Rory Best: Our coaches are crap.......well nearly!!!

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rory Best: Our coaches are crap.......well nearly!!!

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Snipe more likely to get a reply from Philomena Cunk or Jimmy Shitpeas.
I know, but I just wanted to give him an opportunity for catharsis and a good night's sleep. I'm thoughtful like that..... so I am. :D
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I've seen better clearouts on united airlines flights than our pack at times.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:I've seen better clearouts on united airlines flights than our pack at times.
Image The best clearout last weekend came from Trimble in the run up to lukes try. Put their reserve prop on his Brennan and out of the game and gave luke a easier run in. We just need our forwards to follow suit. No sign of it happening this season.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

exile-fer-now wrote:Is that what Rory actually said ?
The Telegraph quotes him as saying 'I believe we have the personnel and players....' so he's doing what you'd expect a leader to do, take collective responsibility for the six million dollar question, why can't Ulster do what Munster do (with no excuses about resources and academies that Leinster can lay claim to).

Don't misinterpret me, I absolutely lay the majority of the blame at the coaching; just think about McCloskey, he seems to have all the attributes - size, athleticism, speed, deftness, offloading, the works - yet has his game come on one iota in teh last two years? Marshall and Olding similarly. But the players need to take a long hard look at themselves as well, 'I know nothing' as Manuel used to say but I wonder are these guys burning the midnight oil studying video analysis clips and looking at their game (ala O'Connell, O'Driscoll) and putting in the really hard yards to be fit? - Beckham was in my view only someone with a decent right foot but to be fair to the bloke, working 24/7/52 made him into a half decent player (and the fittest player in the Utd team) - apparently Ronaldo similarly (although a bit more than half decent!). If they don't do this, then life will be good, Ulster will give them a decent salary, designer clothes, girls and even those wonderful orange/yellow boots etc but they'll not be what they aspire to be - no pain no gain!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Marco wrote:
The Telegraph quotes him as saying 'I believe we have the personnel and players....' so he's doing what you'd expect a leader to do, take collective responsibility for the six million dollar question, why can't Ulster do what Munster do (with no excuses about resources and academies that Leinster can lay claim to).

Don't misinterpret me, I absolutely lay the majority of the blame at the coaching; just think about McCloskey, he seems to have all the attributes - size, athleticism, speed, deftness, offloading, the works - yet has his game come on one iota in teh last two years? Marshall and Olding similarly. But the players need to take a long hard look at themselves as well, 'I know nothing' as Manuel used to say but I wonder are these guys burning the midnight oil studying video analysis clips and looking at their game (ala O'Connell, O'Driscoll) and putting in the really hard yards to be fit? - Beckham was in my view only someone with a decent right foot but to be fair to the bloke, working 24/7/52 made him into a half decent player (and the fittest player in the Utd team) - apparently Ronaldo similarly (although a bit more than half decent!). If they don't do this, then life will be good, Ulster will give them a decent salary, designer clothes, girls and even those wonderful orange/yellow boots etc but they'll not be what they aspire to be - no pain no gain!
Beautiful thing about UR PR is that they can send writtem copy that's different to spoken

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
MCBwinwinwin
Initiate

Post by MCBwinwinwin »

It sounds like he made a stock statement so that the great unwashed will keep the faith. It's daft to read in to it. If he want to preach he would say, our drift defence is crap, we need quick line speed and players running out of the line to take attackers before they reach the gain line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MCBwinwinwin
Initiate

Post by MCBwinwinwin »

Gilroy shot out of the line once in the first half last week and nearly brad pitt himself when the attacker got the pass away and he had to scramble back because the cover was crap.

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Marco wrote:

First time I've heard it said that Ulster Rugby are pimps, but very little surprises me.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Will be interesting to see how we fair under a new coach although the playing personnel will obviously change so it's never easy to make a direct comparison. Our pack is pretty crap so it would take a pretty decent coach to get much out of them. You could see the difference that Coetzee made to the side instantly. Half our pack are only there because they're irish qualified and we've no other options. You can get away with a few average players but to compete you need 4-5 really top players in the pack. Even Henderson and Best have been average enough when available. I'm hopeful that a new coaching set-up can improve things but fundamentally our pack are too tom kite to do much with I'm afraid.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Russ wrote:
Marco wrote:

Beautiful thing about UR PR is that they can send writtem copy that's different to spoken

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I agree with some of this but I don't agree to put the onus and the blame at the feet of young players lack of drive.
They follow examples coaching and leadership.

