Ulster v Treviso

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Ulster v Treviso

Post by damianmcr »

We have Treviso visiting on Friday night. I'm sure we all expect to come away with 5pts. Hopefully Coetzee has gotten over whatever ailment he had. What about Ludik? Will Joe want Payne starting this one and where? Kearney looks busted (more so than usual) so Payne might be needed for Ireland.

I'd like a something like this in the backs

Ruan
Nelson
Charles
Olding
Payne
Gilroy
Stockdale

That's if Ludik isn't available who I wouldn't mind at 13 with Payne at 15. But then I'd put Stockdale on the wing. Hell its hard.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Treviso

Post by Dave »

Our best back three is Charlie, Stockdale and Ludik. Payne can fill in at 13 if Cavey remains out. I'd like Olding to have a run at 10. A toss up between McCloskey and Luke at 12. One you can't get the ball out of his hands and the other you can't get it into his hands.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

If Kearney is doubtful, Schmidt may want Jared at 15. For exactly 55 minutes.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:We have Treviso visiting on Friday night. I'm sure we all expect to come away with 5pts. Hopefully Coetzee has gotten over whatever ailment he had. What about Ludik? Will Joe want Payne starting this one and where? Kearney looks busted (more so than usual) so Payne might be needed for Ireland.

I'd like a something like this in the backs

Ruan
Nelson
Charles
Olding
Payne
Gilroy
Stockdale

That's if Ludik isn't available who I wouldn't mind at 13 with Payne at 15. But then I'd put Stockdale on the wing. Hell its hard.
I suspect Damo, that Payne will be requested/told by D4 that he plays 15 this week, but even without their input I'd want him at 15. And even more so, if they were to play those players, I'd like to see Stockcube at 13 with a centre who is not entirely handless inside him.

We know Stockcube himself fancies at centre in the long term, and I'm beginning to think he could be a blinder there.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'd like to see a bit more variety from Nelson. I'm far from convinced by him at 10 he can move the ball off either hand, but he's not really a flyhalf, yet. I know it's a massive ask for a guy who has just come back from a year out of the game and is really only a beginner at 10, but we need a proper 10 when we go to Dave Parade. If Paddy plays anything more than a bit part role against England, we'll not have him available.
It's a problem.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Nelsons long term is in the back three.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Nelsons long term is in the back three.
I'd say in the back one. When he falls back into that sweeping role, he looks totally comfortable and assured. At 10 he's stilted and unnatural when attacking. Looks to me like he's rattled by the lack of space and time so plays it by the numbers. It takes years to become a fluid 10 and only those with the correct skill set make the grade. I'm not saying he doesn't have what it takes, but I am saying that we haven't seen it yet. Even before the injury, I wasn't as convinced as some.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

15 or a Trimble style of winger.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I don't think Nelson is even being asked to do anything but play by the numbers.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I actually feel Nelson is coming on grand, nothing outstanding, nothing outstandingly wrong, getting as much experience as he can with Ruan, before he is taken from us, will serve him well.

Ruan's had feck all to work with at 9 ... but he has brought on one classy 10 and could go a long way to helping another ....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

I agree. Nelson doing just fine.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Players simply cannot be allowed time in one position. They must be written off ASAP.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:I'd like to see a bit more variety from Nelson. I'm far from convinced by him at 10 he can move the ball off either hand, but he's not really a flyhalf, yet. I know it's a massive ask for a guy who has just come back from a year out of the game and is really only a beginner at 10, but we need a proper 10 when we go to Dave Parade. If Paddy plays anything more than a bit part role against England, we'll not have him available.
It's a problem.
Now understand that I'm not disagreeing with you, but funny nobody raised this after the Weegies match.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
EastTerraceUR
Novice

Post by EastTerraceUR »

Team I'd like to see,

Warwick, Herring, Herbst, Merwe, O'Connor, Ross, Reidy, Coetzee;
Pienaar, Herron, Piutau, Olding, Stockdale, Gilroy, Payne;

Andrew, Black, Lutton, Treadwell, Diack, P Marshall, Nelson, Ludik

Rested - Henry, Bowe, L Marshall, Cave, Browne, Wilson
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

[quote="EastTerraceUR"]Team I'd like to see,

Warwick, Herring, Herbst, Merwe, O'Connor, Ross, Reidy, Coetzee;
Pienaar, Herron, Piutau, Olding, Stockdale, Gilroy, Payne;

Andrew, Black, Lutton, Treadwell, Diack, P Marshall, Nelson, Ludik

Rested - Henry, Bowe, L Marshall, Cave, Browne, Wilson[/quote ]No thanks would rather McPhillips got gametime
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.