Munster versus a side they are expected to beat.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Munster versus a side they are expected to beat.

Post by damianmcr »

Seen that yesterday. Such bullshit.

He must have seen a different game at Thurmond Park. Swapping numbers too........
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
image.jpeg
Well sure if that happened then the result is irrelevant eh?

These cheerleaders really get on my goat Image.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Munster versus a side they are expected to beat.

Post by Joe Schmo »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
image.jpeg
he seemed more interested in making new friends and going on a bus ride than watching rugby.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

They're all getting together to watch West Side Story.

We expected to be beaten yesterday, but the team somehow put themselves in a winning position and then p!shed it away, so we feel entitled to bitch about it.
After Charlie's fighting talk and rallying cry in Friday's smelegraph, I was expecting big things from him, but he was gash. He made no mention of any injury and i didn't see him get injured during the game, so I'm hoping some of our coaching staff/team mates, captains ask him what the feck he was doing because he sure as hell wasnt playing rugby. I seen more effort from an blind epileptic, eating noodles with chopsticks.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Joe Schmo wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
image.jpeg
he seemed more interested in making new friends and going on a bus ride than watching rugby.
He should try dogging.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Dave wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
image.jpeg
He should try dogging.
with Doak and Clarke.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

ruckover wrote:Can we calm it down a bit about Piutau please.

Yes he was completely disinterested yesterday.
Yes he was very poor yesterday.
Was he carrying an injury, perhaps. I don't know for sure.

But to start questioning his entire skill set is absurd. He still has the capability to turn a game on its head at any point from practically nothing. He is still our most dangerous back. He just needs to be in the right mindset, which I completely agree he wasn't in yesterday.
Piutau was clattered on the hip in the collisiion at the kick off that ended Sweetnam's day.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:So when are we going to have a serious discussion on Piutau on here?
Imo he is a waste of €500k or whatever we're paying for his "skills."

The guy can basically sidestep, truck it up and tackle.
His passing and kicking game is shocking, he's positionally all over the show, and yesterday, the nadir was the total lack of interest and commitment he showed. Like Afoa, he doesn't seem to want to be here.
Personally, if Wasps want him back, f*ck him let him go. His was MIA when we needed him most and his performances have nosedived in recent months.

Let him and Ah Ye go embezzle someone elses coin, and use our own talent or get a few more Saffers in who actually buy into the team and want to play here.
CI... I am not saying he isn't a good player but you can see why the AB's passed up the opportunity. I do however feel that he was a waste of a contract because more than anything we needed players in different positions yet we forged ahead with this star signing at £500K a year. Why or who because if not mistaken Doak was in temporary charge and Kiss was still a year off yet he came. I also know for a fact that there where some at the very highest level of UR that questioned any need for him yet he came... was it because we needed a star name to keep sponsors on board that we could still attract the best and/or was the decision made by someone outside of the coaching staff.. I wonder.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Cockatrice wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:So when are we going to have a serious discussion on Piutau on here?

His passing and kicking game is shocking, he's positionally all over the show, and yesterday, the nadir was the total lack of interest and commitment he showed. Like Afoa, he doesn't seem to want to be here.
Personally, if Wasps want him back, f*ck him let him go. His was MIA when we needed him most and his performances have nosedived in recent months.

Let him and Ah Ye go embezzle someone elses coin, and use our own talent or get a few more Saffers in who actually buy into the team and want to play here.
CI... I am not saying he isn't a good player but you can see why the AB's passed up the opportunity. I do however feel that he was a waste of a contract because more than anything we needed players in different positions yet we forged ahead with this star signing at £500K a year. Why or who because if not mistaken Doak was in temporary charge and Kiss was still a year off yet he came. I also know for a fact that there where some at the very highest level of UR that questioned any need for him yet he came... was it because we needed a star name to keep sponsors on board that we could still attract the best and/or was the decision made by someone outside of the coaching staff.. I wonder.
AB's didn't pass him up - he might have just about made the RWC squad if he hadn't signed for Ulster. NZRU probably didn't break the bank to try and keep him but no doubt they wanted him to further develop.

He's a cracking talent but wing is probably the last position I would have signed a NIQ. Total madness.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Everybody expected a massacre ( Dave --63 -0 and mass murderon the streets of Limerick )-it didn't happen and LB point is more than most thought we'd come away with.

Unfortunately Ulster were under pressure before they put a foot on the pitch and pressure makes mistakes especially among backs who are expected to be match winners .

Olding needs a couple of weeks off over the season he has played 10 - 12 -13 and, without Payne at the back directing the defence, is out of position frequently in defence . I have stated I have concluded that Kiss was trying to play a 3 option 10 ( Jackson -Olding -Marshall ) in the midfield as first receiver in the hope of making the Ulster attack less predictable and to some extent it is back firing because again players are out of position and unsure when they are the intended receiver hence Handling errors . I have concluded that Olding is the player most affected and his positioning has become confused.