At Man United it was Fergies management that set the example for Beckham and Co and they followed Cantonas lead for the extra hours put in.

With us there is something wrong with the set.up if you leave youngsters development as their own responsibility.
Management and senior players need to guide them.

I understand if one or two have an attitude problem but when there is an entire batch of youngsters that remain undeveloped it can't be coincidence and it must be the playing environment to be blamed.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Look....... it's very simple, our coaching is woeful, I have irrefutable evidence and of course no, I won't tell you from where.

I do remember when these same coaches appeared to have something to offer, but that has come and gone, it is simply fact that no coach, not Gar Jenkins at Llanelli, nor Guy Noves at Toulouse, two of the longest standing coaches I can recall, eventually the players have heard it all before and what once worked doesn't any more. Deccie Kidney had a long stint with Munster but maybe it's easy to forget that it was in too shorter spells and Paulie said you'd get fed up eventually.

These were 3 very good coaches who all went on to coach their countries, but the writing had been on the wall for all three as their clubs were either declining or in Deccies case, he was called to higher office but significantly his main man had agreed his tenure was wearing thin despite winning the HC as his last act in 2008.

Though it may not appear to be the case, I have no personal axe to grind with Doak and Clarke, though I very much resent them as a pair allowing their egos to get in the way of squad harmony. I've heard it from too many sources for it to be untrue and that has gone on too long, their positions are untenable.

That'll said, both have given a Ulster their best both as players and coaches but someone with just the barest knowledge of rugby can see that change is badly needed. I wish both the best of luck for their futures for I take no joy in anyone being sacked but this just had become long overdue. I remain unconvinced about Kiss also and the onus is very much on him to produce something better next year for he will have nowhere to hide, nobody to blame.

Folk thinking some of us are reading too much into what Rory specifically said, sorry but you are wrong. Exile can protest about he or his relation or his best friend, whichever applies, but my information is not from people who don't know and I do not have the slightest doubt that it is true.

I know of at least 3 home grown players, all internationals who are able to compare Schmidt's cocaching team with Kiss's, who have confided that they believe the coaching situation at Ulster in its entirety is a farce.

Take it or leave it but I stand over ever word.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

bazzaj wrote:
I understand if one or two have an attitude problem but when there is an entire batch of youngsters that remain undeveloped it can't be coincidence and it must be the playing environment to be blamed.
I've heard this directly from a former academy player. He reckoned that too many of the lads at the academy just weren't committed to hard work and this made the atmosphere debilitating for everybody. While the lads themselves are not blameless, a positive 'atmosphere' comes from the top. It has to be imposed before it becomes part of the culture
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Marco wrote:

First time I've heard it said that Ulster Rugby are pimps, but very little surprises me.
Sponsored of course by ScrewfixImage

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

there are some right idiots with tunnel vision in these parts .

if a player has any savvy he will identify his own weakness and work to improve .

thus player development is really in the players hands not the coach .

The function of the coach is to get the players to play as a team and not as individuals .

The draw back against player development or lack of success is down to the fact every game is televised thus the opposition are aware of each players strength and weakness and each team and how to exploit the weaknesses and counter the strength of a team .

in recent games ,In my opinion , Kiss has been trying to create a 3 option 10 game with Jackson - Olding - and Marshall . To lessen the predictability of the Ulster attack .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

solidarity wrote:
bazzaj wrote:
I've heard this directly from a former academy player. He reckoned that too many of the lads at the academy just weren't committed to hard work and this made the atmosphere debilitating for everybody. While the lads themselves are not blameless, a positive 'atmosphere' comes from the top. It has to be imposed before it becomes part of the culture
That makes sense to me but apparently that means we've got tunnel vision.
They just need a bit of savy that's all.