't committed to hard work and this made the atmosphere debilitating for everybody. While the lads themselves are not blameless, a positive 'atmosphere' comes from the top. It has to be imposed before it becomes part of the culture
That makes sense to me but apparently that means we've got tunnel vision.
They just need a bit of savy that's all.
Yeah but all the games are on TV so we're screwed.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Bloody Winker Watsons analysis is too good dammit

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

rumncoke wrote:An article on All Black values
lists them as

1 Sacrifice of time and life style to be the best

2 respect for the legacy and culture

3 gratitude to considered good enough

4 Acceptance that you won't always get what you want sulking and moaning is a no no

5 Speed not just pace but mind picking the right option

6 Trust that you have the ability to win even when the score board says you losing

7 mental resilience to overcome adversity

8 awareness that you represent you brand

9 open mindedness ( something lacking in many who post here ) accept ideas

10 dedication to master the skills

11 accountability recognising everything can be done better

12 leadership take control of their own responsibilities

13 honesty - about your own performance - and if given a task such as personal conditioning etc doing it

14 Core role -- do what you have been asked to do and trust the other player to do his

15 - continual improvement - always want to strive to do better to take personal performance to a higher level

The thing about those values is they are all player related sweet f- ck all to do with coaching ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suspect these would have been drawn up by the players and the coaches probably buy into them too. Values mean nothing unless the leaders adopt and live them. You can imagine Ritchie reading a list such as that every night before bed and then living the values the following day. I stuggle to see many leaders in the Ulster team but that may because the management don't give them the responsibility or don't listen to them.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

rumncoke wrote:there are some right idiots with tunnel vision in these parts .

if a player has any savvy he will identify his own weakness and work to improve .

thus player development is really in the players hands not the coach .

The function of the coach is to get the players to play as a team and not as individuals .
Just worked out where this bizarre post was coming from.
Its about 30 years ago.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Does anyone actually believe we have the players? I don't.

Don't get me wrong, the coaches are worse than ballix but we are a few good players short as well.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

What does Niall Malone do if Les Kiss has asked Tommy Bowe to analyse Ulsters attack and defence?

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

What does Niall Malone do if Les Kiss has asked Tommy Bowe to analyse Ulsters attack and defence?

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Every hear the expression two are better than one Russ .

Secondly Bowe being part of the team knows who can call the the plays in attack .

There is also the possibility that doing the function of Video analysis you tend to start to look for the same things week after week and fail to look at what the opposition are doing and if they a reading the plays or players before hand. Sometimes players telegraph their intentions .

like Sextons loop is virtually readable every time now from the way he sets to receive the ball and his first step confirms it.

And Russ there are a lot of games to be viewed every week not just the Ulster matches and players to be analysed which is one of the reasons many backs fail to be as effective in their second or third season .

Video analysis is the one aspect of the backroom where the more the merrier in my book everyone sees things differently ask any police man.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:What does Niall Malone do if Les Kiss has asked Tommy Bowe to analyse Ulsters attack and defence?

He would have been better asking Cave, he was taught years ago by the master Steinmetz before video analysis became fashionable in the Northern Hemisphere
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

thecrouch wrote:Does anyone actually believe we have the players? I don't.

Don't get me wrong, the coaches are worse than ballix but we are a few good players short as well.
I do!

I think in Herbst Warwick Rodney Herring and Lutton have shown promise but have not been developed.
Treadwell and Brown also could be something with work.
Back row Reidy Cotzee and Hendy can be a unit.

Our backs are bursting with talent but moving forward we need a 9.
With the right coaching Shanahanadingdong could do a job though.

I don't know if potentially they are going to move many mountains in Europe but then the same would have been said about Leinster and Munster at the start of this season before their coaching changes.

All in all we need a 9 an extra second row and back row, crouch so I'm that regard you are correct.

Our Sid is poor but on the upside with so little in the Irish set up we don't need the cover the others do.
Positives spin there.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

thecrouch wrote:Does anyone actually believe we have the players? I don't.

I don't think one should underestimate the impact decent coaches can have. This does not mean that Ulster will turn into European champions, even with the best coaches in the world at the helm but one should expect the team to look less clueless. I wouldn't ever imply that I belong to the Ulster are Brill brigade but it is easier to believe that the players are Ulster's disposal are better than what they've produced this season. Especially in a season where Glasgow have been gash, it seems almost impossible to believe that Ulster could finish out of the Top 4, yet that seems exactly like what is about to happen. More so, it's not because Ulster have been unlucky. They've just been poor.

More importantly, though, I think the impact of coaching goes well beyond what we see served up on the pitch. The number of young players who break into Ulster's team and then don't really get better (or even get noticeably worse) in the first few seasons should be genuinely concerning. This is not a problem elsewhere. Jackson came into Ulster's first team five years ago and is only now looking like a reasonably settled international; Olding has been unfortunate with injuries but doesn't yet look anything like the next Jack Kyle; (Luke) Marshall has stalled. Compare that to Ringrose who appeared a year ago and is apparently unlucky not to be going on the Lions tour. Or Rob Kearney and Luke Fitzgerald a generation before... There has been a structural problem at Ulster for a number of years about sustained progress after initial breakthroughs. Trimble and Bowe went through exactly the same thing. Again, to me, this comes back to a coaching issue, not one of talent or player quality. In the forwards, it's even more concerning. I don't mean this in any kind of xenophobic way but it is profoundly disturbing that Ulster's starting pack during the international window next season is unlikely to have any players who came through development systems in Ulster. At the same time, there are plenty of young players who've knocked on the door and then gone nowhere. It's hard to see what this is, if not related to coaching.

Ulster, I fear, has some serious structural problems throughout the entire organisation and these things go well beyond the quality of the coaches. At the same time, though, in many respects (and over many years) it seems to me that coaching failures have exacerbated those problems. Talent has gone to waste in Ulster already, in part because of various failures that can be attributed to coaching staff throughout the organisation. Improving that should make a big difference, both to what happens on the field and what happens off it. I don't think it's realistic to think Ulster should be winning the SDC. It is realistic that they should finish Top 3 in this league and maybe even manage to come close to winning a knock-out game of rugby...
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Has Darren Cave shat on someone?

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Has Darren Cave shat on someone?

Probably just Kiss following Joe Schit orders and playing Olding and Marshall or McCloskey despite them not combining well together.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Enemies of Ulster:

Nucifora
Schmidt
Kiss

Anyone would thinks what has been said here and the Dublin plant thread is incorrect, just add your name underneath.

FOLK.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ovalballs
Novice

Post by ovalballs »

Tommy Seymour comments on Ulster are somewhat telling:

Seymour has flourished at Glasgow since joining in 2011 after failing to make his mark at Ulster where he says he was deemed "surplus to requirements".

He has developed into a top-class winger at Scotstoun, but says the thought of pulling on the Lions jersey was not even on his radar when he first arrived at the club.

"I don't think anyone at that age, moving clubs that young, would dare to think along those lines," he said.

"I can never have enough thanks towards Glasgow and the SRU for giving me the chance to carry on playing. When you have to leave a club at that age, somewhat surplus to requirements, you can definitely have doubts in your head - and to have doubts at a young age isn't great.