Charlie is a marked man and thus becomes quickly surrounded by defenders and trys to showboat his way out of the circle
instead of taking on the first man up -- or passing and running in support of the ball carrier -- which would be a better option because tacklers would lay-off the ball carrier marking Charlie.

Saturday confirmed for me that Ulster have a few players approaching the end of their careers besides Wilson .

Many are of the opinion that Munster played badly - you only play as well as the opposition allow --and unlike Ulster I can't remember to many unforced errors by Munster who were never under the same pressure for a result .
The truth is they missed Stander. Stander is worth about 3-6 penalties a game to Munster both in attack and defence, as well as being a major ball carrier. The penalties take Munster 40 YARDS up the pitch with possession every time, conserving energy and effort .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BackOfTheStand
Novice

Post by BackOfTheStand »

I Returned late last night having thoroughly enjoyed my first Thomond Park experience. I must congratulate all the Ulster fans who were there, they could be heard singing and cheering before during and after the match. I must admit I was disappointed not to hear The Fields of Athenry ringing out during the match. Maybe like Ravenhill they need a band to compliment their singing. I really appreciated the local supporters who guided me out from the City Centre to the ground and for the banter and craic we had in the Dug Out before and after the game. It was great to eventually meet the Stripped Blazer Boys, I've seen them many times at home and away games. This may have been my first visit to Thomond but it certainly be my last.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BackOfTheStand wrote:I Returned late last night having thoroughly enjoyed my first Thomond Park experience. I must congratulate all the Ulster fans who were there, they could be heard singing and cheering before during and after the match. I must admit I was disappointed not to hear The Fields of Athenry ringing out during the match. Maybe like Ravenhill they need a band to compliment their singing. I really appreciated the local supporters who guided me out from the City Centre to the ground and for the banter and craic we had in the Dug Out before and after the game. It was great to eventually meet the Stripped Blazer Boys, I've seen them many times at home and away games. This may have been my first visit to Thomond but it certainly be my last.
My throat is still sore!

Their pre-match song is camper than a row of tents.

Munster should have points deducted for the behaviour of a slightly unhinged lady near the tunnel, who was disgruntled throughout at the passionate support for the Ulstermen. She may have got perhaps one drop of stout on her foot when Ulster scored but reacted by tipping the rest of the young fella's pint all over him!

He took it like a gentleman, needless to say >appl
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cockatrice wrote:

I'm not saying he's not a good player either, but for a multi cap AB he lacks many basic skills. He'll fit well in a team where his strengths are magnified and weaknesses covered by others ie Wassups. Not at Ulster. He's not the player we needed.
He has been correctly described here as a luxury player- cherry and icing when we needed cement.
If he was here to promote UR as "glamour" then feck UR, as its backfired, and if he bales it'll do more damage than good to our already diminished rep. Managers hounded out, players leave to develop better elsewhere, coaches bale early, stagnant management and thinking, player insubordination, spineless waffling board and CEO- It goes on and on year after year.
Wonder what we're paying Jonno or does he just fancy the ultimate challenge of turning around and clearing out a team of posers, wafflers, spineless marshmallow men and their ego massagers, and turning them into some sort of effective unit that makes teams think twice about taking the pi$h? His greatest challenge yet imo. That would be worth €500k per annum, not CP imo.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

rumncoke wrote: Saturday confirmed for me that Ulster have a few players approaching the end of their careers besides Wilson.
RW, TB, AAT it seems, Chad, even Rory has shown wear and tear. All that class and experience we currently are miles from replacing, adding in RP.
Exterminate all rational thought
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

Shan wrote:Feck but Munster were poor today. POM turned up, the rest of the backrow didn't bother. The rest of the pack just didn't seem to be firing on all cylinders. Lloyd did well, probably better than we could have expected even given the circumstances of his place in the starting team. Saili continues to be a pain to watch. One minute doing great things, the next getting caught out.

Munster won a game they should have won in terms of the overall difference in strength of both squads, however as it turned out on the pitch Munster gave Ulster every possible opportunity to win, short of actually falling asleep on the pitch, and Ulster still could not get the job done. Ulster backs were poor. The only one really of any particular use is Jackson. To be fair to Stockdale he was out of position to make room for a guy who has some similarities to non-rugby player Van Der Heever.

As for the afore-mentioned Piatau - If I was an Ulster supporter I would be livid with him because today he was an absolute disgrace. I don't mind my team losing as long as the players have tried their best. Most Ulster players do try their best and it is not their fault they are just not good enough, or well enough coached. Piatau is different though. He is dishonest in terms of endeavour. I'd take Gilroy over him any day. At least he tries.
At the start of another potentially poor season, there wasn’t much peep from the turnips. They turn the season round after milking the death of Axle for all its worth, suddenly they're a shower of gobshites again. Looking forward to Saracens grinding them into the dirt.
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag